Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to doha in september

Moving to doha in september

Old Jul 20th 2012, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

karabrittan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to doha in september

My husband, two children and i are moving to doha in september and i am really keen to get out there and meet people, any suggestions? I have heard a bit about doha mums, has anyone been and was it successful. My husband will be working for qatar foundation and they are providing accommodation for the first three months, unfortunately at this stage we have no idea where we will be based im hoping for a compund villa. My four year old little girl will be going to compass international, has anyone had any experience of this school, if so please do share any feedback. Both my husband and i are very sociable, active people and we are really keen to prepare for this huge journey we are about to embark on which im sure will be both exciting and challenging. We want to arrive as prepared as we can so any useful tips, experiences would be most welcome. Thank you kara
Old Jul 21st 2012, 5:50 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to doha in september

hope it all goes well, I am in Dubai so of no help at all, check out Qatar Living website
Old Jul 21st 2012, 5:56 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, you'll meet many UK expats in Doha. Try these for starters:

- Rugby Club
- Yacht Club
- Hash House Harriers

Tips:
- For immigration, your hubby will need to bring a UK Police Clearance Report and his Degree Certificate, both attested by a UK Solicitor, the UK FCO and the Qatar Embassy in London. Best to start this now. You'll need your marriage and kids birth certs done too.
- Check everyone's passports for expiry dates and renew if nearing expiry.
- Bring passport photos of everyone, on a light blue background.
- Both bring an International Driving Licence, available from the PO for a few quid.

Hope this helps.

[J]
Old Jul 21st 2012, 6:17 am
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all

QF is a good employer with all the fringe benefits thrown into the employment packages and Compass is the most expensive school in Doha for expat children. Not sure its the best as DESS is the one that everyone tries (and fails usually) to get into. All in all that is a good basis for coming out here although your husband will have a three month probation period to get through.

On the social side you will meet people as you go along, through living in your compound where everyone is in the same boat, or clubs and activities you or your children get involved in. My wife is constantly meeting new people through my sons school and his little friends coming over. Its a different set up from the UK but once you are here and settled you will find your feet.

This is not the UK by any means though, the locals are backwards, arrogant and ignorant and driving can at times be life threatening. Weather is extreme and racism is rife. Generally the place itself is a sh****le with a few malls where you can go for a wander around. You can exist over here but at the end of it all you need to be banking a few quid per month to make it worthwhile.

Take everything a day at a time and expect delays and mistakes in any process or application.

Best of luck

Old Jul 21st 2012, 6:51 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Hi, you'll meet many UK expats in Doha. Try these for starters:

- Rugby Club
- Yacht Club
- Hash House Harriers

Tips:
- For immigration, your hubby will need to bring a UK Police Clearance Report and his Degree Certificate, both attested by a UK Solicitor, the UK FCO and the Qatar Embassy in London. Best to start this now. You'll need your marriage and kids birth certs done too.
- Check everyone's passports for expiry dates and renew if nearing expiry.
- Bring passport photos of everyone, on a light blue background.
- Both bring an International Driving Licence, available from the PO for a few quid.

Hope this helps.

[J]
Really? First I've heard of this one.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 7:41 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Really? First I've heard of this one.

Depends on your job. Most here you don't need any paperwork attesting but for a Government Department you may do. Probably just best to ask them 1st before spending money and time attesting them all........
Old Jul 21st 2012, 4:33 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Depends on your job. Most here you don't need any paperwork attesting but for a Government Department you may do. Probably just best to ask them 1st before spending money and time attesting them all........
I thought QF was effectively a Gov. Dept., certainly public sector, hence my post. Worth checking out the requirements beforehand.

A few more tips:

- Beware of extortionate UK mobile phone roaming/ data/ voicemail charges in Qatar. Pick up a couple of QTel Hala sim cards when you arrive.

- Consider bringing a smoke alarm and CO detector. I've yet to find a working one in any apartment that I've lived in (four to date).

- Bring a few electrical extension leads with multiple outlets, and plenty of two-pin to three-pin adaptors.

- Beware the term 'furnished accommodation'. This varies hugely and at worst you'll find yourself having to equip your kitchen with a kettle, cutlery, cookware etc. Similarly you might well find the beds have a mattress only and no pillows/ linen etc.

My experience, anyhow.

[J]
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
I thought QF was effectively a Gov. Dept., certainly public sector, hence my post. Worth checking out the requirements beforehand.

A few more tips:

- Beware of extortionate UK mobile phone roaming/ data/ voicemail charges in Qatar. Pick up a couple of QTel Hala sim cards when you arrive.

- Consider bringing a smoke alarm and CO detector. I've yet to find a working one in any apartment that I've lived in (four to date).

- Bring a few electrical extension leads with multiple outlets, and plenty of two-pin to three-pin adaptors.

- Beware the term 'furnished accommodation'. This varies hugely and at worst you'll find yourself having to equip your kitchen with a kettle, cutlery, cookware etc. Similarly you might well find the beds have a mattress only and no pillows/ linen etc.

My experience, anyhow.

[J]
Why on earth would you want to bring extension leads and adaptors here ?
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 10:57 am
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all

To either electrocute or hang yourself when you realise that you have landed on the arse**ole of the earth.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abbey08
To either electrocute or hang yourself when you realise that you have landed on the arse**ole of the earth.
Sounds like your still suffering mate , can't even go out and get pissed now...

Not sure if i'll make it through Ramadan , some crazy local nearly wiped me out on Qatar Decoration roundabout this morning . I was ready for the departure lounge by 7.00am .

Welcome to hell....
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 11:25 am
Living the dream

My level of suffering is usually equal to the amount of interaction I have with the locals.

When it gets bad I have to log on to HSBC Expat to remind myself why I am here.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

My level of suffering is usually equal to the amount of interaction I have with the locals.

Same as mate . I won't be shedding many tears when i leave here that's for sure .
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 2:11 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

I work a lot with QF, it seems to me they're a decent employer (they always pay their bills which, believe me, is not common in the arab world...).
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 4:10 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Why on earth would you want to bring extension leads and adaptors here ?
'cos they will have a CE mark in the UK and be safe for the kiddies to plug in their Nintendo, whereas here, well...
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

bunjiman is an unknown quantity at this point

Cripes is it that bad? Welcome to come to Dubai if you fancy some time out...

Out of interest I'd heard rumours that the World Cup has been revoked. Is this bull5hit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.