Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Djibouti

Moving to Djibouti

Old Dec 9th 2007, 3:23 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold
Default Moving to Djibouti

My Christmas present is a six month posting to the Djibouti office which came in recognition of the fantastic job I'd done here in Kuwait. The conversation went along the lines of:

'....part of Ethiopia / Eritrea innit?...'

'It is by the sea'

'Why do you want me to go?...'

'You like all of the crap places - Kuwait, Kazahkstan, Mozambique...'

'But they all begin with K.' (Please realise that the person I discussed this with has zero sense of humour - possible negative infinity..)

'You can speak French'

'Can I have...'

'No - you can retain your Kuwait salary'

So I'm off to the Horn of Africa or wherever it is for six months. Apparantly it has a French Colonial legacy and so is actually nice to live in - and being one of the really poor countries then it will be indescribably expensive to live in.

I looked it up on my old and new map and see the Ethiopia gave up its only access to the sea by ceding Djibouti or have I got it wrong.

I get the feeling it is a fly blown miserable place full of French Foreign Legion twits from Glasgow...Pleanty of opportunity for a meaningful new year resolution.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 3:26 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Djibouti

I hope they have internet over there so you can keep us updated about your misfortune...
Old Dec 9th 2007, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dago
My Christmas present is a six month posting to the Djibouti office which came in recognition of the fantastic job I'd done here in Kuwait. The conversation went along the lines of:

'....part of Ethiopia / Eritrea innit?...'

'It is by the sea'

'Why do you want me to go?...'

'You like all of the crap places - Kuwait, Kazahkstan, Mozambique...'

'But they all begin with K.' (Please realise that the person I discussed this with has zero sense of humour - possible negative infinity..)

'You can speak French'

'Can I have...'

'No - you can retain your Kuwait salary'

So I'm off to the Horn of Africa or wherever it is for six months. Apparantly it has a French Colonial legacy and so is actually nice to live in - and being one of the really poor countries then it will be indescribably expensive to live in.

I looked it up on my old and new map and see the Ethiopia gave up its only access to the sea by ceding Djibouti or have I got it wrong.

I get the feeling it is a fly blown miserable place full of French Foreign Legion twits from Glasgow...Pleanty of opportunity for a meaningful new year resolution.
Your Liaison Officer has a remarkable sense of humour...Innit...
Old Dec 9th 2007, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

great! I'd love an opportunity like that! What is it you do, Dago? Have us round for a drink and a laugh once you get settled in!
Old Dec 9th 2007, 3:38 pm
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jvr20
great! I'd love an opportunity like that! What is it you do, Dago? Have us round for a drink and a laugh once you get settled in!
Work on projects with World Bank who lend to subprime customers to make roads, dams, power stations and I make sure they don't spend the money on Helicopter Gunships. Unless that is what the loan is for - which, of course, it never is. I'm on the 'side' of the donor organisation.

eg Kuwait Islamic Development is working in (Islamic) W. Africa building infrastructure capacity and I've been working with / alongside a big contractor on projects going back some time - years on and off. Ended up putting the family there - fantastic place.

Have not guessed whats going on in Djibouti - likely to be World Food Programme distribution - most of which is currently done in Dubai.

I went to Houston last year and there were two really fat blokes taking up far too much space on the baggage reclaim - saw their bags and they were WFP - shows they eat all the stuff - and like to be in Dubai rather than Kampala / Beira etc.

Come for a piss up by all means - going in Feb!! - hey - that's nearly next month.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Work on projects with World Bank who lend to subprime customers to make roads, dams, power stations and I make sure they don't spend the money on Helicopter Gunships. Unless that is what the loan is for - which, of course, it never is. I'm on the 'side' of the donor organisation.

eg Kuwait Islamic Development is working in (Islamic) W. Africa building infrastructure capacity and I've been working with / alongside a big contractor on projects going back some time - years on and off. Ended up putting the family there - fantastic place.

Have not guessed whats going on in Djibouti - likely to be World Food Programme distribution - most of which is currently done in Dubai.

I went to Houston last year and there were two really fat blokes taking up far too much space on the baggage reclaim - saw their bags and they were WFP - shows they eat all the stuff - and like to be in Dubai rather than Kampala / Beira etc.

Come for a piss up by all means - going in Feb!! - hey - that's nearly next month.
UNOPS/UNHRC???
Old Dec 9th 2007, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
UNOPS/UNHRC???
No - probably UNCTAD......

......."Under No Circumstances Take A Decision"............
Old Dec 9th 2007, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Dean
No - probably UNCTAD......

......."Under No Circumstances Take A Decision"............
Send me their Vendor Application Form...Kindly...
Old Dec 10th 2007, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

ahhh... one of 'those' issues where my 'oil man' side and my 'Grauniad-reader' side are in eternal conflict
Old Dec 10th 2007, 5:17 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, my hubby flew there a few years back and had to stay overnight - the airline had agreed to a short-term charter (can't remember who it was for now) but was for a couple of months. He had been rostered 3 of these trips during a month period and after the first one blatantly refused to go back - he said it was absolutely apalling - the hotel they stayed (which was the best one there) was disgusting and during breakfast he saw 3 huge rats running amongst the tables - don't think there will be many recommendations on tripadvisor
Old Dec 10th 2007, 12:44 pm
Camel Spotting

Bubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fairydust
OMG, my hubby flew there a few years back and had to stay overnight - the airline had agreed to a short-term charter (can't remember who it was for now) but was for a couple of months. He had been rostered 3 of these trips during a month period and after the first one blatantly refused to go back - he said it was absolutely apalling - the hotel they stayed (which was the best one there) was disgusting and during breakfast he saw 3 huge rats running amongst the tables - don't think there will be many recommendations on tripadvisor
They wasnt just rats, they WAS the breakfast!!
Old Dec 10th 2007, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairydust
FD, this poor guy has to go and live there, lol...you could've been a bit more gentle with him, doll...!!!

MM, xx