British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Moving to Dhahran to work for BAE. Any advice? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-dhahran-work-bae-any-advice-625830/)

Bonam25 Aug 15th 2009 11:25 pm

Moving to Dhahran to work for BAE. Any advice?

Hi, I've just accepted a position teaching English for BAE in Dhahran, and will start in December. Any information about living in Dhahran and/or working for BAE there would be really appreciated. I guess that I'd particularly like to know about life on the compound, Dhahran, and teaching for BAE.

Many thanks in advance,

Leigh.

graham_s Aug 19th 2009 6:47 pm

Re: Moving to Dhahran to work for BAE. Any advice?

Originally Posted by Bonam25 (Post 7846598)
Hi, I've just accepted a position teaching English for BAE in Dhahran, and will start in December. Any information about living in Dhahran and/or working for BAE there would be really appreciated. I guess that I'd particularly like to know about life on the compound, Dhahran, and teaching for BAE.

Many thanks in advance,

Leigh.

I'm in a similar position, I'm moving to Dharahn to start as a tech trainer.

benzonar Aug 19th 2009 7:59 pm

New purpose built compound will be ready in Jan, all mod cons.

Not far from the beach and the causeway, much better than Riyadh.

Bonam25 Aug 20th 2009 12:25 pm

Any information about life on a compound would be great! Is the food alright? Much of a social life? Are there many sporting activities going on?

benzonar Aug 20th 2009 1:52 pm

There will be plenty of social life if the Riyadh one is anything to go by.

Will have gym, squash courts, tennis, basketball, swimming pools, rugby and football, there is both a PADI and BSAC dive club at the local beach.

Food is generally pretty good, lots of places to eat in Khobar as well though.

Bonam25 Aug 20th 2009 2:15 pm

Thanks a lot. And, maybe it's a stupid question, but are there ANY women around? On the compounds I mean.

And, one more thing. Hve you ever been across to Bahrain? What's it like there?

Many thanks.

benzonar Aug 20th 2009 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bonam25 (Post 7860432)
Thanks a lot. And, maybe it's a stupid question, but are there ANY women around? On the compounds I mean.

And, one more thing. Hve you ever been across to Bahrain? What's it like there?

Many thanks.

Women, well there are wives.

But I know in Riyadh they used to lay transport on for the nurses from the local hospitals for some of the social events.

Bahrain is ok, but after a few months in Saudi it will seem like something special. We used to pop over for the evening on a regular basis, takes about 40 minutes from the compound.