Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving Date! Things Finally Speed Up....

Moving Date! Things Finally Speed Up....

Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving Date! Things Finally Speed Up....

Well, went for my induction and medical today, and have got several bits of key info sorted for my move to Riyadh.

Have got accommodation sorted - will be staying at the Salwa Village Garden compound and very nice it is too, from what pics I've seen. Will prob have to share to start with, but a new compound is being opened up soon - Palm Courts, so that should help spread out the over crowding.

I'm looking at flying out there on Sun 6th April. technically, my employment starts on the 5th, and then I'll have to wait for a couple of weeks to get the Iqama sorted.

So all of that is the good news....

Here's the bad news....The most worrying thing though, is that there is a waiting list of up to 2.5 - 3 yrs for the married families scheme. Which means I do not qualify for getting flights for my wife and step daughter to come out, and ALSO this means I have pay for my daughters schooling myself. She is nearly 14 which means by the time we get on the scheme, she'll be 16 and they will stop the financing of education at that age anyway.

I can only see two options. One - my wife gets a job ( she's a teacher ) and we pay for her schooling ourselves.

Two - My wife gets a job and as part of her package, she gets school fees paid for.

Can anyone see things happening differently - other than I just go on my own - which isn't really something we even want to consider.

So, its all systems go but with some concerns.

cheers
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

nudda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving Date! Things Finally Speed Up....

Great stuff ! Good to hear another brit making it out ...

I have no idea about your questions , sorry. but have some questions myself. Theyre pretty much the same I have been asking around. I am looking to move into either Saudi or UAE (UAE pref) but am not sure which recruiters to contact and which ones are reliable/genuine. The field I want to go into is IT related but more specifically Informatio nsecurity. Any help would be greatly apprecited

All the best with your job and funds for your step daughters girl !!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:42 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bsme.org.uk/schools/

if she can get a job as a teacher she may well get the school fees covered for her daughter. Did you check about visa problems with her being your step daughter? my husband used to work in Saudi and he says it is pretty strict on stuff like that
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Well, went for my induction and medical today, and have got several bits of key info sorted for my move to Riyadh.

Have got accommodation sorted - will be staying at the Salwa Village Garden compound and very nice it is too, from what pics I've seen. Will prob have to share to start with, but a new compound is being opened up soon - Palm Courts, so that should help spread out the over crowding.

I'm looking at flying out there on Sun 6th April. technically, my employment starts on the 5th, and then I'll have to wait for a couple of weeks to get the Iqama sorted.

So all of that is the good news....

Here's the bad news....The most worrying thing though, is that there is a waiting list of up to 2.5 - 3 yrs for the married families scheme. Which means I do not qualify for getting flights for my wife and step daughter to come out, and ALSO this means I have pay for my daughters schooling myself. She is nearly 14 which means by the time we get on the scheme, she'll be 16 and they will stop the financing of education at that age anyway.

I can only see two options. One - my wife gets a job ( she's a teacher ) and we pay for her schooling ourselves.

Two - My wife gets a job and as part of her package, she gets school fees paid for.

Can anyone see things happening differently - other than I just go on my own - which isn't really something we even want to consider.

So, its all systems go but with some concerns.

cheers
Bantam,

Don't know Salwa Village but if it's that good, you've done well. Good places in Riyadh that aren't completely full are about as rare as one-legged can-can dancers........

And keep "Palm Courts" to yourself - new compounds are hard to find so that one will be in huge demand if word gets out.

Something puzzles me - WHAT married families "scheme"? Never heard of it. Is it related specifically to your employer? Not aware of anyone at my place being told of waiting times. Send me a PM with more details if you like.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
http://www.bsme.org.uk/schools/

if she can get a job as a teacher she may well get the school fees covered for her daughter. Did you check about visa problems with her being your step daughter? my husband used to work in Saudi and he says it is pretty strict on stuff like that

Thanks BC, she is applying to a few schools, but yet to hear anything. She's a bit nervous and full of anxiety as she feels because her subjects are langauges ( ENhlish, German, French ) she won't be in demand as schools are only after technical teachers, eg science, maths, etc.

Did check you the situation with my step daughter - and as is the case with UAE, we need a letter from her father, giving his approval for the daugher to leave th UK, which has to be from a solicitor and has to be original letter!

If he chooses not to give the approval, I guess I'm coming out on my own!

Crikey - 6th April, only a few weeks to go !
Old Feb 8th 2008, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anyone got any first hand experience of Salwa Village? Any good? Apparently its a bit of a distance out of Riyadh itself.