British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Moving Car from KSA to Qatar (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-car-ksa-qatar-712862/)

Ellie and Jason Apr 11th 2011 5:03 am

Moving Car from KSA to Qatar

Was wondering of anyone has done this?

Long story short, we are now buying our car that we had on car lease, financially far better!!! We are leaving KSA at the beginning of July and arriving in Qatar mid August, we have arranged the shipping of all our things, and now just want to know the ins and outs of the car.

From what I have read because it is a GCC country that we won't have to pay tax, and that exporting from Saudi is pretty simple - an NOC certificate and a export plates, what happens when we get it to Qatar? And what about the fact we shall take the car over there before we are resident? (as in the car will go over in June and we will move in August?)

The car is less than 1 year old, a GMC Acadia.

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Thanks in advance!

Ellie
x

nottmbantam Apr 11th 2011 9:03 am

Re: Moving Car from KSA to Qatar

Not had similar experience, but was about to do something similar - but that's another story.

ASAIK, once you get to Qatar, I was told that you have to take the car for an inspection ( known as the MVPI in KSA ) , but don't know if this will apply to such a new car as yours. The car I was planning on taking was ten years old, wanted to check if that was permissible. After the testing, you have to get the registered with the authorities, then sort out some insurance.

The bit that confuses me is when does all this take place? As you point out, you won't have a residency permit for at least two weeks, and I'm not sure if you can register the car / insure it / test it until you have the RP.

I did get the Ministry of Interior website / phone details for Doha, but I'm sure you know what it's like when you try to ring anyone for information out here - absolute minefield.

http://www.moi.gov.qa/site/english/

Good luck.

Ellie and Jason Apr 11th 2011 10:29 am

thank you for your reply - yes that is exactly what i am confused with too!!! :D

I have sent an email to the traffic department at the MOI, we shall see if I get a response!!! LOL!

If the registration can wait until we arrive in Qatar in August then that would be fine, but I am not sure if the car can be in the country that long without being registered - although once parked at the school we will be working at it will no longer be on the road until we arrive - so maybe that could be our loophole!??!

As far as i know, the car won't have to be inspected because of it's age and we won't pay tax because it is from one GCC country to another - so that's good! It's just a case of getting the damn thing over there!!!

OMG we have had such hassle with this car!!!! We had it on a car lease with the bank and we assured we could return it if we left the country with no penalty - now they say if we want to return it to the bank we have to pay 50,000 SAR!!!!!!! The car to own outright is 120,000 SAR - so after a huge fight on our hands and a lot of stress my DH parents have offered to lend us the money to just own the car, that way not having to pay the 50,000 for nothing! Although now we have overcome that we have to sort out if by owning the car how to move it!

LOL - exhausting maybe we should stay in KSA!!!! LOL, ok maybe not Qatar seems to have a lot more on offer! :thumbsup:
xxx

nottmbantam Apr 11th 2011 10:55 am

:D I sent an email to the MOI in Qatar about two months ago - did I get a reply? Errr - No. GOod luck with your quest.

It did cross my mind how you were going to get the car out of the country as you were buying on a lease option, but now you've explained, it kinds makes sense.

It seems pretty easy getting it out of the country ( NOC Letter and export plates from KSA Traffic POlice ) but just getting it registered in Qatar might just have to wait til you / DH gets the RP.

Yes, DOha does seem to offer a whole lot more more than KSA, so I'm sure after living here, Qatar will seem like a 'brave new world'. Best of luck, hope all works out for you both.

co durham boy Apr 11th 2011 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Ellie and Jason (Post 9297403)
Was wondering of anyone has done this?

Long story short, we are now buying our car that we had on car lease, financially far better!!! We are leaving KSA at the beginning of July and arriving in Qatar mid August, we have arranged the shipping of all our things, and now just want to know the ins and outs of the car.

From what I have read because it is a GCC country that we won't have to pay tax, and that exporting from Saudi is pretty simple - an NOC certificate and a export plates, what happens when we get it to Qatar? And what about the fact we shall take the car over there before we are resident? (as in the car will go over in June and we will move in August?)

The car is less than 1 year old, a GMC Acadia.

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Thanks in advance!

Ellie
x

Give me a day or 2 and i'll get my P.R.O to get the relevant info for you

Ellie and Jason Apr 11th 2011 11:54 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9297829)
Give me a day or 2 and i'll get my P.R.O to get the relevant info for you

That would be great hun, thank you!
xxx

danglydavis Apr 11th 2011 1:09 pm

A note of caution. I left Riyadh last year to move to DXB. I was going to take my car, but my final exit visa was blocked due to the car still being registered to me. Rather than arranging export plates (which I hadn't allowed time for), I just sold the thing. DD.

co durham boy Apr 11th 2011 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Ellie and Jason (Post 9297903)
That would be great hun, thank you!
xxx

sent you a P.M

Ellie and Jason Apr 11th 2011 2:30 pm

danglydavis - that's why we want to get it sorted ASAP, so there won't be any probs with our final exit!

Co Durham Boy - thanks a lot hun - I have read and replied - with more questions I'm afraid!

Thanks again!
:-)

Ellie
xxx

Geo79 May 23rd 2011 8:04 am

How do you go about getting export plates?

Alternatively, you could drive out of the country with the car regitered in your name on a multi exit visa never to return! :sneaky: I bet that's never been done before :lol:

nottmbantam May 23rd 2011 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Geo79 (Post 9381879)
How do you go about getting export plates?

Alternatively, you could drive out of the country with the car regitered in your name on a multi exit visa never to return! :sneaky: I bet that's never been done before :lol:

I think you just pitch up at the Traffic Police and ask for them. Might be a good idea to take a broker with you to help smooth things, probably several forms to fill in.

But if you're leaving the country, you would leave on a 'Final Exit' visa? Unless of course you're suggesting you'd be doing a runner?

John7 May 23rd 2011 9:08 am

You can approach the police department to get exports plates

If you are going to register your car in Qatar, you may drive it with the existing plates, but when you get the Qatari plates, make sure that you return the Saudi plates to KSA to be cancelled, a friend of yours might do it for you