British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Moving to Cairo - Questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-cairo-questions-622610/)

Mohameda Jul 28th 2009 5:19 pm

Moving to Cairo - Questions

Hi
I am considering an offer as an IT Program Manager in a big international company in Cairo, and have few questions.

1 - Would USD 100K + housing + schools + car allowance be a good package for this professional level.

2- Social and sports life for kids. I hear all major sporting clubs (ex. Rehab city) need a big lump sum for admission, like a USD 20K+. Is that true? Are there other options to get involved in social life or sports? And is it normal to ask for this a part of the package?

3- I will be on the Kournish El Nile office. If I live in one of the new communities like Rehab or Qatameyya, how would my commute be? and how is parking around this area of city center?

4- Should I ask for a driver as part of the package to? I am concerned how my family will get around for sports and social activities?

Thanks and appreciate your help.

LostInBahrain Aug 2nd 2009 10:36 am

Re: Moving to Cairo - Questions

Originally Posted by Mohameda (Post 7791955)
Hi
I am considering an offer as an IT Program Manager in a big international company in Cairo, and have few questions.

1 - Would USD 100K + housing + schools + car allowance be a good package for this professional level.

2- Social and sports life for kids. I hear all major sporting clubs (ex. Rehab city) need a big lump sum for admission, like a USD 20K+. Is that true? Are there other options to get involved in social life or sports? And is it normal to ask for this a part of the package?

3- I will be on the Kournish El Nile office. If I live in one of the new communities like Rehab or Qatameyya, how would my commute be? and how is parking around this area of city center?

4- Should I ask for a driver as part of the package to? I am concerned how my family will get around for sports and social activities?

Thanks and appreciate your help.

100K tax free is an excellent salary in Cairo, the cost of living there is non existent, to put in perspective a pack of cigarettes, a lighter, a bottle of water and a 5 minute taxi ride will set you back at most $2.50.

Point 2, well there are lots of clubs around Madi and Zamalek, schools organise alot of things as well so make sure to approach them. With regards the joining fees, that sounds very very wrong, most would be a couple grand and that is the exception to the rule.

Point 3 - If you have kids live in Madi, end of story, it is where all the expats live and it is the diplomatic area as well. Commute will be quite long but you are not going to drive as you will have a driver, never once did I drive in Cairo, it was way too much hassle.

Enjoy your stay, you will initially hate Cairo then grow to love the stinky chaotic city.

The Dean Aug 2nd 2009 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by LostInBahrain (Post 7805626)
100K tax free is an excellent salary in Cairo, the cost of living there is non existent, to put in perspective a pack of cigarettes, a lighter, a bottle of water and a 5 minute taxi ride will set you back at most $2.50.

Point 2, well there are lots of clubs around Madi and Zamalek, schools organise alot of things as well so make sure to approach them. With regards the joining fees, that sounds very very wrong, most would be a couple grand and that is the exception to the rule.

Point 3 - If you have kids live in Madi, end of story, it is where all the expats live and it is the diplomatic area as well. Commute will be quite long but you are not going to drive as you will have a driver, never once did I drive in Cairo, it was way too much hassle.

Enjoy your stay, you will initially hate Cairo then grow to love the stinky chaotic city.

This is good advice, Mohameda, as nobody regards Cairo as a "Middle East" location, so you're lucky to find someone here who has lived there.

Good luck!

Millhouse Aug 2nd 2009 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by LostInBahrain (Post 7805626)

Too right. I have had the pleasure of working there a lot last year. It's initially an awful place but it does grow on you. For me, the only problem is the pollution in the city, but I would imagine that you'll be living in a nice part on that salary.

And yes, my strong advice would be to employ a driver and buy an old car (new ones are highly taxed anyway) - no one in their right mind would choose to drive there.

Oh, and the fruit tastes amazing.

Mohameda Aug 2nd 2009 4:52 pm

Thanks everyone. So Maadi is the place to be then. I was thinking the new communities like Rehab or Madainty because of the green spaces and ease of parking.

advfam Aug 13th 2009 7:56 pm

We lived in Cairo for a little over a year. We lived in Maadi, and if you have children, that's where you'll want to be as there are alot of expat families there. If we ever go back, it will be Maadi again or Zamalek or Katamaya. Heliopolis isn't so be either, now that we have Egyptian friends from living there before. But the package you mention sounds like a good one. Especially with a resident visa, travel within the country will be cheap so take advantage of that. And get on the waiting list to join the Maadi House (or another such club depending upon your citizenship/nationality).

Have fun! We loved living in Egypt... except for the pollution, it's a great place to be.

Kija Aug 15th 2009 8:54 am

Yes

Major sporting clubs do request a big lump sum, perhaps you could ask when you get here if they offer limited memberships? There aren't any other options as far I know to get involved in sports, don't know if it's normal to ask for club membership as part of the package. If you're highly qualified and your skills are rare you could ask for the moon ;)

Rehab is a nice compound but would be a long drive to the Kornish. There's a lovely compound in Qatameya called Qatameya Heights, still a long drive but very exclusive compound. I don't think Madiynati is complete so there will be a lot of construction, not nice.If you don't mind city life (with all its pollution and traffic) Maadi is a nice area to live in, lots of expats and not too far from the Kornish. Bear in mind the Kornish is a huge so it would depend where on the Kornish your office is. If you have kids your best option is the British International School in Cairo, it's situated in Beverly Hills compound near 6th October City. There are also villas and flats there. It's a pleasant compound about 40 minutes out of Cairo. If you want an American education for your children then Cairo American College is good, it's situated in Maadi.

YES!! Traffic here is horrendous! Parking is a nightmare! A driver is a must.