Moving to Bahrain

Old Jul 10th 2010, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

MrsMcB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Bahrain

My husband has taken a job in Bahrain and is moving us, plus our two children 3 years and 13 months) there. We have moved around a lot, but not to the Middle East. I have many budgeting questions but will try to restrict it to just a few.

What are monthly leasing costs like for a SUV eg. Range Rover, BMW, Audi

Is it expensive to have a private pool, as far as water cost and maintenance is concerned, or is this taken car of in the rent?

When renting in a compound are there extra costs, e.g. management fees?

How much can one haggle on the listed price of a property, 10%??

Any other info on life in Bahrain would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Old Jul 14th 2010, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

markinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to Bahrain

HI, have just come back from Bahrain on saturday too see my boys, i believe the best advice is too hold out as long as you can too rent a car, as someone always knows someone who rents cars, i rented an apartment initailly, but as soon as some colleagues came around, they told me that they could find something that was so much more value for money, and that i should have haggled for at least 10-15% off, they so prefer the english to rent from them as they trust us, and as it is such a small island everyone knows someone that will get you a better deal...........cant tell you how many times i have been told"my sisters best friends cousin can sort that out for you, and get you a better deal". Due too all the above i live like a king now compared to when i first arrived, you will love it out their,although i do miss the rain sometimes back in england......their rainy season only lasts for 3 hours!! It does remind me off Spain 15 years ago sometimes, with regards too how slow they are, no one is ever on time for a meeting, and if it can wait till tomorrow then so be it, the Indian population accounts for 1 in 4 people, and they are the best people to get too know as they love Bahrain but can laugh at the country as well, and they know everyone, i live in London and hardly ever speak to indians here but out their most are great friends of mine,good luck you will definately enjoy the experience as Bahrain is where all the arabs go to at the weekend to enjoy themselves.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Bahrain

Range Rover sport on lease will cost you around 900 BD a month
Better off buying a Chevvy Tahoe at around 12,000 BD with all the waranty etc and having it paid off in 14 months if you must have big SUV
All the car dealers are dropping prices and you can expect more discount at Eid in Sept so good time to buy

Private swimming pool maintenance is generally not, in my experience, included. Gardening, daily bug clearout and monthly chemical treatment was working out at 100 bd a month

Everything is up for haggling. The Bahrainis do prefer the English as previous poster said as we dont wreck the places as a rule however I do think they also will accept the Scottish and Irish as preferable on a sliding scale of course

There are stacks of villas available at the moment so dont rush into the first one you see. Learn the island, its make up, where the tyre burnings take place etc and then narrow your field down,

Its a great place to live