Moving to Bahrain

Old Apr 17th 2009, 10:49 am
Just Joined

isyburns is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Bahrain

Hi,
This is my first message, so new to all this!
Really wanted some advice or opinions on moving to bahrain.
My husband has been offered a fantastic job with his current firm.
All the monetry things are fab,(school fees paid, flights home, large living allowance etc) so that isn't my concern.
I have two girls, a 6 year old and a 16month old.
My 6 year old is currently in private school in the uk with V high accedemic standards.
If we are to move to bahrain we would go for 3 years and come back just as she would be entering into the senior school around age 10-11.
Does anyone know of any schools in bahrain that are run to british standards?

Also are there any stay at home mums over there who have made the adjustment and are settling in well?

I lived in Abu-dhabi and Oman as a 19-21 year old and worked for hotels, so am not totally neive, but this envolves the family!!
Any info would be really appreciated!

Sorry one last thing!! My mum lived there in the 70s and said that all the expat wives go home in the summer because of the heat, is this still the case??
Old Apr 18th 2009, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Bahrain

Originally Posted by isyburns
Hi,
This is my first message, so new to all this!
Really wanted some advice or opinions on moving to bahrain.
My husband has been offered a fantastic job with his current firm.
All the monetry things are fab,(school fees paid, flights home, large living allowance etc) so that isn't my concern.
I have two girls, a 6 year old and a 16month old.
My 6 year old is currently in private school in the uk with V high accedemic standards.
If we are to move to bahrain we would go for 3 years and come back just as she would be entering into the senior school around age 10-11.
Does anyone know of any schools in bahrain that are run to british standards?

Also are there any stay at home mums over there who have made the adjustment and are settling in well?

I lived in Abu-dhabi and Oman as a 19-21 year old and worked for hotels, so am not totally neive, but this envolves the family!!
Any info would be really appreciated!

Sorry one last thing!! My mum lived there in the 70s and said that all the expat wives go home in the summer because of the heat, is this still the case??
Hi Isyburns,

Welcome to Paradise Island............... assuming you go ahead, which you should.

Do a search for St Christopher's School - I don't have children there myself but I know many who do - all the parents rave about it. (In fact from what I hear I'd liken it to a good UK prep school, which you are obviously familar with).

St Christopher's officially has a (long) waiting list, but many parents have been affected by the current economic environment and are moving back home, thus freeing up places. Also - your 6-y-o sounds academically very able (must be in Sussex?), and that has a remarkable effect on getting to the top of the list, if you follow me.

There are some underlying social issues here (Sunni-Shia relations, mainly) but it's never enough to disturb your daily routine or peace of mind. I've been in the region, on and off, for most of the last 20 years, and Bahrain is by far the best GCC location to live in.

Go for it.............
Old Apr 18th 2009, 9:54 am
Just Joined

isyburns is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moving to Bahrain

hi there
thank you so much for responding its good to hear some positive things and has given me comfort
thanks again