Moving to Bahrain

Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Andy665 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Bahrain

After my job offer fell through in Saudi I thought the chance to move to the Middle East had gone forever but out of the blue I have an opportunity (to be confirmed) to move out to Bahrain.

I'm married with a 21 month old little boy, job would be in the motor industry with salary and accommodation allowance.

Working on the basis that my wife was happy to move to Saudi I think that Bahrain would be slightly less difficult to adapt to but I'm struggling to find a beginners guide to Bahrain that I can look at, specifically interested in:

If anyone can point me in the right direction of articles that cover the above I'd be very grateful
    Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:12 am
    Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
    Default Re: Moving to Bahrain

Originally Posted by Andy665 View Post
    After my job offer fell through in Saudi I thought the chance to move to the Middle East had gone forever but out of the blue I have an opportunity (to be confirmed) to move out to Bahrain.

I'm married with a 21 month old little boy, job would be in the motor industry with salary and accommodation allowance.

Working on the basis that my wife was happy to move to Saudi I think that Bahrain would be slightly less difficult to adapt to but I'm struggling to find a beginners guide to Bahrain that I can look at, specifically interested in:

If anyone can point me in the right direction of articles that cover the above I'd be very grateful
      Hi Andy (or can I just call you Andy665?),

Cost of living a lot higher than Saudi, but lower than Dubai etc. (Mind you, you probably have no experience of living there either, so I'll shut up......).

The salary's OK. You'll be more than comfortable on that. Housing? GBP 12k is not generous but a 2 or 3 bedroomed apartment in Juffair (big expat community) can be had for that, or a shade over. You might want to push them a little bit on housing - GBP 15k will cover anything you're likely to want.

Plenty of flats available, villas not so easy but your allowance won't get you much of a villa anyway.

Is there anything else included in the package? Flights home every year? School fees for your little angel? Packages vary but these are quite common.

Good luck - and Bahrain is simply the finest place to live in the entire GCC, so go for it.
      Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:21 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
      Hi Andy (or can I just call you Andy665?),

Cost of living a lot higher than Saudi, but lower than Dubai etc. (Mind you, you probably have no experience of living there either, so I'll shut up......).

The salary's OK. You'll be more than comfortable on that. Housing? GBP 12k is not generous but a 2 or 3 bedroomed apartment in Juffair (big expat community) can be had for that, or a shade over. You might want to push them a little bit on housing - GBP 15k will cover anything you're likely to want.

Plenty of flats available, villas not so easy but your allowance won't get you much of a villa anyway.

Is there anything else included in the package? Flights home every year? School fees for your little angel? Packages vary but these are quite common.

Good luck - and Bahrain is simply the finest place to live in the entire GCC, so go for it.
      and you'll also find plenty of expats (and saudi's!) from saudi flooding in on the w/ends to enjoy the bacon zone! (it's fantastic when you overhear an expat in a bar in bahrain complain about all the 'damn expats' coming over on the weekends. )
      Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:26 am
      Just Joined

Thanks for the replies

The company I could be working for also has a residential property division so I thought about trying to negotiate (suitable) accommodation as part of the package as opposed to an allowance.

My thought was to offer to take the job on a 2-3 month trial basis, if I settle down and they like me then my wife and little boy would then move over - would avoid any unnecessary upheaval on their part
      Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:29 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the replies

The company I could be working for also has a residential property division so I thought about trying to negotiate (suitable) accommodation as part of the package as opposed to an allowance.

My thought was to offer to take the job on a 2-3 month trial basis, if I settle down and they like me then my wife and little boy would then move over - would avoid any unnecessary upheaval on their part
      wise plan for anywhere in the ME, you may not need to expressly stipulate such a period of time as the contract will (probably) have a probationary clause for the first 3 or so months. just make sure that's there and you should be well covered.
      Old Apr 15th 2009, 4:51 pm
      Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies

2-3 months alone without your wife?? In Bahrain - the 8th seediest place in the world?? (recent survey)

Great - I'll send you some "contact details"............
      Old Apr 15th 2009, 6:39 pm
      Just Joined

Had no idea that Bahrain was seedy

I did manage 9 months in Prague on my own a few years ago - that was difficult at times, my colleague succumbed and married when he was over there
      Old Apr 16th 2009, 6:42 pm
      If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Had no idea that Bahrain was seedy

I did manage 9 months in Prague on my own a few years ago - that was difficult at times, my colleague succumbed and married when he was over there
      Congrats on the job! Hope it works out for you.
      Old Apr 17th 2009, 10:33 am
      Just Joined

Not got the job yet but wanted to get some background info so that I'm in a reasonable position when it comes to negotiating a package - I don't want to sell myself short but at the same time I don't want to be unrealistic in my expectations.

Tbh all I'm looking for is a package that will allow me and my family to have a reasonable standard of living in a reasonable property. Having a little boy with stupid amounts of energy is making my wife nervous about living in an appartment but it seems like anywhere with a garden is likely to be very expensive.
      Old Apr 17th 2009, 10:35 am
      If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Not got the job yet but wanted to get some background info so that I'm in a reasonable position when it comes to negotiating a package - I don't want to sell myself short but at the same time I don't want to be unrealistic in my expectations.

Tbh all I'm looking for is a package that will allow me and my family to have a reasonable standard of living in a reasonable property. Having a little boy with stupid amounts of energy is making my wife nervous about living in an appartment but it seems like anywhere with a garden is likely to be very expensive.
      I know a few of the Importers in Bahrain. PM me if you want any info.