Moving to Bahrain

Old Oct 28th 2008, 7:25 am
Just Joined

Londongirl37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Bahrain

Hi there,

I'm moving to Bahrain at the end of Nov from London and want to bring my apple mac computer and various other electrical items...I know the plug sockets are the same but I wondered what the voltage is vs the UK?
Has anyone else brought computers etc with them and have they worked ok?!

Cheers
Old Oct 28th 2008, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Bahrain

Originally Posted by Londongirl37
Hi there,

I'm moving to Bahrain at the end of Nov from London and want to bring my apple mac computer and various other electrical items...I know the plug sockets are the same but I wondered what the voltage is vs the UK?
Has anyone else brought computers etc with them and have they worked ok?!

Cheers
Voltage is UK-compatible throughout the region, mostly - it's usually plug sockets in the walls that very enormously (no common standard across the GCC).

And a word to the wise - if you're moving there alone, avoid the Formula One bar, and all the bars in the hotels along the naffer end of Government Avenue, near the Bab-Al-Bahrain.............
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:20 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Dean
Voltage is UK-compatible throughout the region, mostly - it's usually plug sockets in the walls that very enormously (no common standard across the GCC).

And a word to the wise - if you're moving there alone, avoid the Formula One bar, and all the bars in the hotels along the naffer end of Government Avenue, near the Bab-Al-Bahrain.............
(sorry, gotta ask and show my ignorance...)

why?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:27 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by still.unsure

why?
best not to ask, he just rambles
Old Oct 28th 2008, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

camel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by still.unsure

why?

Ladies of dubious persuasion..
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:48 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Unless, of course, you are looking for ladies of dubious persuasion, then it's perfect
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:49 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
Unless, of course, you are looking for ladies of dubious persuasion, then it's perfect
Allegedly!
Old Oct 29th 2008, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

camel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Roadking
If you are looking.. check your "lady" is in fact a "lady"..
Old Nov 8th 2008, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

ZoeS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I've been offered a job in Bahrain, really want to go for it though a little bit concerned about things. I'm only 19 and I will be moving out by myself.

Most of the threads are of older couples moving out, are there many people my own age?

Cheers
Old Nov 9th 2008, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ZoeS
Hi there,

I've been offered a job in Bahrain, really want to go for it though a little bit concerned about things. I'm only 19 and I will be moving out by myself.

Most of the threads are of older couples moving out, are there many people my own age?

Cheers
Bahrain is the best location in the Middle East - more relaxed and easy-going than Dubai, less strict than Saudi or Kuwait - and still mercifully (mostly at least) traffic-jam free.

The problem you will have is one of perception. Sadly - and it's grossly unfair - single ladies of your age in this region are assumed to be working in an entirely different capacity from the one you are probably intending to pursue. (See the earlier posts in this thread if you don't know what I'm talking about).

Give us more detail about what sort of work you will be doing, and a broad hint of who you will be working for. What arrangements have you been promised, if any, about accommodation?

Do NOT under any circumstances come out alone, hoping you'll find somewhere to live after a few days or whatever - it doesn't work like that. I know a number of families in Bahrain that would look after you if it would help.

Go for it - it will be a great experience.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Its a job within the marine industry. Do you know what the attitude to women is within this industry?

The manager has said that I can live with him and his family while I get settled in, so I wouldnt be completely abandoned!!

Got to make the decision by today aghh!!
Old Nov 9th 2008, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Its a job within the marine industry. Do you know what the attitude to women is within this industry?

The manager has said that I can live with him and his family while I get settled in, so I wouldnt be completely abandoned!!

Do it.............. but be aware at all times.

Do you actually know this manager? Met him face-to-face I mean?
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

My knee-jerk reaction is "no, fer chrissakes"..But I guess it´s a case of how much support you can get from people in the area.

If for example you where tight with one of the rich and powerful families in the area you will find that everything will go smoothly.
But being all on your own means that you are truly alone in a part of the world where tribes/clans/families have the final say in everything and single young females are not expected to go it alone unless they are A) Devoid of choice B) Outcasts C) Lowlifes..

And that is despite Bahrain being rather progressive..
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:13 am
Just Joined

truly alone in a part of the world where tribes/clans/families have the final say in everything and single young females are not expected to go it alone unless they are A) Devoid of choice B) Outcasts C) Lowlifes..

Is it really that bad?
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:37 am
If I have to explain...

truly alone in a part of the world where tribes/clans/families have the final say in everything and single young females are not expected to go it alone unless they are A) Devoid of choice B) Outcasts C) Lowlifes..

Is it really that bad?
Zoe, no it's not that bad, but don't expect it to be any different to anywhere else in the world. Would you accept the position from someone, say 400 miles away from home in the UK, where they offer to put you up? As The Dean asked, do you actually know the manager.

Not trying to put you off but there are some strange people in the world and that includes Bahrain. It could be a great experience but make sure you are safe before making any decisions.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.