British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Moving to Bahrain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-bahrain-569759/)

Londongirl37 Oct 28th 2008 7:25 am

Moving to Bahrain

Hi there,

I'm moving to Bahrain at the end of Nov from London and want to bring my apple mac computer and various other electrical items...I know the plug sockets are the same but I wondered what the voltage is vs the UK?
Has anyone else brought computers etc with them and have they worked ok?!

Cheers

The Dean Oct 28th 2008 12:53 pm

Re: Moving to Bahrain

Originally Posted by Londongirl37 (Post 6916865)
Hi there,

I'm moving to Bahrain at the end of Nov from London and want to bring my apple mac computer and various other electrical items...I know the plug sockets are the same but I wondered what the voltage is vs the UK?
Has anyone else brought computers etc with them and have they worked ok?!

Cheers

Voltage is UK-compatible throughout the region, mostly - it's usually plug sockets in the walls that very enormously (no common standard across the GCC).

And a word to the wise - if you're moving there alone, avoid the Formula One bar, and all the bars in the hotels along the naffer end of Government Avenue, near the Bab-Al-Bahrain.............

still.unsure Oct 28th 2008 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 6917671)
Voltage is UK-compatible throughout the region, mostly - it's usually plug sockets in the walls that very enormously (no common standard across the GCC).

And a word to the wise - if you're moving there alone, avoid the Formula One bar, and all the bars in the hotels along the naffer end of Government Avenue, near the Bab-Al-Bahrain.............

(sorry, gotta ask and show my ignorance...)

why?

Blue Cat Oct 28th 2008 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by still.unsure (Post 6917954)

why?

best not to ask, he just rambles :p

camel jockey Oct 28th 2008 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by still.unsure (Post 6917954)

why?

Ladies of dubious persuasion..

Roadking Oct 29th 2008 6:48 am

Unless, of course, you are looking for ladies of dubious persuasion, then it's perfect:lol:

Roadking Oct 29th 2008 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 6920697)
Unless, of course, you are looking for ladies of dubious persuasion, then it's perfect:lol:

Allegedly!:o

camel jockey Oct 29th 2008 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 6920697)

If you are looking.. check your "lady" is in fact a "lady"..

ZoeS Nov 8th 2008 10:32 pm

Hi there,

I've been offered a job in Bahrain, really want to go for it though a little bit concerned about things. I'm only 19 and I will be moving out by myself.

Most of the threads are of older couples moving out, are there many people my own age?

Cheers

The Dean Nov 9th 2008 5:06 am

Originally Posted by ZoeS (Post 6954137)
Hi there,

I've been offered a job in Bahrain, really want to go for it though a little bit concerned about things. I'm only 19 and I will be moving out by myself.

Most of the threads are of older couples moving out, are there many people my own age?

Cheers

Bahrain is the best location in the Middle East - more relaxed and easy-going than Dubai, less strict than Saudi or Kuwait - and still mercifully (mostly at least) traffic-jam free.

The problem you will have is one of perception. Sadly - and it's grossly unfair - single ladies of your age in this region are assumed to be working in an entirely different capacity from the one you are probably intending to pursue. (See the earlier posts in this thread if you don't know what I'm talking about).

Give us more detail about what sort of work you will be doing, and a broad hint of who you will be working for. What arrangements have you been promised, if any, about accommodation?

Do NOT under any circumstances come out alone, hoping you'll find somewhere to live after a few days or whatever - it doesn't work like that. I know a number of families in Bahrain that would look after you if it would help.

Go for it - it will be a great experience.

ZoeS Nov 9th 2008 10:07 am

Its a job within the marine industry. Do you know what the attitude to women is within this industry?

The manager has said that I can live with him and his family while I get settled in, so I wouldnt be completely abandoned!!

Got to make the decision by today aghh!!

The Dean Nov 9th 2008 10:51 am

Originally Posted by ZoeS (Post 6955304)
Its a job within the marine industry. Do you know what the attitude to women is within this industry?

The manager has said that I can live with him and his family while I get settled in, so I wouldnt be completely abandoned!!

Do it.............. but be aware at all times.

Do you actually know this manager? Met him face-to-face I mean?

bimcnorth Nov 9th 2008 11:03 am

Originally Posted by ZoeS (Post 6955304)

My knee-jerk reaction is "no, fer chrissakes"..But I guess it´s a case of how much support you can get from people in the area.

If for example you where tight with one of the rich and powerful families in the area you will find that everything will go smoothly.
But being all on your own means that you are truly alone in a part of the world where tribes/clans/families have the final say in everything and single young females are not expected to go it alone unless they are A) Devoid of choice B) Outcasts C) Lowlifes..

And that is despite Bahrain being rather progressive..

ZoeS Nov 9th 2008 11:13 am

truly alone in a part of the world where tribes/clans/families have the final say in everything and single young females are not expected to go it alone unless they are A) Devoid of choice B) Outcasts C) Lowlifes..

Is it really that bad?

Roadking Nov 9th 2008 11:37 am

Originally Posted by ZoeS (Post 6955442)
truly alone in a part of the world where tribes/clans/families have the final say in everything and single young females are not expected to go it alone unless they are A) Devoid of choice B) Outcasts C) Lowlifes..

Is it really that bad?

Zoe, no it's not that bad, but don't expect it to be any different to anywhere else in the world. Would you accept the position from someone, say 400 miles away from home in the UK, where they offer to put you up? As The Dean asked, do you actually know the manager.

Not trying to put you off but there are some strange people in the world and that includes Bahrain. It could be a great experience but make sure you are safe before making any decisions.

Good luck!