British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Moving back to Dubai. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-back-dubai-849493/)

coffindodger Dec 27th 2014 2:55 am

Moving back to Dubai.

Hi Folks and seasons greeting to one and all.
I have just been offered a job back in Dubai,
I should hear back from them after the new year.
The recent Skype interview went well.

After being away from Dubai for nearly 15 years, and I know a lot has changed.
So I have had a quick look thoro the old posts,
but really I would like some up to date info.
So my questions are please.
1/How much for a 1or 2 bed Apartment near Knowledge village,
And the best locations.

2/ The basics on Driving Licenses, I still have my Saudi License so I can use that or my Uk one, my old UAE license expired a few years ago.

3/ The working visa I have read on here that's is only takes a couple of weeks now, where as in ye olden days it was if you were lucky about 80 days.

4/ This new Emirates ID Card again any ideas on how long this takes, it has been said on here a couple of months.

5/ Eltislat.
Which is the best package for home TV and Telephone.
Also the best Mobile network since DU is now there.

Plus any new and update info please.
Thanks in advance.

After 8 years in the Saudi Costa Del Sand Pit and coming back into the semi real world.

NorthernLad Dec 28th 2014 4:35 am

Re: Moving back to Dubai.

Welcome back (hopefully!). Comments below...in general it seems a lot easier to setup here than it did ten years ago.

It's worthwhile to get The Explorer book (not sure on title, used to be something like 'Red Tape Guide', it may now be something like 'Residents Guide'

Originally Posted by coffindodger (Post 11513635)
So my questions are please.
1/How much for a 1or 2 bed Apartment near Knowledge village,
And the best locations.

My office is right next to Knowledge Village, live on The Palm and takes maximum ten minutes to get to work. The Greens and Tecom are also convenient. Not sure on prices as not checked in a while, Dubizzle should give some indication though.

2/ The basics on Driving Licenses, I still have my Saudi License so I can use that or my Uk one, my old UAE license expired a few years ago.

As far as I know, it's still straightforward to get UAE license if you show your UK driving license. Until residency is sorted you can get a hire car using UK/International license, once you have residency you have to get the UAE license.

3/ The working visa I have read on here that's is only takes a couple of weeks now, where as in ye olden days it was if you were lucky about 80 days.

To get the UAE residency/visa generally takes four working days with out company (if you are in KV, I guess your company is free zone, which is generally easier/quicker for residency).

4/ This new Emirates ID Card again any ideas on how long this takes, it has been said on here a couple of months.

This was fairly quick for us, apply when you do residency and is done within a week.

5/ Eltislat.
Which is the best package for home TV and Telephone.
Also the best Mobile network since DU is now there.

Etisalat is the best network if travelling a lot. For the home, some places you have no choice (on The Palm it is only Du). We got the basic Du package as rarely use the landline and the TV packages are pretty shit. Get a good internet speed and use VPN/torrents.

coffindodger Dec 28th 2014 7:42 am

Thanks for the updated info. I hope to hear back from the Company within the next week to Ten days, The Skype interview went well, so its now back to the top management to make the yes or no.

coffindodger Dec 28th 2014 11:05 am

Has any one any good contacts for a removal companies and if any idea of prices to move about 5 boxes, from Khobar in Saudi by road, to Dubai.
Thanks.

coffindodger Dec 29th 2014 4:34 am

Well my package was rejected by the head office management. so me back to square one. Any know of any HSE Jobs going !!! th
Thanks.