British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Moving to Ajman or Sharjah in UAE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-ajman-sharjah-uae-926044/)

beety Jun 27th 2019 9:46 pm

Moving to Ajman or Sharjah in UAE

Hi,

I have been offered a job in Ajman (UAE) and we are trying to decide whether to go for it, (and we need to decide really fast!)
Any information anyone could give me on the following:

- nice places to live, preferably in a compound with other internationals, we have a 3 year old - is Sharjah better?
- are there many green spaces? (ie not built up); we like quieter greener places (not keen on the glitz of Dubai)
- do you need a car (I would be working on Sheikh Maktoum Bin Rashid St in Ajman near the big intersection) so I guess theres no way I would be walking walk to work.
- good nurseries
- the general character of life in these places

Any up to date, constructive information on life in this area of the UAE would be gratefully received

Thank you so much.
Best wishes

carcajou Jun 28th 2019 10:33 am

Re: Moving to Ajman or Sharjah in UAE

Ajman is not pleasant to live in.

What kind of job is it? Will your housing allowance allow you to live in a different emirate?

Dubai is very easy commuting distance.

Millhouse Jun 29th 2019 4:57 am

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12703949)
Ajman is not pleasant to live in.

What kind of job is it? Will your housing allowance allow you to live in a different emirate?

Dubai is very easy commuting distance.

He is right - Ajman is not nice. Forget green open spaces and if there are any they will be full of chicken bones from dumped kfc.

Dubai isn’t all glitz. There’s some lovely quiet housing areas but you will need to pay for it.

You will probably need two cars.

beety Jun 29th 2019 6:48 am

Thanks everyone.

DXBtoDOH Jun 30th 2019 3:55 pm

I'm surprised Millhouse didn't tell you to live in Mirdiff. That's what you want. It's just inside the border from Sharjah on the Dubai side.

And also agree Dubai isn't all glitz. I get annoyed at those who go to Dubai on a layover and complain it's sterile. By that measure so is any developed country.

Millhouse Jun 30th 2019 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12704790)
I'm surprised Millhouse didn't tell you to live in Mirdiff. That's what you want. It's just inside the border from Sharjah on the Dubai side.

And also agree Dubai isn't all glitz. I get annoyed at those who go to Dubai on a layover and complain it's sterile. By that measure so is any developed country.

I wanted to say Mirdif as I loved living there. Traffic has improved a lot too.

Standanista Jul 3rd 2019 4:13 am

Ajman's good if you prefer your backstreets unpaved with builder's rubble, tab ends and bits of rebar.

asjglx Jul 3rd 2019 8:08 am

+1 for Mirdif. It's changed so much since I lived there back in 2007 but I had a great time. I still always go back to Uptown Mirdif for old times' sake when i'm in DXB. Unfortunately the cafe I used to frequent on a Friday morning for an almost English breakfast no longer exists.

newbieLondon Aug 17th 2019 10:44 pm

My opinion is a bit different than others. We live on Ajman Corniche with wonderful views of Arabian ocean from our flat, life is dull but not bad. If you work in Ajman you can save significant on-road time which is also a plus. However, place is not so great if you have small kids, activities are limited to none. If you are outgoing kind of person, it’s not for you.
Sharjah is no good and I support Mirdif as well, though I don’t prefer daily drive from Dubai. You need a car doesn’t matter where you prefer to live. Wish you all the best.

beety Aug 20th 2019 4:25 pm

Hi ,
Thanks for your help. I've arrived now and I can see that Ajman has its plusses, particularly from a travel/commute point of view. But you're right social life is high on our list and Mirdiff would be better from that POV.
When I get over my culture shock I shall be doing more exploring!
Best

newbieLondon Aug 23rd 2019 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by beety (Post 12725329)
Hi ,
Thanks for your help. I've arrived now and I can see that Ajman has its plusses, particularly from a travel/commute point of view. But you're right social life is high on our list and Mirdiff would be better from that POV.
When I get over my culture shock I shall be doing more exploring!
Best

Welcome to UAE. It may takes some time to get over cultural shock but you will be fine soon. Summer is not the best time to arrive in UAE, we landed here in January and experience wasn’t bad. Good luck and always feel free to contact if you need any assistance. Good luck with my best wishes

jam25mack Aug 25th 2019 8:30 am

Lived in The Peoples Democratic Republic of Mirdif for several years, I'd 100% live there rather than Ajman or Sharjah.

IKnowNothing Aug 29th 2019 5:44 am

At least Ajman has the Outside Inn, cheap pork breakfasts and beer, mostly and expat crowd there.

The ABH hotel is, how can i put this... Interesting.

Oh and there are loads of cheap beer shops too.

Not sure about kids mind you, although a good friend of mine for many years has lived on the Corniche and his daughter (now 12 or so), has never had a problem.

The crawl to the schools is a pain mind you.