Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Abu dhabi this weekend! Help with shipping....

Moving to Abu dhabi this weekend! Help with shipping....

Old Jun 14th 2011, 9:20 am
Just Joined

eggy888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Abu dhabi this weekend! Help with shipping....

After a 2 month wait, I finally got my visa and contract to start work in Abu Dhabi this weekend.

Can anyone recommend a shipping company they have used? I don't need a container it just a few personal items such as training gear, books and more clothes, trainers and shoes. I only have 2 boxes to ship across from the UK to Abu Dhabi approx 30kg each?

Also anyone know of any good launderette/dry cleaners near the Corniche area? As i will be living in the hotel for the first month until i find an apartment and the company will not cover all of my laundry costs and I am not going to be using the hotels services it is far to expensive.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Mischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to Abu dhabi this weekend! Help with shipping....

The Corniche is a fairly long road with a lot of laundry shops! Whereabouts along the Corniche are you/which hotel and you may get more advice.

If you don't have much stuff to bring you could look at the Excess Baggage company for shipping. I used Crown Relocations for mine as I had quite a bit of stuff and they were fine.

Good luck with the move!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mischief Queen View Post
The Corniche is a fairly long road with a lot of laundry shops! Whereabouts along the Corniche are you/which hotel and you may get more advice.

If you don't have much stuff to bring you could look at the Excess Baggage company for shipping. I used Crown Relocations for mine as I had quite a bit of stuff and they were fine.

Good luck with the move!

Thanks the Excess baggage company was exactly what i was looking for

I'll be staying at the Hilton, i didn't realise the Corniche was so long, as i came for a interview just for 2 days including a day spent at the hospital, so was not be able to to check out AD.

Thank you for the information very helpful
Old Jun 14th 2011, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

There are two Hiltons, both on the Corniche but at opposite ends...
Old Jun 14th 2011, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by csdf View Post
I'll be staying at the one called:
Hilton, Corniche Hotel Apartments, I think that would be located near the business district.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

There's 3 hiltons along the corniche

corniche residence
baynunah
main hotel

Also there's a nice lebo cafe next to the one your staying in called Zyara.

Laundrettes - should be able to locate one in your block.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eggy888 View Post
After a 2 month wait, I finally got my visa and contract to start work in Abu Dhabi this weekend.

Can anyone recommend a shipping company they have used? I don't need a container it just a few personal items such as training gear, books and more clothes, trainers and shoes. I only have 2 boxes to ship across from the UK to Abu Dhabi approx 30kg each?

Also anyone know of any good launderette/dry cleaners near the Corniche area? As i will be living in the hotel for the first month until i find an apartment and the company will not cover all of my laundry costs and I am not going to be using the hotels services it is far to expensive.
For 60Kg of p/effects, I'd check with the airline you are flying how much excess luggage costs if you book it in advance (can often be cheaper). if your not doing it that way, and you are packing it yourself, your getting shafted if you pay any more than 400 GBP from your house to AUH airport including the customs (which you can do yourself no probs if you want to trim costs down further).
Old Jun 15th 2011, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

paca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nicepaca is just really nice

for upto 100kg its around £500.

Whatever you do make sure you pay for all the paperwork/customs and also delivery to door at this end. Do not be tempted to try and pick it up
Old Jun 16th 2011, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I sent one 30kg case with the excess bagagge company and it cost me 170 pounds compared to the 700 emirates were going to charge me- bastards! took about 10 days I think- so make sure you pack your suitcases with whole outfits in each case as i didn't and was dressed like I was on day release for 2 weeks!

Happy moving day!
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:07 am
Just Joined

thank you all for your replies, moving is such a headache.

I am really excited and nervous, last thing i want to do is pay extortionate amounts for shipping and then again for customs.

One last question, would anyone know if i could bring about 15kg worth of protein powder? Or will this be confiscated at customs?
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by eggy888 View Post
thank you all for your replies, moving is such a headache.

I am really excited and nervous, last thing i want to do is pay extortionate amounts for shipping and then again for customs.

One last question, would anyone know if i could bring about 15kg worth of protein powder? Or will this be confiscated at customs?
Use the 15Kg for something else, as Protein Powder is available here.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

spacedude is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jackthehat View Post
Use the 15Kg for something else, as Protein Powder is available here.
Just out of interest, has anyone forgot to bring something that they really wish they had? I'm trying to get a list together but am sure there'll be something really important I forget.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Spacedude- nice artwork for my walls- I found it really hard to find anything I like out here and ended up getting some stuff shipped over from the states and UK.

Also winter clothes - I packed just flipflops thinking I would never need a raincoat again but have since travelled to china and back to UK in winter seasons and had to buy all new stuff which is really annoying when you only wear it once so don't forget a small winter wardrobe.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spacedude View Post
Just out of interest, has anyone forgot to bring something that they really wish they had? I'm trying to get a list together but am sure there'll be something really important I forget.
yeah, something with long sleeves and slightly warm - think top you would wear in the UK during September, If you go tho the cinema here you will freeze!
Old Jun 20th 2011, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf View Post
technically there are three hiltons, hiltonia, hilton baynouna and hilton corniche residence.