Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Abu Dhabi region

Moving to Abu Dhabi region

Old Jul 9th 2014, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

pomomp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi region

I don't think I'd be able to commute every day anyway, so I will be looking for a home in MZ as well as a car. Now its just choosing the best car with a lot of horsepower!
Old Jul 9th 2014, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by pomomp
I don't think I'd be able to commute every day anyway, so I will be looking for a home in MZ as well as a car. Now its just choosing the best car with a lot of horsepower!
Not just horsepower. The biggest one you can afford with the best safety rating in a crash!
Old Jul 9th 2014, 4:39 am
Just Joined

_Cheery is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bluelionesse,

I just realised you explained pretty well in a last post the standards of the roads there and what to expect.

Pomomp:
If it were my choice (with AD plates):
GMC
Land Cruiser
Nissan Patrol

Most advisable:
Tinted windows
Add to that, super defensive driving

Last edited by _Cheery; Jul 9th 2014 at 4:41 am.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by _Cheery
Hi Bluelionesse,

I just realised you explained pretty well in a last post the standards of the roads there and what to expect.

Pomomp:
If it were my choice (with AD plates):
GMC
Land Cruiser
Nissan Patrol

Most advisable:
Tinted windows
Add to that, super defensive driving
I prefer Japanese for reliability. There are not a lot of car dealers out there in MZ (but I know there is a Nissan dealer and parts are available there).

Super defensive driving - most definitely!
Old Jul 9th 2014, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

I was looking at cars like dodge chargers or camaros. The more i hear, the more i worry as i have a 2 year old son... looks like i might need to reconsider
Old Jul 9th 2014, 7:23 am
Just Joined

_Cheery is an unknown quantity at this point

By definition, the charger dodges. Camaro seems popular. Most important thing is drive well and do keep people here informed of your choice, and which avenues you are buying from.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 9:13 am
Just Joined

oliver29 is an unknown quantity at this point

That is huge money to rent an apartment.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 9:18 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oliver29
That is huge money to rent an apartment.
Welcome to the UAE.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pomomp
I was looking at cars like dodge chargers or camaros. The more i hear, the more i worry as i have a 2 year old son... looks like i might need to reconsider
Statistically, the vehicle most likely to collide with you on this section of road is a toyota landcruiser which weighs in a 2.5-2.7 tonnes. You are most likely to be rear ended and pushed into a crash barrier or a truck, which is why I wouldn't travel this road with my family in a sedan or a lightweight vehicle.

That being said, thousands of people drive this route every week, I've heard of people having shunts but I only know of one person who had a very serious accident which left them in a wheelchair (for life).
Old Jul 9th 2014, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

strinder84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi - Where to live?

Hi, thanks for the info! I checked out Reem Island, some nice looking places there.
Old May 14th 2015, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Not been on in ages, this is just an update.

Moved over here in August of course. Still living in MZ, found a nice 2 bedroom for 65k aed.

Also managed to buy a nice '14 camaro (my dream car!) and so far things are good! The drive to AD is laborious but having a fast car makes it quite fun.

I plan on sticking it out here for another year then moving to Dubai or Al Ain - I'm steering more towards Dubai though.

FYI for anyone else considering moving to this region - 22k AED per month is more than enough to live off for a small family.

Thanks