Reload this Page >

Moving to Abu Dhabi - Driver License question

Moving to Abu Dhabi - Driver License question

Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

d0ughboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Abu Dhabi - Driver License question

Hi All,

I've been following the different questions, discussion topics, etc.

I will be hopefully moving to Abu Dhabi in the coming weeks with my family.

I have loads of questions on various topics, so will try and read what I can from the archives, so please bear with me if something has already been covered.

Most importantly, I am asking for advice on things I should be doing in the UK before setting off, and first up is Drivers license.

Do I need to apply for the International Drivers License or do I just exchange my UK one for the UAE license? Can I only do this on proof of residency?

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi - Driver License question

Originally Posted by d0ughboy
Hi All,

I've been following the different questions, discussion topics, etc.

I will be hopefully moving to Abu Dhabi in the coming weeks with my family.

I have loads of questions on various topics, so will try and read what I can from the archives, so please bear with me if something has already been covered.

Most importantly, I am asking for advice on things I should be doing in the UK before setting off, and first up is Drivers license.

Do I need to apply for the International Drivers License Yes or do I just exchange my UK one for the UAE license?Yes Can I only do this on proof of residency? Yes

Thanks in advance
You can use your international license to hire a car and then when you have residency you need to have a UAE license which is just a direct exchange.
This is what you need to exchange your license
Passport size photograph
Passport and one photocopy
Residence permit copy
Original driver's licence and one photocopy
Eye test certificate (see separate section below)
No Objection Letter from the person's employer or sponsor
Official translation (if applicable)
Confirmation letter from consulate (for Canadians)
Fee
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a UK drivers licence you can drive a hire car on that before you get your residence permit. I have used Hertz in the past and driven on a UK licence before I got my residence permit. Check out the link for further details.

http://www.hertz.co.uk/rentacar/byr/...tionsView.jsp#
Old Feb 19th 2013, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soukie
If you have a UK drivers licence you can drive a hire car on that before you get your residence permit. I have used Hertz in the past and driven on a UK licence before I got my residence permit. Check out the link for further details.

http://www.hertz.co.uk/rentacar/byr/...tionsView.jsp#
Well they keep changing the rules so it won't hurt to have an international license as well.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the responses.

So let me get this clear;

Direct exchange, what does that mean? I give them my UK licence and they give me UAE licence?

Sorry to be naive, what happens when I come back to UK for holidays and want to drive?

How do I get an International Licence? I walked into a Post Office yesterday and they said they don't do the forms anymore ??
Old Feb 19th 2013, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Direct exchange, what does that mean? I give them my UK licence and they give me UAE licence?

Sorry to be naive, what happens when I come back to UK for holidays and want to drive?

How do I get an International Licence? I walked into a Post Office yesterday and they said they don't do the forms anymore ??
This may help you.http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/index.html
Old Feb 19th 2013, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks - Was just looking at the same site; they have another link on that page that lists 'IDP requirements by country' and UAE is listed.

I think I get it, I will be exchanging the IDP licence for the UAE once I have the residency.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - Was just looking at the same site; they have another link on that page that lists 'IDP requirements by country' and UAE is listed.

I think I get it, I will be exchanging the IDP licence for the UAE once I have the residency.
IDP lets you drive before you get residency. Once you have residency, they will issue a UAE licence against your UK licence, so long as it hasn't any nasties on it ( i.e. DR10 ) You do not surrender your U.K licence for a UAE licence. Use the search facility on here to see what happens to your U.K. licence - it's a bit of a grey area !
Old Feb 20th 2013, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
IDP lets you drive before you get residency. Once you have residency, they will issue a UAE licence against your UK licence, so long as it hasn't any nasties on it ( i.e. DR10 ) You do not surrender your U.K licence for a UAE licence. Use the search facility on here to see what happens to your U.K. licence - it's a bit of a grey area !
They exchange it even if you do have nasties on it...
Old Feb 20th 2013, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

They don't actually "exchange" it - you get to keep your UK licence too.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

If you're resident in the UAE then you're not meant to use your UK licence in the UK - it technically becomes invalid when you are no longer resident in the UK - although unless you tell DVLA they won't know.

Only issue might be when it comes to insurance claim or an accident. Best just to use your UAE one (no probs with rental companies in the UK on a UAE licence).