British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Moving to Abu Dhabi Al dhafrah Airbase (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-abu-dhabi-al-dhafrah-airbase-769852/)

shawgialbess Aug 29th 2012 9:00 am

Moving to Abu Dhabi Al dhafrah Airbase

Hello Every One,

I got this job offered in Al Dhafrah Air Base , there are so many questions I cant find and answer for:

1- accommodation: where is the best place to live :Khalifah City A (KCA), (KCB) or MBZ since they are the closest to the base?And how much 2 BR apartment ?

2- Any Gym or fitness around the area?and how much is the membership?

3- what is the work environment looks like over there in the BASE? for senior supervisor position OPS!!!! Work Hours?schedules (rotating or standard) ,etc...

5- I also got a settling In allowance, anyone knows what does it cover?is it LUMP SUM?or cash in advance or given per receipt only?

6-Any decent schools?and how much?

7--------other tips

Oyibopeppeh Aug 29th 2012 9:17 am

Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi Al dhafrah Airbase

1- accommodation: where is the best place to live :Khalifah City A (KCA), (KCB) or MBZ since they are the closest to the base?And how much 2 BR apartment ?

MBZ or KCB (10-15mins) are closest but lack the amenities of KCA (20-25mins). Check Dubizzle.com for prices.

There's a Gold's gym at Mazyad Mall in MBZ. No idea of prices.

British International School Abu Dhabi (located behind Abu Dhabi University at Mahwi, the other side of the E22 motorway to MBZ) or Al-Yasmina (in KCA). Both are similar sized, British curriculum and charge around 45,000 Dibs for a child in Foundation Stage.

busybee2 Aug 29th 2012 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by shawgialbess (Post 10252232)
Hello Every One,

I got this job offered in Al Dhafrah Air Base , there are so many questions I cant find and answer for:

3- what is the work environment looks like over there in the BASE? for senior supervisor position OPS!!!! Work Hours?schedules (rotating or standard) ,etc...

5- I also got a settling In allowance, anyone knows what does it cover?is it LUMP SUM?or cash in advance or given per receipt only?

7--------other tips

mbz or kcb is closer than kca. schools for what curriculum? british closest to there is BISAD (cheapest), Al Yasmina (little more expensive), Brighton College (very expensive test to get in). there is a new one opening in MBZ this sept Believedere British School also Cambridge High school is in MBZ?Mussafah too. Closest american curriculum is in kca GEMS.

busybee2 Aug 29th 2012 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by musandamdibba1234 (Post 10252492)
There is any gym or Golf club near *Musandam Dibba*? Anyone also guide me about the weather?

musandam is in oman, and dibba is on the border with oman and uae, but thats certainly not near Al Dhafrah or Abu Dhabi.

Millsyisland Aug 30th 2012 3:52 am

Originally Posted by musandamdibba1234 (Post 10252492)
There is any gym or Golf club near *Musandam Dibba*? Anyone also guide me about the weather?

Hot and sunny. Generally.

Debowing Sep 7th 2012 8:23 am

Al Dhafrah airbase has accommodation reserved for officers but when i visited there were some westerns staying too. These are confortable houses with gardens right on the base.

There is also Musaffah but there are mostly flats. Anywhere near Musaffah would be okay, if you opt t live in the AD city, it may be difficult for transport. Also places near and around the AD Airport are fine for Al Dhafrah.

The weather is arid and hot most of the year and it is pleasant during Dec-Jan-Feb. Sand storms can be a problem. In May-Sept there is very high humidity.