Reload this Page >

Moving to Abu Dhabi advice

Moving to Abu Dhabi advice

Old Dec 15th 2008, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

walshisland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Abu Dhabi advice

I am about to move to Abu Dhabi and I need a little advice on what to bring
1.RORO car from East Coast USA, how long does it take and how are customs fees?
2.Will I get gas cylinder to fit for my gas Weber?
3.I want to bring my new TV, does anyone use a transformer.
4.How much stuff fits in 40ft container, should I put car in it also?
5.Do magazines get through post (sports Illustrated etc,)
6. What should I bring that I will miss? (food)

Thanks
Old Dec 16th 2008, 3:03 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi advice

What's a roro car? Heard of a roro ferry,

I don't know what you like so don't know what you would miss.

Get the LxBxH of a 40ft container and do the math.

What do you do for a living? Just I haven't heard of disney moving to AD?
Old Dec 16th 2008, 3:18 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
What's a roro car? Heard of a roro ferry,

I don't know what you like so don't know what you would miss.

What do you do for a living? Just I haven't heard of disney moving to AD?
she is a household project manager...
Old Dec 16th 2008, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
she is a household project manager...
no way, that's a he..

american men buy sports illustrated for 2 reasons
1. They can't read sports results, so the pictures help explain
2. The swimsuit edition

he will be devastated when they black pen it..
Old Dec 16th 2008, 3:26 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by admon
no way, that's a he..

american men buy sports illustrated for 2 reasons
1. They can't read sports results, so the pictures help explain
2. The swimsuit edition

he will be devastated when they black pen it..
not according to her profile...must be posting on behalf of hubbie...
Old Dec 16th 2008, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
not according to her profile...must be posting on behalf of hubbie...
I never look at profile information, obviously..
Old Dec 16th 2008, 3:29 am
hmmmm...nice

I never look at profile information, obviously..
obviously...
Old Dec 16th 2008, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

MathS with an S please Commander - this is the British Expats website, not the American Expats website.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 11:22 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walshisland
I am about to move to Abu Dhabi and I need a little advice on what to bring
1.RORO car from East Coast USA, how long does it take and how are customs fees?
2.Will I get gas cylinder to fit for my gas Weber?
3.I want to bring my new TV, does anyone use a transformer.
4.How much stuff fits in 40ft container, should I put car in it also?
5.Do magazines get through post (sports Illustrated etc,)
6. What should I bring that I will miss? (food)

Thanks
No ideas about car but why bring a car here when cars are cheap and plentiful in Abu Dhabi?
Again why bring a TV? If you loose your job (and that can happen quickly here) you may find yourself packing up everything and sending it home...which when you including bringing a car etc you'll be wasting good money on things they have here that are probably cheaper anyway.
Careful with the magazines...what we consider tame (yes, sports illustrated, FHM etc) are often censored or banned...not worth the trouble if you get stopped by customs.
You definately won't need to bring food unless you are on a strict Kosher diet (then I'd advise Tel Aviv over Abu Dhabi )
Old Dec 16th 2008, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

walshisland is an unknown quantity at this point

You lads are funny. I thought that prolife was private, good job I did't say much. yeh why would I think that!!! Anyhow I don't think Disney are heading to UAE. FYI you can now have free admission on your birthday to Disney (USA anyhow don't know about Paris etc) I like college sports and Ice hockey in Sports Illustrated, but I guess I won't be getting it in Adu Dhabi on your advice. Cars are cheaper here and anyhow no one wants to buy mine from me. As everywhere else the economy is in the toilet here. Company will pay for 40ft container (and back if need be) so want to put as much as possible in it, contents of 3 bedroom house and all the junk that goes with life. Got a villa waiting and I guess I can't rent out rooms to pay for my exotic holiday's I'm going to take so might as well bring all my junk. We are in the Museum building buisness so will be bringing you lots of culture!!!!! What about my weber grill can I get gas cylinder hook up for it!!!!anybody anybody!!!
Slainte!!!!
Old Dec 16th 2008, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by walshisland
You lads are funny. I thought that prolife was private, good job I did't say much. yeh why would I think that!!! Anyhow I don't think Disney are heading to UAE. FYI you can now have free admission on your birthday to Disney (USA anyhow don't know about Paris etc) I like college sports and Ice hockey in Sports Illustrated, but I guess I won't be getting it in Adu Dhabi on your advice. Cars are cheaper here and anyhow no one wants to buy mine from me. As everywhere else the economy is in the toilet here. Company will pay for 40ft container (and back if need be) so want to put as much as possible in it, contents of 3 bedroom house and all the junk that goes with life. Got a villa waiting and I guess I can't rent out rooms to pay for my exotic holiday's I'm going to take so might as well bring all my junk. We are in the Museum building buisness so will be bringing you lots of culture!!!!! What about my weber grill can I get gas cylinder hook up for it!!!!anybody anybody!!!
Slainte!!!!
yes you can buy gas cylinders here. In fact its the only way you get gas here (there is no mains gas)
Old Dec 17th 2008, 1:03 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

yes you can buy gas cylinders here. In fact its the only way you get gas here (there is no mains gas)
we have mains gas
Old Dec 17th 2008, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
we have mains gas
I should have added 'in villas'..

forgot some people live in apartments, I always assume they are still empty..