British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Moving to Abu Dhabi - advance information? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-abu-dhabi-advance-information-477139/)

weescot Aug 27th 2007 11:13 am

Moving to Abu Dhabi - advance information?
 
currently I am packing up in the UK and moving to Abu Dhabi to take up permenant job next month. As I have not visited before, can anyone advise on:

1. Decent apartment rental agents (please, only expats with direct experience to respond). Looking for 2 bed with gym facilities close by
2. neighbourhoods to avoid
3. Details of any local scuba diving sites/dive clubs/activities
4. How to meet people socially..

Any information would be a huge help!

numbercruncher Aug 27th 2007 12:05 pm

Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi - advance information?
 

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 5239579)
currently I am packing up in the UK and moving to Abu Dhabi to take up permenant job next month. As I have not visited before, can anyone advise on:

1. Decent apartment rental agents (please, only expats with direct experience to respond). Looking for 2 bed with gym facilities close by
2. neighbourhoods to avoid
3. Details of any local scuba diving sites/dive clubs/activities
4. How to meet people socially..

Any information would be a huge help!

re 1+2) tricky, try Homestyle (http://www.homestyle-property.co.ae/) and the Khalifa Committee (www.ejarat.ae/searchProperty.do). Generally, its pretty hard to look for smth from a distance, since the market is pretty tight and available apartments are rented quickly. Area depends a bit on personal lifestyle, but the Khalidiya and Corniche areas usually gets the thumb up from a lot of folks.

3+4) check out the hiltonia club attached to the Hilton hotel and 'The Club' (www.the-club.com) for both, activities and, the latter one to meet people socially.

BTW www.abudhabiwoman.com is also a good resource to find your way around.

Hope that helps.

Riadh Aug 27th 2007 1:12 pm

Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi - advance information?
 
Hi there, I would recommend Le Miredian, they do have diving Center and there is nearby a complex of allBars and Rests very nice place to meet and socialize while having diner or a Drink - good luck

shakh your bootie Aug 27th 2007 1:38 pm

Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi - advance information?
 

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 5239579)
currently I am packing up in the UK and moving to Abu Dhabi to take up permenant job next month. As I have not visited before, can anyone advise on:

1. Decent apartment rental agents (please, only expats with direct experience to respond). Looking for 2 bed with gym facilities close by
2. neighbourhoods to avoid
3. Details of any local scuba diving sites/dive clubs/activities
4. How to meet people socially..

Any information would be a huge help!

Salsa nites - Tuesday, Zenith. Thursday, Pomodore.

Scuba is not great around Abu Dhabi - the East Coast is better, Oman is better still...

Nice 'hoods - Khaladiyah, Bateen, Corniche. Tourist Club area is the right side of OK.

Letting is a nightmare & the few nice apartments go within days or even hours. Good luck!

weescot Aug 27th 2007 9:26 pm

Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi - advance information?
 
Thanks for all the information provided. Bit worrying that the apartment rental market is so difficult. I only have 2 weeks to look! Do many expats buy their own?

beebee Aug 27th 2007 9:27 pm

Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi - advance information?
 

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 5241754)
Thanks for all the information provided. Bit worrying that the apartment rental market is so difficult. I only have 2 weeks to look! Do many expats buy their own?

Not in Abu Dhabi..

Eva Aug 28th 2007 12:19 am

Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi - advance information?
 
Option to buy in AD is very restricted to particular develpments-mostly off plan with completion dates projected to 2009/2010.Some properties available to buy from Emirati first time owners in Raha Gardens but price exhorbitent and comprable to Paris or London.No opportunities yet to buy to sell on at a quick profit or flip. Nothing like the Dubai market.Rentals can be had but usually after a lot of legwork and chat with watchman.An Agent will charge you 5-6% of annual rent on any property he introduces you to.
There are no'bad' areas in AD.On island-Off island-distinction.

shakh your bootie Aug 28th 2007 7:31 am

Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi - advance information?
 
Wow - do any expats actually live off-island??? I've never met anyone who does?

weescot Aug 28th 2007 9:21 am

Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi - advance information?
 
Thanks - these little snippets are great. I don't really want to buy - have property in the UK. I just want a decent apartment.

So, on island is where to look, chat to building doorman/watchman, act quick yet be patient and hold my nerve....

thanks again.

shakh your bootie Aug 28th 2007 9:24 am

Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi - advance information?
 
And come along to a BE Abu Dhabi night out.

One of our members (revilo) made valiant efforts to organize one this Thursday, but it seems the Abu Dhabi members are not the party-people that the Dubai chapter is....

weescot Aug 28th 2007 9:35 am

Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi - advance information?
 
thanks. I am a party girl, but usually need a day to recover from the working week... Friday night is my night if I am not away diving of course...

will check threads for next BE night out.

andrewpops Aug 29th 2007 7:07 am

Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi - advance information?
 

Originally Posted by numbercruncher (Post 5239720)
re 1+2) tricky, try Homestyle (http://www.homestyle-property.co.ae/) and the Khalifa Committee (www.ejarat.ae/searchProperty.do). Generally, its pretty hard to look for smth from a distance, since the market is pretty tight and available apartments are rented quickly. Area depends a bit on personal lifestyle, but the Khalidiya and Corniche areas usually gets the thumb up from a lot of folks.

3+4) check out the hiltonia club attached to the Hilton hotel and 'The Club' (www.the-club.com) for both, activities and, the latter one to meet people socially.

BTW www.abudhabiwoman.com is also a good resource to find your way around.

Hope that helps.

Piece of advice - the Khalifa Committee is run on a lottery due to the demand for low cost accomodation. You draw a number, if you win (a slim chance), you get offered a fixed location accomodation i.e. if you don't like it, they you have to re enter to the draw. My advice - don't bother.

As for agents, work on the assumption they are all crooks unless proved otherwise. Hayatt were good, pm me for contact numbers, and my colleague had a good experience with Asteco. Do not pay any "viewing fees", its illegal and a sign of a shoddy operator.

If you see somewhere you like - take it immediately, as apartments tend to go within hours. Typical prices now AED 70,000 per annum for one bed, 95 - 110k for two bed, 110k plus for three bed. Villas start at around 140k plus and upwards to 250k plus.

Again, PM me if you need any more advice, I did all this last year and I would have sorely liked some guidance then!

Meow Aug 31st 2007 8:25 am

Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi - advance information?
 
Do people really move 3,500 miles without having visited & checked a place out?? :blink:

weescot Aug 31st 2007 12:47 pm

Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi - advance information?
 
Yes - well travelled and already visited UAE on previous occassions (plus denied luxury of advance visit due to family member hospitalisation in UK).

shakh your bootie Aug 31st 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi - advance information?
 

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 5256521)
Yes - well travelled and already visited UAE on previous occassions (plus denied luxury of advance visit due to family member hospitalisation in UK).


Well, good on you for making a big decision on moving out here - I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Good luck - hope everything goes smoothly for you, if it doesn't there's plenty of folks here to help. :)


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:59 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.