Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Abu Dhabi - advance information?

Moving to Abu Dhabi - advance information?

Old Aug 27th 2007, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Moving to Abu Dhabi - advance information?

currently I am packing up in the UK and moving to Abu Dhabi to take up permenant job next month. As I have not visited before, can anyone advise on:

1. Decent apartment rental agents (please, only expats with direct experience to respond). Looking for 2 bed with gym facilities close by
2. neighbourhoods to avoid
3. Details of any local scuba diving sites/dive clubs/activities
4. How to meet people socially..

Any information would be a huge help!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:05 am
Just Joined

numbercruncher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi - advance information?

Originally Posted by weescot
currently I am packing up in the UK and moving to Abu Dhabi to take up permenant job next month. As I have not visited before, can anyone advise on:

1. Decent apartment rental agents (please, only expats with direct experience to respond). Looking for 2 bed with gym facilities close by

re 1+2) tricky, try Homestyle (http://www.homestyle-property.co.ae/) and the Khalifa Committee (www.ejarat.ae/searchProperty.do). Generally, its pretty hard to look for smth from a distance, since the market is pretty tight and available apartments are rented quickly. Area depends a bit on personal lifestyle, but the Khalidiya and Corniche areas usually gets the thumb up from a lot of folks.

3+4) check out the hiltonia club attached to the Hilton hotel and 'The Club' (www.the-club.com) for both, activities and, the latter one to meet people socially.

BTW www.abudhabiwoman.com is also a good resource to find your way around.

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Riadh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I would recommend Le Miredian, they do have diving Center and there is nearby a complex of allBars and Rests very nice place to meet and socialize while having diner or a Drink - good luck
Old Aug 27th 2007, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Salsa nites - Tuesday, Zenith. Thursday, Pomodore.

Scuba is not great around Abu Dhabi - the East Coast is better, Oman is better still...

Nice 'hoods - Khaladiyah, Bateen, Corniche. Tourist Club area is the right side of OK.

Letting is a nightmare & the few nice apartments go within days or even hours. Good luck!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the information provided. Bit worrying that the apartment rental market is so difficult. I only have 2 weeks to look! Do many expats buy their own?
Old Aug 27th 2007, 8:27 pm

beebee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the information provided. Bit worrying that the apartment rental market is so difficult. I only have 2 weeks to look! Do many expats buy their own?
Not in Abu Dhabi..
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:19 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Option to buy in AD is very restricted to particular develpments-mostly off plan with completion dates projected to 2009/2010.Some properties available to buy from Emirati first time owners in Raha Gardens but price exhorbitent and comprable to Paris or London.No opportunities yet to buy to sell on at a quick profit or flip. Nothing like the Dubai market.Rentals can be had but usually after a lot of legwork and chat with watchman.An Agent will charge you 5-6% of annual rent on any property he introduces you to.
There are no'bad' areas in AD.On island-Off island-distinction.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - do any expats actually live off-island??? I've never met anyone who does?
Old Aug 28th 2007, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks - these little snippets are great. I don't really want to buy - have property in the UK. I just want a decent apartment.

So, on island is where to look, chat to building doorman/watchman, act quick yet be patient and hold my nerve....

thanks again.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And come along to a BE Abu Dhabi night out.

One of our members (revilo) made valiant efforts to organize one this Thursday, but it seems the Abu Dhabi members are not the party-people that the Dubai chapter is....
Old Aug 28th 2007, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks. I am a party girl, but usually need a day to recover from the working week... Friday night is my night if I am not away diving of course...

will check threads for next BE night out.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by numbercruncher
re 1+2) tricky, try Homestyle (http://www.homestyle-property.co.ae/) and the Khalifa Committee (www.ejarat.ae/searchProperty.do). Generally, its pretty hard to look for smth from a distance, since the market is pretty tight and available apartments are rented quickly. Area depends a bit on personal lifestyle, but the Khalidiya and Corniche areas usually gets the thumb up from a lot of folks.

3+4) check out the hiltonia club attached to the Hilton hotel and 'The Club' (www.the-club.com) for both, activities and, the latter one to meet people socially.

BTW www.abudhabiwoman.com is also a good resource to find your way around.

Hope that helps.
Piece of advice - the Khalifa Committee is run on a lottery due to the demand for low cost accomodation. You draw a number, if you win (a slim chance), you get offered a fixed location accomodation i.e. if you don't like it, they you have to re enter to the draw. My advice - don't bother.

As for agents, work on the assumption they are all crooks unless proved otherwise. Hayatt were good, pm me for contact numbers, and my colleague had a good experience with Asteco. Do not pay any "viewing fees", its illegal and a sign of a shoddy operator.

If you see somewhere you like - take it immediately, as apartments tend to go within hours. Typical prices now AED 70,000 per annum for one bed, 95 - 110k for two bed, 110k plus for three bed. Villas start at around 140k plus and upwards to 250k plus.

Again, PM me if you need any more advice, I did all this last year and I would have sorely liked some guidance then!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 7:25 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Do people really move 3,500 miles without having visited & checked a place out??
Old Aug 31st 2007, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes - well travelled and already visited UAE on previous occassions (plus denied luxury of advance visit due to family member hospitalisation in UK).
Old Aug 31st 2007, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes - well travelled and already visited UAE on previous occassions (plus denied luxury of advance visit due to family member hospitalisation in UK).

Well, good on you for making a big decision on moving out here - I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Good luck - hope everything goes smoothly for you, if it doesn't there's plenty of folks here to help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.