Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Abu Dhabi

Moving to Abu Dhabi

Old May 29th 2018, 9:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by reddiva
When you say you want your Wife to work less do you mean find her a part time role? if so,part time roles are like unicorns here and most if not all people work 45 hours a week. I work longer hours here than i ever did in the UK
My working day in my contract is longer than I worked in a week in the UK.
Old May 29th 2018, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Abudhabi2018 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you work a lot of hours Scamp?
Old May 29th 2018, 9:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Abudhabi2018
Do you work a lot of hours Scamp?
Nah, not really. I just hate the fact my contracted hours are 10 a day.

It's ****ing daft.

I'm amazing during Ramadan doing a mere 8hr day, I'm so much more efficient.
Old May 29th 2018, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice on part time work. She works in marketing so it may be she can do some work from home for some research based companies.
She will then need to get a labor card from a company or if doing her own thing have a freelance visa
The set up to do that here is very very different to home
Old May 29th 2018, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

frequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to all

Thanks again for all the information.

helloworld2014 - as you live in Al Reef would you mind if I got contacted you with any other queries on the area as we get nearer to moving?

I emailed 2 estate agents today asking to be kept informed of properties coming up in the area. We’ve looked at a few properties on property finder and wondered if the rents advertised would be negotiable at all? I guess it depends on the property and level of demand?

My employer has advised they apply the one cheque option so that might come in handy when negotiating, or perhaps that’s just standard.

I live in Al Reef too, it’s absolutely pointless contacting an agent before you’re here. Those pictures online aren’t pictures of actual properties available. They’re just a way for the agent to get your details so they can work with you and get the 5% commission.

Everyone wants you sign immediately on the day that you see something so it’s only possible to negotiate once you’re actually in a position to move.

That being said, it is a renters market right now and you can negotiate hard. I’m in the process of moving right now and out of the 10 properties I viewed, only one was occupied.

I’d suggest working with more that one agent as they don’t all know about the same properties.

Mediterranean and Contemporary are considered the most desirable villages out of the 4.

Good luck!
Old May 29th 2018, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Thank you frequent flyer for the advise on Al Reef and use of agents.

When I look online all the properties appear identical so I was thinking the ploy was to post generic photos to get clients interested.
Old May 29th 2018, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Frequestflyer - would you recommend Al Reef? Any downsides of living there that you would change if you could?
Old May 29th 2018, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks reddiva - will bear that in mind once we settle and she looks for work.
Old May 29th 2018, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

frequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to all

Frequestflyer - would you recommend Al Reef? Any downsides of living there that you would change if you could?
It’s fine here, we’re moving into our third year. I hate apartments so it’s the only compound really at a reasonable price. We have a dog too which would make an apartment a bit of a pain.

The villas are fine and have a few problems usually with the water pumps and systems. Best to monitor the bill regularly as a slow leak could cost you 1000’s if you don’t notice it early.

The villas with the gardens facing north seem to have the lowest cooling bills. Try and stay away from the roads closest to the airport as they are extremely loud at certain times of day.

We have almost everything we need close by with easy access to the motorway to get to Dubai.

Petrol stations are almost not existent in this area so best to fill up when you see one even if you’re on half a tank.
Old May 29th 2018, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

You really should not rush into moving into a villa unless there is some urgent reason for doing so. You are presumably on a probation period, so you want to be sure about that before committing to a year's lease (which almost always cannot be broken, even if you lose your job). Nor can you rent a villa till you have a visa, which might take weeks or longer to sort depending upon your employer's efficiency. Finally, once you have been here a while you might find that there are all sorts of reasons you didn't consider before for choosing somewhere else to live (eg Raha rather than Al Reef, or whatever) - for instance, schooling... have you even got definite school places yet (I know you mention Bateen area - but do you have confirmed places)? If your wife will end up driving them to and from school, 2 round trips, then Al Reef to "Bateen area" is a long old drive and she might decide after a while that she wants to live a bit closer. We know a lot of people who made that mistake and ended up moving as soon as they could to get closer to school. There are a lot of new villa and apartment options, so you really can take your time - get a deal on a hotel apartment (summer is low season, so there are plenty of deals, especially if you sign up for a couple of months) and take your time.
Old May 29th 2018, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice Archie.

For the shorter term options is the likes of AirBnb a good place to start?
Old May 30th 2018, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go for a serviced apartment if I were you.
Old May 30th 2018, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

For the shorter term options is the likes of AirBnb a good place to start?
Sorry, never used it here, so don't know! Does your company provide 2 weeks free accommodation at the beginning? Many (most?) do. If they do, take that, then do some legwork to compare options. Some companies (eg my first one, a local firm) also allowed one to extend in the provided accommodation for a few more weeks at half price - worth asking.
Old May 30th 2018, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

How old are your kids and which school?

I am amazed that Al Reef and Al Raha gardens are similar travel times, though Al Raha is about 7kms long. I live at Al Zeina, Raha Beach, which we love.

I have worked part time longer contracts (3 days a week) in marketing and comms for the past 10 years (last one maternity cover for head of region for a global company) or quick short term France stuff. Trick is to network. It definitely can be done.
Old May 30th 2018, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

How old are your kids and which school?

I am amazed that Al Reef and Al Raha gardens are similar travel times, though Al Raha is about 7kms long. I live at Al Zeina, Raha Beach, which we love.

I have worked part time longer contracts (3 days a week) in marketing and comms for the past 10 years (last one maternity cover for head of region for a global company) or quick short term France stuff. Trick is to network. It definitely can be done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.