Reload this Page >

Moving To Abu Dhabi

Moving To Abu Dhabi

Old Aug 12th 2013, 8:31 am
Just Joined

headcat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving To Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
If your wife is sponsoring you then it is most probable that she will have to take out the internet subscription in her name (for post paid plans at least).

There's loads of cafes with wifi available to tide you over. Good luck with the move.
I was hoping for a pre-paid arrangement to start with, then move to post paid. But if this is not possible then wifi for the odd email in a cafe will be a life saver! Thanks!
Old Aug 12th 2013, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by headcat
She teaches music, we have been told we will be close to the school so I think Wadha may be not be in the picture?
A friend of mine teaches music at BSAK and she is near al Wahda.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Yoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond repute

Headcat, the definition of 'close' in Abu Dhabi is undoubtedly different to what somebody from the UK believes.

Also, you may well want to withhold any judgement about the suitability of the bus for your travel needs, particularly when you discover how cheap taxis are.

Is your wife already involved in the music scene or is she planning on finding something when she gets here?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Al Wahda is on 11th street; BSAK is on 19th street. There are 3 traffic lights between the two locations; it's about a 5 minute drive. I'd say that was close (or is that what you meant)?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Yoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
Al Wahda is on 11th street; BSAK is on 19th street. There are 3 traffic lights between the two locations; it's about a 5 minute drive. I'd say that was close (or is that what you meant)?
Three traffic lights only takes you five minutes? Lucky you. I never seem to have that sort of luck.

Having said that, I think we forget how quickly we can travel large-ish distances here. I'd hate to have to walk between Al Wahda and BSAK. But then, I am a lazy cow and hate anything that makes me perspire.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Yoohoo
Headcat, the definition of 'close' in Abu Dhabi is undoubtedly different to what somebody from the UK believes.

Also, you may well want to withhold any judgement about the suitability of the bus for your travel needs, particularly when you discover how cheap taxis are.

Is your wife already involved in the music scene or is she planning on finding something when she gets here?
Having lived in London for some considerable time, what looks like 'close' on a map is usually very different from it's reality.

I am happy to use all forms of transport, whatever ends up being the best for my needs, from what I have been told it is looking like we will be living somewhere near Khalifa University.

She is already established in the UK, has a lot of contact in the Gulf already with ex colleagues, but the teaching is the most important.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
A friend of mine teaches music at BSAK and she is near al Wahda.
yes as i said a lot of the apartments are across the road from wadha mall.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Having lived in London for some considerable time, what looks like 'close' on a map is usually very different from it's reality.

I am happy to use all forms of transport, whatever ends up being the best for my needs, from what I have been told it is looking like we will be living somewhere near Khalifa University.

She is already established in the UK, has a lot of contact in the Gulf already with ex colleagues, but the teaching is the most important.
if you are near khalifa uni then you can walk to bsak. you will find that yo need a car or taxi, buses are not realiable for some of them are only once an hour or so on the longer routes.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Yoohoo
Three traffic lights only takes you five minutes? Lucky you. I never seem to have that sort of luck.

Having said that, I think we forget how quickly we can travel large-ish distances here. I'd hate to have to walk between Al Wahda and BSAK. But then, I am a lazy cow and hate anything that makes me perspire.
it isnt that far, but could be more than 5 mins more like 10 mins. you cannot walk wadha to bsak!
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

She teaches music, we have been told we will be close to the school so I think Wadha may be not be in the picture?
trumpet?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

wadha is close.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

well they lost a few music teachers this year.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute

Your in a nice area! I lived behind the Uni in an area called Muroor.

Mushrif near to the uni means you are near lots of little grocery stores and a lovely little Italian takeaway called Il Forno.

Taxis will be plenty in that area, and you are near The country Club for a meal and a drink.

Are you getting a furniture allowance? If so, buy secondhand or Ikea and you might have a few Dirhams left to grab a bargain car from an expat leaving.

Good luck with the move, Enjoy Abu Dhabi.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Arcadia
Your in a nice area! I lived behind the Uni in an area called Muroor.

Mushrif near to the uni means you are near lots of little grocery stores and a lovely little Italian takeaway called Il Forno.

Taxis will be plenty in that area, and you are near The country Club for a meal and a drink.

Are you getting a furniture allowance? If so, buy secondhand or Ikea and you might have a few Dirhams left to grab a bargain car from an expat leaving.

Good luck with the move, Enjoy Abu Dhabi.
Thanks a lot for the good news! It is great to get some inside knowledge beforehand, there is only a limited amount of info you can research on the net and Mushrif is not that well reviewed.

we will be moving into a place that is fully furnished, but I guess we will beon the look out for a vehicle at some point...
Old Aug 13th 2013, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mushrif is good place and now close to the new mall there (arcadia you may not know about that one?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.