Reload this Page >

Moving To Abu Dhabi

Moving To Abu Dhabi

Old Aug 10th 2013, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

headcat is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving To Abu Dhabi

Hi Guys,

I am moving from London to Abu Dhabi at the end of August and with my wife who has accepted a teaching job in the city. We have been told out accommodation will be in Al Mushrif,

Does anyone know what this area is like to live in?

also,

I will need internet access as soon as possible when we arrive, is it possible to buy a USB dongle type device? in the UK you can buy the access upfront from shops like Orange or Vodaphone, is it a similar process in AD?

As you all know moving can be stressful and I am trying to get answers to these questions before I arrive, thus ensuring a relaxing flight with small children....if that is possible!

Any pointers much appreciated.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving To Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by headcat
Hi Guys,

I am moving from London to Abu Dhabi at the end of August and with my wife who has accepted a teaching job in the city. We have been told out accommodation will be in Al Mushrif,

also,

I will need internet access as soon as possible when we arrive, is it possible to buy a USB dongle type device? in the UK you can buy the access upfront from shops like Orange or Vodaphone, is it a similar process in AD?

As you all know moving can be stressful and I am trying to get answers to these questions before I arrive, thus ensuring a relaxing flight with small children....if that is possible!

I've seen the dongle in Emax/ Carrefour. But you may not be able to use it until you have a visa... not 100% sure on that.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

also,

hi yes, you can get a usb dongle, but it will no doubt be more expensive than uk. which sch will she be working at? presumbing they will be providing accommodation etc. mushrif is good, but fairly local area but good. the telephone systems here are not the same as uk, ie you have many shops to go and buy from here there are 2 and they are both the same company, etislat and du, du being the newer arm and usually cheaper as they are playing catch up, but because of this usually the service is not as good as etislat.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

http://etisalatuae.blogspot.ae/2010/...fer-aed99.html

but the prices will be different as this is pretty old advert.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

I live on the border of Al Mushrif and Al Karamah. It's a leafy, low-density residential area, complete with a park (Al Mushrif Park, currently being re-developed so unfortunately inaccessible), a golf course/driving range/health club (Abu Dhabi Country Club), a bunch of palaces and lots of villas. BSAK school is right in Al Mushrif (where your wife is going to work?). About 10 minutes to the Corniche, 25 minutes to the airport. Some compounds, some of which are relatively new, many of which are old if not the oldest in the island. As a result, area feels "lived in" but also has lots of established greenery and grass, rather than the concrete hell of some of the newer areas.

Here's a map of the area: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15....3793&layers=Q

Last edited by csdf; Aug 11th 2013 at 4:37 am. Reason: Map of area
Old Aug 11th 2013, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I've seen the dongle in Emax/ Carrefour. But you may not be able to use it until you have a visa... not 100% sure on that.
Thanks for the advice, I hope I don't have to wait for a visa, fingers crossed!
Old Aug 11th 2013, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by csdf
I live on the border of Al Mushrif and Al Karamah. It's a leafy, low-density residential area, complete with a park (Al Mushrif Park, currently being re-developed so unfortunately inaccessible), a golf course/driving range/health club (Abu Dhabi Country Club), a bunch of palaces and lots of villas. BSAK school is right in Al Mushrif (where your wife is going to work?). About 10 minutes to the Corniche, 25 minutes to the airport. Some compounds, some of which are relatively new, many of which are old if not the oldest in the island. As a result, area feels "lived in" but also has lots of established greenery and grass, rather than the concrete hell of some of the newer areas.

Here's a map of the area: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15....3793&layers=Q
Thanks very much for your post, very helpful. We live in a house in London on a busy main road, not too spacious, so we are really looking forward to moving. My wife will be joining BSAK so we should be living near to the school, the green areas will be really good for our little boy. We are not planning on getting a car this year, is a car really required in AD?
Old Aug 11th 2013, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks very much for your post, very helpful. We live in a house in London on a busy main road, not too spacious, so we are really looking forward to moving. My wife will be joining BSAK so we should be living near to the school, the green areas will be really good for our little boy. We are not planning on getting a car this year, is a car really required in AD?
what age and subject will you be teaching at bsak? mushrif isnt very far away, but of course if no car you must be near a main road to get a cab, otherwise you will need to order one each time. have they told you mushrif? as a lot of teachers live in apartments over by wadha mall, and in kca and al reef, not so much in mushrif area.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
what age and subject will you be teaching at bsak? .
Nosey
Old Aug 12th 2013, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say your life will be more enjoyable with a car. Friends of mine who couldn't justify buying a new car or renting one have adopted the tactic of buying a 5000 dirham used 4x4 and running it into the ground.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say your life will be more enjoyable with a car. Friends of mine who couldn't justify buying a new car or renting one have adopted the tactic of buying a 5000 dirham used 4x4 and running it into the ground.
Very good idea.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Thanks for the advice, I hope I don't have to wait for a visa, fingers crossed!
If your wife is sponsoring you then it is most probable that she will have to take out the internet subscription in her name (for post paid plans at least).

There's loads of cafes with wifi available to tide you over. Good luck with the move.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Nosey
no because it makes a difference to where and what etc.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 8:28 am
Just Joined

I guess that if we end up living close to the school we won't need one, but my wife is a musician and needs at large car just to transport her instruments from gig to gig. Although she will be teaching music, she'll be doing a fair few gigs in AD and Dubai at some point. I am happy with the bus!
Old Aug 12th 2013, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by busybee2
what age and subject will you be teaching at bsak? mushrif isnt very far away, but of course if no car you must be near a main road to get a cab, otherwise you will need to order one each time. have they told you mushrif? as a lot of teachers live in apartments over by wadha mall, and in kca and al reef, not so much in mushrif area.
She teaches music, we have been told we will be close to the school so I think Wadha may be not be in the picture?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.