British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Moving to Abu Dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/moving-abu-dhabi-749895/)

heathcliffe54 Feb 27th 2012 5:12 pm

Moving to Abu Dhabi

Hi there,

My husband has just found out he'll be based at Al Dhafra Airbase and not Al Ain as we first thought.:blink:

We had been researching accommodation and schools etc in Al Ain.

I am concerned our accommodation allowance of £140k is not going to be enough to secure a 4 bed villa. We are a family of four but really want 4 bedrooms to accommodate our many visitors that are already planning their holidays!

Could I please have any advice on which areas to live? A few have been suggested to me, Al Reef, Khalifa A and B, Mohammed Bin Zayed City. Are there any others within our price range? Which are best? I'll also be looking for a good English school and would welcome any advice on one in the area? I have 2 boys. The eldest is 4 so I am expecting him to go into kindergarden after we arrive (around May I think). Youngest is only 1 so not an issue for him yet.

I know you guys get a lot of requests like this but would really appreciate any advice you have. Thanks a million! :thumbup:xxx

busybee2 Feb 27th 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by heathcliffe54 (Post 9923550)
Hi there,

My husband has just found out he'll be based at Al Dhafra Airbase and not Al Ain as we first thought.:blink:

We had been researching accommodation and schools etc in Al Ain.

I am concerned our accommodation allowance of £140k is not going to be enough to secure a 4 bed villa. We are a family of four but really want 4 bedrooms to accommodate our many visitors that are already planning their holidays!

Could I please have any advice on which areas to live? A few have been suggested to me, Al Reef, Khalifa A and B, Mohammed Bin Zayed City. Are there any others within our price range? Which are best? I'll also be looking for a good English school and would welcome any advice on one in the area? I have 2 boys. The eldest is 4 so I am expecting him to go into kindergarden after we arrive (around May I think). Youngest is only 1 so not an issue for him yet.

I know you guys get a lot of requests like this but would really appreciate any advice you have. Thanks a million! :thumbup:xxx

yes 140 will be enough nowadays for a villa in kca/kcb/al reef etc, but thats in abu dhabi. are you looking for schooling next term, as the schools here usually do not allow people to come in the third term (if there are spaces), if you are looking at for next academic year then you will have to appy now, and think you may have missed the boat for a lot of the brit schs as the application process started back in jan/feb and they are usually oversubscribed, they will always have waiting lists, and fs1 and 2 places are the most sought after. there is a new sch opened last sept called brighton college they may have places otherwise look at british international school (bisad).

Oyibopeppeh Feb 27th 2012 5:45 pm

Apart from Al Reef (and who the **** wants to live out there anyway), you'll be pushed to get anywhere of a decent size for 140K. MBZ is your best bet. Push for 180K and you'll get something reasonable.

BISAD is 10-15 mins from MBZ.

Brighton College is a minimum of a 1hr round trip from either Al Reef/KCA/MBZ

heathcliffe54 Feb 27th 2012 8:32 pm

Thanks for the advice. I am seriously concerned as we accepted the job offer based on living in Al Ain which is MUCH cheaper. Hubby has now handed in his notice and we find out we're nearer Abu Dhabi! :blink:

Been a nightmare weekend trying to decide what to do. I don't think there is any "wiggle" room on the accommodation allowance - we already rejected their first offer :thumbdown:

Going to hope we can get something to suit us within budget:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

I take it Al Reef is miles away from anything? Am I better looking at Khalifa and MBZ? What are the facilities like there? xxx

mrsSAFC Feb 27th 2012 8:50 pm

When are you moving? also moving - thinking April time...

britexpat76 Feb 27th 2012 9:40 pm

Al reef is blighted by bugs, Is miles away from anything, though Yas isn't too far away. I have not been there for over a year but all my friends there regretted moving. I lived in KCA and that was much better. Nearer to town, not bad shops, Local dry cleaning and I had the golf course on my door step. I would have to be making money on my housing to even consider Al Reef.

heathcliffe54 Feb 27th 2012 9:49 pm

Thanks so much. My husband arrives in early April. I should join him around May. If Al Reef is full of bugs there's no way I could consider it. I'm terrified of them :(

Can anyone recommend the best schools around Kalifa A, B and MBZ? I understand I really need to register now for my eldest (4) and I'm concerned I can't register on time after I arrive? Thanks :thumbup: xx

britexpat76 Feb 27th 2012 9:57 pm

I am single so have no idea on the schooling. There was a few around there though. I am sure someone will help out. Best of luck, I loved the place and was sorry to leave. Had plenty of friends in KCA with families so there is plenty of people to meet.

Oyibopeppeh Feb 28th 2012 2:56 am

Originally Posted by heathcliffe54 (Post 9924144)
Thanks so much. My husband arrives in early April. I should join him around May. If Al Reef is full of bugs there's no way I could consider it. I'm terrified of them :(

Can anyone recommend the best schools around Kalifa A, B and MBZ? I understand I really need to register now for my eldest (4) and I'm concerned I can't register on time after I arrive? Thanks :thumbup: xx

We live in KCA and our 4 yr old daughter goes to school at BISAD which is just behind AD University on the Al Ain road, 15 mins drive.

Al Yasmina school is British curriculum and is in KCA itself, but is full as far as I'm aware.

busybee2 Feb 28th 2012 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 9923631)
Apart from Al Reef (and who the **** wants to live out there anyway), you'll be pushed to get anywhere of a decent size for 140K. MBZ is your best bet. Push for 180K and you'll get something reasonable.

BISAD is 10-15 mins from MBZ.

Brighton College is a minimum of a 1hr round trip from either Al Reef/KCA/MBZ

bisad could be as little as 5 mins from mbz. bc could be as little as 15 mins from mbz. bisad from kcb is like 10 mins. bc could be 10 mins from kcb. bisad could be 10 mins from kca, bc could be 10 mins from kca. to come from al reef you must add another 15 mins on to journey times. its confusing lumping in al reef to kca/b/mbz there are not the same journey times if you do not know the area.

you will defo (i know 5 different families in the last week or so who have found for that and much less) find something for 140 in kca/kcb/mbz take it from me they are out there. in al reef you pay 170 for the biggest 5 bed with pool.

busybee2 Feb 28th 2012 3:58 am

Originally Posted by heathcliffe54 (Post 9924144)

bugs what bugs, do you mean coackroaches (they are everywhere), or do you mean mossies, as the mossies are in kca as well.

(mainland)
yasmina, brit curriculum, kca
raha, ib, kca
canadian, kca
gems, american kca
chouefiat, kca
bisad, brit curriculum kcc (behind ad univ)
cambridge high sch, brit curriculum mussafah residential

(on island)
bsak, brit curriculum
brighton college, brit curriculum (selective though)
gems, american
acs, american
ais, american/arabic

busybee2 Feb 28th 2012 4:02 am

Originally Posted by heathcliffe54 (Post 9924007)
Thanks for the advice. I am seriously concerned as we accepted the job offer based on living in Al Ain which is MUCH cheaper. Hubby has now handed in his notice and we find out we're nearer Abu Dhabi! :blink:

Been a nightmare weekend trying to decide what to do. I don't think there is any "wiggle" room on the accommodation allowance - we already rejected their first offer :thumbdown:

Going to hope we can get something to suit us within budget:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

I take it Al Reef is miles away from anything? Am I better looking at Khalifa and MBZ? What are the facilities like there? xxx

in kca there are lots of facilities, banks, shops, post office, coffee shops etc but because there are many schools now the junctions getting into and out at the rush hour times is a nightmare. in kcb there are only a few shops, and a couple of nurseries at the moment, but you will need a car and so if you drive over the motorway there are many bigger supermarkets, and there is also the new baniyas mall which when all shops are in will cater for all your needs. there is etislat at mafraq, the mafraq hotel, and mafraq hospital near by, there are shops and eateries at baniyas and in baniyas you can get anything you need so no need to drive into town if you dont want to.

you will find something for 140 dont worry.

in mbz there is a mayzad mall with a lulu supermarket and coffee shops, banks etc, a new mall opposite it will so be opening, on the opposite side of the main roads in mussafah there is delma mall which is the biggest mall in abu dhabi, although half empty at the moment. in mussafah there are many local shops etc and thats where all the car servicing and such like goes on.

Brains1983 Feb 28th 2012 11:34 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 9924596)
bugs what bugs, do you mean coackroaches (they are everywhere), or do you mean mossies, as the mossies are in kca as well.

Mossies aren't that bad, but the ****ing flies drive me nuts. It's not as bad as everyone makes out and we now like living there since we've got a good group of friends who all live in the compound. there's a shop now, a restaurant due this week.

However to be fair I'm not there through choice, just turns out that the shitty allowance I got from my employer means it's the only thing in our budget.

britexpat76 Feb 28th 2012 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 9925114)
Mossies aren't that bad, but the ****ing flies drive me nuts. It's not as bad as everyone makes out and we now like living there since we've got a good group of friends who all live in the compound. there's a shop now, a restaurant due this week.

However to be fair I'm not there through choice, just turns out that the shitty allowance I got from my employer means it's the only thing in our budget.

It was the flies I was talking about. The only bugs I encountered in KCA were ants, millions of the damn things.......And having the call to prayer speaker opposite my bedroom wasn't the best alarm call in the mornings.

Oyibopeppeh Feb 28th 2012 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 9925572)
It was the flies I was talking about. The only bugs I encountered in KCA were ants, millions of the damn things.......And having the call to prayer speaker opposite my bedroom wasn't the best alarm call in the mornings.

There's lots of them on a Thursday night in Blitz, Trap, 49ers etc