Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

moving to abu dhabi

moving to abu dhabi

Old Aug 29th 2011, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

matt_w1988 is a jewel in the roughmatt_w1988 is a jewel in the roughmatt_w1988 is a jewel in the roughmatt_w1988 is a jewel in the rough
Default moving to abu dhabi

hello! i have a few questions regarding my move that maybe someone could help with.

ok the hotel im going to be working with tell me there is a small gym at the accomadation complex, but i was wondering if there were any boxing gyms in abu dhabi and what the costs are....

also regarding tv's, im obviously not going to bring mine as its huge, so where would be a good way to buy one (duty free/internet etc), and while im on the subject of tv what about cable/satalite? as id like to keep up with the premiership while im abroad

next question is regarding mobiles. so i have a blackberry on contract, so i was wondering whether i should get a simcard or something along that line in abu dhabi, or to try and get tmobile to cancel my contract or whatever early

im sure i will have more questions in due course, but anyway thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

matt
Old Aug 29th 2011, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to abu dhabi

Prices of the latest flatscreen TV's are almost identical to the UK. If you bring one over and avoid the 20% UK VAT you'll probably get hit for the tax on it here. They ain't stupid when it comes to money.

You can get a local SIM card here at a million and one places...
Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

matt_w1988 is a jewel in the roughmatt_w1988 is a jewel in the roughmatt_w1988 is a jewel in the roughmatt_w1988 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Prices of the latest flatscreen TV's are almost identical to the UK. If you bring one over and avoid the 20% UK VAT you'll probably get hit for the tax on it here. They ain't stupid when it comes to money.

You can get a local SIM card here at a million and one places...
oh really? shame i heard that electrical appliances were far cheaper out there.

and what sort of price plans/deals do you get on the sim cards?

many thanks,

matt
Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matt_w1988
oh really? shame i heard that electrical appliances were far cheaper out there.

and what sort of price plans/deals do you get on the sim cards?

many thanks,

matt

Yes, shame Boyo...

And the only sheep you'll get here is Auz or NZ imported, so no need to bring your wellies.

Try the Du or Etisalat sites for your price plans, I can't be arsed to do it for you
Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Yes, shame Boyo...

And the only sheep you'll get here is Auz or NZ imported, so no need to bring your wellies.

Try the Du or Etisalat sites for your price plans, I can't be arsed to do it for you
well i was born in oxford..... so sheep dont do it for me.... although with the whole sleeping with a woman outside oF marrage being illegal there, i may have to buy a pair of wellies
Old Aug 29th 2011, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

scot-ish has a spectacular aura aboutscot-ish has a spectacular aura aboutscot-ish has a spectacular aura about

dont forget the velcro gloves

my partner has just purchased a UAE phone, so we are contacting via that, as its cheaper than calling/texting the UK contract she has.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot-ish
dont forget the velcro gloves

my partner has just purchased a UAE phone, so we are contacting via that, as its cheaper than calling/texting the UK contract she has.
oh yeah? the two networks i was having a mooch at, seem to have terrible amounts of miniutes/texts compared to uk networks for the similar price ranges... im sure there must be some deals they offer though.....