Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Abu Dhabi

Moving to Abu Dhabi

Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:07 am
Just Joined

laurenzo99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Abu Dhabi

I have been offered a job in Abu Dhabi and am currently deliberating whether to make the move from Scotland, UK.

I was hoping that some expats could tell me what life is like over there- both the good and the bad!

Many Thanks,

Lauren
Old Jun 18th 2011, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by laurenzo99
I have been offered a job in Abu Dhabi and am currently deliberating whether to make the move from Scotland, UK.

I was hoping that some expats could tell me what life is like over there- both the good and the bad!

Many Thanks,

Lauren
Have you tried searching for specifics in the forum as this type of question gets covered regularly? Or be a bit more specific as to what you want to know - in answer to your question, my life's great over here but guess you'd like a bit more than that?
Old Jun 18th 2011, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for a reply!

My accom. will be provided so no questions on that front. But I am interested in how it is to buy a car/ drive in AD and also how much the cost of living is (i.e. supermarket shop)

Hope someone can help....
Old Jun 18th 2011, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

mummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for a reply!

My accom. will be provided so no questions on that front. But I am interested in how it is to buy a car/ drive in AD and also how much the cost of living is (i.e. supermarket shop)

Hope someone can help....
If you are a confident driver, then driving is fine. Getting a carloan is easy enough, but time consuming and frustrating...as with any application you will make... if you multiply the time they tell you it will take by at least 4 then you may get a more accurate prediction....

I find supermarket shopping expensive, but then it depends where you shop and who you are feeding, I've got 2 fussy kids hence my high costs, but you can buy local for a fraction of the imported price (eg imported peppers = 29.95 dhs/kg, local peppers = 12.95 dhs/kg).

TV and Internet in extortionate for a crap service.

But don't be put off, it's great (most of the time)!!!
Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

My utilitities are covered, but have to pay for phone/ internet.

How much does a months line rental/ internet cost approx?

I doubt I would drive myself to be honest, so would have to rely on public transport!
Old Jun 18th 2011, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

I doubt I would drive myself to be honest, so would have to rely on public transport!
Internet/TV package costs us about £100/month

Limited public transport options - although taxis are quite cheap. Buy a second hand car, petrol is dirt cheap, and drive about yourself. But make sure that your accommodation has a parking space allocated for you!

It all depends on the person/family but I find supermarket shopping quite cheap compared to the UK, fruit and veg (always try to buy stuff sourced middle/east or india) is less than half the price, as is Australian steak.

We live in Al Ain, 1.5 hours from AD and we love it.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:17 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Many Thanks,

Lauren
Lifestyle depends on your hobbies and interests more than anything else?

Abu Dhabi expats tend to be a little more down to earth and less concerned with what car you drive and how much you earn - I lived in Dubai for 7.5 years and that was the norm, with 'normal' people being the exception (and there are plenty thankfully).

With an average income life can be good almost anywhere so a lot will depend on what you make of it.

The only real gripe here for me is the driving and the judicial system...

N.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

mummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the rough

Our internet/tv/mobile phone (for one mobile) bill is about 900dhs/month (£150). I *think* the internet alone is £50... you may get more of an idea here http://www.etisalat.ae/index.jsp?lang=en

If you live and work in town and it's just you then using taxis is fine, there are buses but I admit to knowing nothing about them.

Good luck deciding
Old Jun 19th 2011, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Lifestyle depends on your hobbies and interests more than anything else?

Abu Dhabi expats tend to be a little more down to earth and less concerned with what car you drive and how much you earn - I lived in Dubai for 7.5 years and that was the norm, with 'normal' people being the exception (and there are plenty thankfully).

With an average income life can be good almost anywhere so a lot will depend on what you make of it.

The only real gripe here for me is the driving and the judicial system...

N.
I would have agreed with this comment a couple of years ago but AD has changed for the worst and there are more expats who like to show off what they have even though most of it is probably owned by the banks! AD is a good place to live if you are sensible with money and don't try to keep up with the " Whitley-Jones' ". Driving is a nightmare so if you work in town I would recommend living in town - everything is easy to get to by taxi and the buses are good but crowded. Do you know where you will be working?
Old Jun 19th 2011, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

The only real gripe here for me.............and the judicial system...

Having just returned from a week in the UK (and a Friday night in Nottingham), the idea of UAE justice doesn't seem half as bad considering the disgusting behavior of the web-footed British pond life on a weekend....
Old Jun 20th 2011, 5:27 am
Account Closed

Tillybean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Having just returned from a week in the UK (and a Friday night in Nottingham), the idea of UAE justice doesn't seem half as bad considering the disgusting behavior of the web-footed British pond life on a weekend....
I lived in Nottingham years and years ago and always thought it was a great city. Went back last year for a weekend and was frankly shocked. Read somewhere that Nottingham now has the highest crime rate per capita in the UK (outside of London).

It was sad to see the Market Square as a bit of a no-go zone....I remember many a drunken but fun night prancing through the square on the way to/from some dodgy club....Cookie Club anyone.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 7:17 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soukie
I would have agreed with this comment a couple of years ago but AD has changed for the worst and there are more expats who like to show off what they have even though most of it is probably owned by the banks! AD is a good place to live if you are sensible with money and don't try to keep up with the " Whitley-Jones' ". Driving is a nightmare so if you work in town I would recommend living in town - everything is easy to get to by taxi and the buses are good but crowded. Do you know where you will be working?
I don't associate with capricious idiots so I wouldn't know - we pick up on people like that in my social circle and tend to exclude them.

I do agree with you that there are more people like that now but it's no where near as bad as Dubai where the appearance of wealth and status can make or break you in some social circles...thankfully there are still down to earth people there too.

N.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
The UK needs to go back to harsh prisons where the guards rule and start dishing out nasty punishments to deter crime so I agree with you there.

However I'd rather be in the UK and face justice there if accused of a crime I didn't commit. I believe we still generally treat all people equally before the law in the UK (well...except the royal family!).

N.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't associate with capricious idiots so I wouldn't know - we pick up on people like that in my social circle and tend to exclude them.
I do agree with you that there are more people like that now but it's no where near as bad as Dubai where the appearance of wealth and status can make or break you in some social circles...thankfully there are still down to earth people there too.

N.
Neither do we but a bit of people watching and eaves dropping in the school playground tells me things have changed in AD. Agree with you about Dubai - it's always been that way though even when we were there in the early 90's the Dewbye set were there. The only difference is that they probably owned their flash cars and jewellery then whereas the majority now have the debt to go with the flashiness.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

If I choose to move and accept the position then I would be working for a School near the golf course. Am not sure where accom. will be.

As a young, single, white female will there be any issues with me going places along (i.e. supermarket/ cinema not bars)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.