Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving to Abu Dhabi

Moving to Abu Dhabi

Old Mar 1st 2010, 11:30 am
Just Joined

TheBigLad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Abu Dhabi

There seem to be a number of slightly differing posts about living cost in Abu Dhabi, so any help would be hugely appreciated.

I have recently been approached by a large property and construction firm to run their recruitment division. I'm coming over sometime this week or next for meetings but want to get as definitive an answer to the cost of living question as I possibly can.

The package being discussed at the moment equates to around AED35,000 + medical and 3 flights a year for me and my family to return to the UK.

I have a son of 3, and my wife would like to work if she can. I have a house in London which I will rent out (circa £3000 p/m) so could top up my salary from that, but ideally the mortgage will get paid down as quickly as possible.

Questions:
Are we going to struggle on this package or is it doable?
Can my wife work?
Is the price of housing coming down at all, and is it best to get the company to pay for the accomodation out of my salary? Clearly paying 6 months to a year in advance is going to prove a little tricky!?
Are school places becoming more readily available or is it still tough? Not a massive worry at this stage, but important nonetheless.

Thanks

Last edited by TheBigLad; Mar 1st 2010 at 11:35 am.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi

Hi

I think you will struggle on that paying nursery fees and accommodation too. Your wife may be able to get a job, however if like me she doesn't have a degree, then the only jobs available will be extremely low paying ones, unless you are lucky and find her a job through networking.

On the other hand 35k plus an accommodation allowance of say 180k would sound like a good deal to me. 3 flights home a year sounds quite generous too, most of the people I know just get one. You will also need an upfront house furnishing allowance, nearly all lets are unfurnished, often even without white goods. An allowance for buying a car would come in handy as well.

There are people out there who can survive and pay accommodation out of 20k per month, however if you have had a nice house in the UK, you will want a similar or better standard of living out here. Many things are cheaper, cars and fuel, many foods are cheaper so long as you buy local brands and not the uk/european ones, but clothes are more expensive than the uk. For us the cost of living here is cheaper than at home, but we don't drink and when we do eat out it's at local indian/arabic/lebanese cafe/restaurants.

Good luck with your move!
Old Mar 1st 2010, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheBigLad
There seem to be a number of slightly differing posts about living cost in Abu Dhabi, so any help would be hugely appreciated.

I have recently been approached by a large property and construction firm to run their recruitment division. I'm coming over sometime this week or next for meetings but want to get as definitive an answer to the cost of living question as I possibly can.

The package being discussed at the moment equates to around AED35,000 + medical and 3 flights a year for me and my family to return to the UK.

I have a son of 3, and my wife would like to work if she can. I have a house in London which I will rent out (circa £3000 p/m) so could top up my salary from that, but ideally the mortgage will get paid down as quickly as possible.

Questions:
Can my wife work?
Is the price of housing coming down at all, and is it best to get the company to pay for the accomodation out of my salary? Clearly paying 6 months to a year in advance is going to prove a little tricky!?
Are school places becoming more readily available or is it still tough? Not a massive worry at this stage, but important nonetheless.

Thanks
Rents are still high... 3 bed flats in the city are still 200k AED + for nice ones.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

AED 35k / month will need to have accomm provided or a suitable allowance on top as well.

As you phrased it, 3 Flights / year seems generous these days (I got it for Qatar in the late 90s mind you). Suspect this is 1 Flight / year for 3 people?
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheBigLad

Questions:
Can my wife work?

Thanks
You must have your accommodation covered,either separately or included in the package.
if your salary is high enough then no problem , accommodation is a must as there will be a fair amount of cost setting up.

good luck
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Mullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the rough

Depends on your situation back in the UK, if you have a steady well paying job then maybe stick with it. If not then go for it. I'm on the same salary as you've been offered and am coping just fine.

35k AED equates to £70k a year (ignoring the current weakness of the sterling), take home pay. If your prepared to live off island you can rent villas for under 200K AED p.a., 2 bed apartments on island range from 130K - 230k depending on location, facilities and how new the development is. If you spent £30k a year on a property rental that leaves you £40k in the bank to rent a car (2k - 4k AED p.m.), schooling for your child (max 50k AED per year), holidays, food, bills etc. If you couldn't survive on this level of disposable income in the UK then you need a bigger salary, if you can then consider it.

It's all a matter of opinion, but if you come here and buy all the things you want in the UK but can't have (4x4, swimming pool, whores) you'll end up in debt. If you live a 'normal life' (standard saloon car, paddling pool, wife) you'll get by.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 9:32 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mullet
It's all a matter of opinion, but if you come here and buy all the things you want in the UK but can't have (4x4, swimming pool, whores) you'll end up in debt. If you live a 'normal life' (standard saloon car, paddling pool, wife) you'll get by.
Surely the UK still has whores? Has Gordon Brown's puritanical dourness driven them out too? Golly!
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 10:04 am
Account Closed

Tillybean is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree that 35,000 AED plus accommodation would be suitable and check if your firm pays for schooling - mine does for up to three children.

With regards to your wife working - what kind of work would she be looking for? There is certainly work around, particularly admin, and if she was looking to be the second earner rather than the primary (and therefore not qualify for housing, nor need medical etc) I would imagine that she wouldnt have too much trouble getting a job.

I dont have a degree, and have never had any trouble getting good, well payed, administration roles.