Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving abroad with a young family

Moving abroad with a young family

Old Nov 5th 2018, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

HannahSF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving abroad with a young family

My husband I have talked for years about moving abroad and recently have started looking into it a little more seriously.
We have 4 young children aged between 11 months and 7 years and believe it would be an amazing opportunity for them especially whilst they are young.

My question is how difficult would it be for my husband to find work? We have friends in Dubai who have found work very easily, one of which is a pilot and the other a teacher so I know these areas are very sought after. My husband is a Warehouse Manager for an e-commerce company and a retained Firefighter, something he has been doing for 12 years so has a huge amount of experience. He would ideally like to find work within the Fire Service as this is his passion. Does anyone know if there is any chance of him getting this type of work in Dubai or any other country?? We are quite open to looking at different places!!
I work from home and my employees would be happy to continue to employee me if we moved abroad so I do not have to worry about work.

Any advice will be great fully received!!
Old Nov 6th 2018, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving abroad with a young family

Originally Posted by HannahSF
My husband I have talked for years about moving abroad and recently have started looking into it a little more seriously.
We have 4 young children aged between 11 months and 7 years and believe it would be an amazing opportunity for them especially whilst they are young.

My question is how difficult would it be for my husband to find work? We have friends in Dubai who have found work very easily, one of which is a pilot and the other a teacher so I know these areas are very sought after. My husband is a Warehouse Manager for an e-commerce company and a retained Firefighter, something he has been doing for 12 years so has a huge amount of experience. He would ideally like to find work within the Fire Service as this is his passion. Does anyone know if there is any chance of him getting this type of work in Dubai or any other country?? We are quite open to looking at different places!!
I work from home and my employees would be happy to continue to employee me if we moved abroad so I do not have to worry about work.

Any advice will be great fully received!!

Most Western fire fighters that i know here are now Managers in large companies such Emirates they all were working for other firms but were laid off last year ( They are all mid to late 40s) I dont think the Civil Defence fire service here employs many Westerners and if you look on linked in they all seem to be Arabic or Filipino,if they do hire Western staff then it is all done by word of mouth and through friends who work here ( Old boys club etc) Emirates provide education assistance which would be needed as otherwise would take a massive chunk out of your wages however they are very strict on the criteria for said roles An average British primary school costs 11,000GBP per year per child.
Most GCC countries would be the same with regards to the above criteria and to be perfectly honest the UAE is the most sought after place to work in as Oman has a huge drive to recruit their own nationals, Qatar isnt a great place to live, Bahrain is small and Saudi Arabia is on a huge drive to put their own nationals in . Does he have any ex FF friends who could advise? Most Warehouse Managers here are Asian as is their workforce. There used to be alot of Westerners doing this role but in the last few years companies hired cheaper staff who were fluent in multiple languages
Get him to look on linked in and see if he can connect with any guys here

Good Luck
Old Nov 6th 2018, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Basically - the Middle East or any of the emerging markets will not be the right place to try this given your skills mix and number of kids. Look at developed countries ... like Australia, US, NZ etc.
Old Dec 4th 2018, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Alan1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

I second that.

I went out to Dubai with 2 very young kids in 2011 and we returned to the UK by 2015 mainly due to escalating living costs. It's great if you both work or one of you has a fantastic job, however middle management or below you can forget it. It's a fantastic safe and wonderful place to live, but living is key to that lifestyle, merely surviving does not make for a great experience. The school costs alone for 2 kids are astronomic. Make sure you factor in all possible costs before you investigate further.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 9:36 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Dubai but we left specifically before our kids reached 3 because it is a bonkers place and a dictatorship and you really don't want to bring up kids there. Even aside from the costs, and whether your professions are going to be wanted there.

Going abroad is indeed an amazing opportunity for kids, but only if you go to somewhere that wants to open their eyes, not drill them to accept a feudal dictatorship's view of the world unquestioningly. And maybe lock them up for spying for MI6 if they ask the wrong questions.

Sheikh Mo has kidnapped and tortured two of his own daughters for stretching their wings a bit, so think about what regard the country might have for your kids!
Old Dec 5th 2018, 9:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by captainflack
I was in Dubai but we left specifically before our kids reached 3 because it is a bonkers place and a dictatorship and you really don't want to bring up kids there. Even aside from the costs, and whether your professions are going to be wanted there.

Going abroad is indeed an amazing opportunity for kids, but only if you go to somewhere that wants to open their eyes, not drill them to accept a feudal dictatorship's view of the world unquestioningly. And maybe lock them up for spying for MI6 if they ask the wrong questions.

Sheikh Mo has kidnapped and tortured two of his own daughters for stretching their wings a bit, so think about what regard the country might have for your kids!
The irony of a place not being good enough for your spawn which has (probably) afforded you (and your spawn) a more comfortable life is ****ing amazing.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

In Saudi Arabia these jobs in "Civil Defence" ie Firefighting are held by locals with the assitsance of Filipinos and Bangladeshis.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

The poster hasnt been on since 05 Nov so i doubt they are reading the forum replies
Old Dec 5th 2018, 10:15 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan1978
It's a fantastic safe and wonderful place to live.
Actually, it's the most dangerous place I ever lived. Because although you're a quarter less likely to be murdered than in the UK, you're 5-10 times more likely to be killed in a road accident. And even in the UK (higher crime, safer roads), road accidents still kill far more people than murders.

It's hard to believe I know, considering the courteous nature of UAE drivers, the stringent tests they go through, and the rigid adherence to speed limits and maintaining safe distances, not to mention having the most honest, unbiased, hard working cops anywhere in the world. But the roads are actually rather dangerous.

Last edited by captainflack; Dec 5th 2018 at 10:24 am.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 10:21 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

Originally Posted by Scamp
The irony of a place not being good enough for your spawn which has (probably) afforded you (and your spawn) a more comfortable life is ****ing amazing.
Not ironic at all. I went in with eyes open, to make some cash and get out before I end up in jail or dead in a smoking wreck on SZR. Doesn't mean I have to drink the kool-aid and start thinking feudal medieval government underpinned by a belief in magic sky fairies is the way to go. And maybe when my kids are older, they might choose to do the same (if it hasn't gone full Taliban and descended into bearded religious freaks in rusty toyota pickups fighting over rubble, like most arab states tend towards eventually).

Last edited by captainflack; Dec 5th 2018 at 10:25 am.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 11:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Not ironic at all. I went in with eyes open, to make some cash and get out before I end up in jail or dead in a smoking wreck on SZR. Doesn't mean I have to drink the kool-aid and start thinking feudal medieval government underpinned by a belief in magic sky fairies is the way to go. And maybe when my kids are older, they might choose to do the same (if it hasn't gone full Taliban and descended into bearded religious freaks in rusty toyota pickups fighting over rubble, like most arab states tend towards eventually).
So not ironic, you're just smarter than the entire Arab world. Gotcha.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe she found a time machine and emigrated to an era more suited to her expectations.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 4:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reddiva
The poster hasnt been on since 05 Nov so i doubt they are reading the forum replies
That was just the last time she posted.

If you click on a user's profile you should able to see when they last visited the forum, I don't think it's a mod thing, I'm sure I used to be able to do it before I became a mod?
Old Dec 6th 2018, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Try Saudi , Qatar , Yemen and Africa for the driving fella . Dubai's like Piddeltrenthide in Dorset compared to those . Anyway a lot of what you say has a smear of truth but you sound a tad bitter
Old Dec 8th 2018, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

(if it hasn't gone full Taliban and descended into bearded religious freaks in rusty toyota pickups fighting over rubble, like most arab states tend towards eventually).
with of course, no influence from our own nation in that outcome, allowing us to justifiably judge from a distance how badly the 'arab states' are at managing their own affairs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.