Reload this Page >

Moving on the 15th

Moving on the 15th

Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Superdarts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving on the 15th

Hi All,

I am moving to Dubai with my wife on the 15th of September – we both have jobs in the Oil industry, my wife is moving with the same company and am changing company. We will both be working in Sharjah, but living in Dubai – most likely Arabian Ranches.

I have a number of concern / queries which I would be very grateful for any assistance –

What visa do I have to enter the country with? I have done nothing about looking into this as yet!!!

My work will be at the Hamriyah Free Zone, with my wife in the centre of Sharjah – would having one car be manageable?

Bank Account and transferring money back to the UK – what sort of rates are the international banks providing for transfer of AED to Pounds at the moment – I will have to transfer funds home on a monthly basis.

Are there any disadvantages / downsides of living at Arabian Ranches? I realise the commute will take an hour each way on average.

Any advise on buying a car? We have both signed up for permanent deals however we only intend to stay 2 years.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:03 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving on the 15th

Petrofac?

welcome to BE

You can come in on a visit visa, your employer will transfer it to a residence visa once you get here and have the necessary blood tests done etc. Your wife can either get a visa via the company or go on your visa, that is up to you two to decide.

Arabian Ranches, very nice but if I was you I would look at Mirdif or even Sharjah, no point wasting time in the car.

You won't be able to buy a car until you have your visas sorted out.

Good luck
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there only one company in the centre of Sharjah? Yes my wife will be working for Petrofac.
We had a look at Mirdif when we were over last month, but the noise from the airport put us off – but your right, the less time in the car the better.
Is there anywhere in Mirdif or surrounding areas with less noise?
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:48 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Superdarts
Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there only one company in the centre of Sharjah? Yes my wife will be working for Petrofac.
We had a look at Mirdif when we were over last month, but the noise from the airport put us off – but your right, the less time in the car the better.
Is there anywhere in Mirdif or surrounding areas with less noise?
Petrofac are the main oil and gas players and the only ones (I think) who have a head office in the centre of Sharjah.

Some areas of Mirdif are fine, you just need to view and then sit around for a while to listen for the noise. I am not from Mirdif but Mata Hari and Spugsy are, they might be better to advise. I had heard that the villas way back from Spinneys are quieter but not sure if that is true. Depending on budget take a look at the Garhoud area as well. If I remember rightly Petrofac aren't overly flash with their cash when it comes to housing.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:49 pm
Concierge

and is your job with Lamprell
Old Sep 1st 2008, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

No – I will be working for Sea Trucks.

Budget for a 2 bedroom place will be around the 200 – 220 AED mark.

Spent today looking into Ajman as a potential option, can’t seem to find many properties to rent there tho??

Anybody on here live in Ajman? Recommend it ahead of commuting back and forth to the Arabian Ranches on a daily basis? Slightly concerned that there wouldn’t be enough to do, especially as we are expecting a lot of visitors during our stay.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Petrofac?

Jings there is an outfit, hope your missus can help make them a little more professional out here...

For hamyria and sharjah, why not consider al hamra in RAK. Know lots of people who work for lamprell and moved out there.

I commuted from the springs to hamyria for about 3 months but jacked the job as life just aint for living stuck in traffic or dicing with death(it IS that bad on the roads)

Live as close as you can bare to shj. Personally I'd chose mirdif, having lived their when it was barron and thought it was ok, considering its so much better now it has to be one of the best areas in town.

Oh and if your wife is in petrofac HR (actually it was DP) when you offer someone a job, you tend to follow it up with a contract offer lol....

Good luck. Ps your budget is plenty for an apartment but may struggle in arabian ranches
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 5:06 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
Petrofac?

Jings there is an outfit, hope your missus can help make them a little more professional out here...

For hamyria and sharjah, why not consider al hamra in RAK. Know lots of people who work for lamprell and moved out there.

I commuted from the springs to hamyria for about 3 months but jacked the job as life just aint for living stuck in traffic or dicing with death(it IS that bad on the roads)

Live as close as you can bare to shj. Personally I'd chose mirdif, having lived their when it was barron and thought it was ok, considering its so much better now it has to be one of the best areas in town.

Oh and if your wife is in petrofac HR (actually it was DP) when you offer someone a job, you tend to follow it up with a contract offer lol....

Good luck. Ps your budget is plenty for an apartment but may struggle in arabian ranches

I agree I would look into Mirdif or even Sharjah, you get more for money in Sharjah it will be perfect for the wife. Alot of the Petrofac folk are in Sharjah so could be good for networking etc.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

Chesney Hawkes will become famous soon enoughChesney Hawkes will become famous soon enough

Hi All,

I am moving to Dubai with my wife on the 15th of September – we both have jobs in the Oil industry, my wife is moving with the same company and am changing company. We will both be working in Sharjah, but living in Dubai – most likely Arabian Ranches.

I have a number of concern / queries which I would be very grateful for any assistance –

What visa do I have to enter the country with? I have done nothing about looking into this as yet!!!

My work will be at the Hamriyah Free Zone, with my wife in the centre of Sharjah – would having one car be manageable?

Bank Account and transferring money back to the UK – what sort of rates are the international banks providing for transfer of AED to Pounds at the moment – I will have to transfer funds home on a monthly basis.

Are there any disadvantages / downsides of living at Arabian Ranches? I realise the commute will take an hour each way on average.

Any advise on buying a car? We have both signed up for permanent deals however we only intend to stay 2 years.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Hi Superdarts,

I worked in a Oil company at home and spoke to someone about Petrofac before i moved but decided it was too far to travel. I'm in "new Dubai" though and i'm not sure how long it would take from AR but i would rather stay there and do the hour drive than live in Sharjah.

On your budget you could get a 2 bed + study in Alreem or a 2 bed in Palmera. Both very nice. I know a lot of people who stay there and work in oil companies in Jebil Ali and that can take up to hour (well before the new fly over opened) and it was ok.

Also you will be going against the traffic as the majority are coming from Sharjah to work in Dubai.

So personally i would go for AR
I don't think there are many down sides to be honest.

Visa - just come in on your visit visa and ask your companies to sort out your residecy asap (although this is easier said than done in Dubai sometimes!).

Car - don't think you can buy one until you have your recidence visa. Just hire until it comes through (i can give you number of one we used if you want and they were very good). We have a car each, better that way as you defo need a car to get about and it's not so much to run as at home. We both have 4x4 here We would never manage to have that at home.

Bank account and transfering money back to UK - We are with Lloyds, they offer free tranfers to a offshore account any day of the month. Just go in and see them. They have been really good with us.

I hope this helps and if you need to know anything else just give us a shout.

Mrs Hawkes
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 5:43 am
Concierge

well for what it is worth I wouldn't even dream of driving from AR to Sharjah every day. It just isn't worth it, it took my husband 4 hours to get back from RAK last week as there had been an accident. The risk alone of spending alot of time on the roads out here just isn't worth it. There is nothing wrong with living in Sharjah, you get way more for your money, it is quiet, the roads are nowhere near as bad as here. At the end of the day it is your choice.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Chesney Hawkes will become famous soon enoughChesney Hawkes will become famous soon enough

Yeah it's your choice guys. I'm just telling you what i think (and bare in mind i haven't done the AR to Sharjah run) so maybe you should give it a go before you go ahead and move there.

Traffic here can be really bad and there are a lot of accidents so the roads are pretty scarey but i guess it depends whats most important to you.

We came here to stay in Dubai not Sharjah so it's different for us i guess.....

Mrs H
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys,

Really appreciate all the advice.
I was shying away from Sharjah due to there being no licensed premises and not being able to drink in your own house – correct?
That would certainly be a problem when we have visitors over.
We arrive on the 15th and don’t start work until the 21st and I’m getting a car from work when we arrive until I get a chance to buy something, so we will manage to get a good look around before we start work.

Somewhere around the Mirdif area without the noise from the airport would be ideal, although I think I’m probably asking for a bit much.

Where is the border between Dubai and Sharjah?
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys,

Really appreciate all the advice.
I was shying away from Sharjah due to there being no licensed premises and not being able to drink in your own house – correct?
That would certainly be a problem when we have visitors over.
We arrive on the 15th and don’t start work until the 21st and I’m getting a car from work when we arrive until I get a chance to buy something, so we will manage to get a good look around before we start work.

Somewhere around the Mirdif area without the noise from the airport would be ideal, although I think I’m probably asking for a bit much.

Where is the border between Dubai and Sharjah?

Yeah as far as i know it's "dry" no booze.

Not sure where Dubai finishes and Sharjah starts to be honest.

Mirdiff seems to be a bit cheaper than AR too. I've only been up that way a couple of times so not too sure about the noise but it has a really nice shopping centre area.

Yeah you should have a look around when you get here before you decide. Good plan!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:56 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Mirdif sort of under a flightpath and it doesn't bother me in the least...I am sitting outside now and I really cannot remember if there have been planes over today, but of couse there have been...Oh I see one right now...lol
It's really not a big deal although there will always be people that will never get used to it I suppose...
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chesney Hawkes
Yeah as far as i know it's "dry" no booze.

Not sure where Dubai finishes and Sharjah starts to be honest.

Mirdiff seems to be a bit cheaper than AR too. I've only been up that way a couple of times so not too sure about the noise but it has a really nice shopping centre area.

Yeah you should have a look around when you get here before you decide. Good plan!
the border is around the AL mulla plaza me thinks??

just follow the traffic jam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.