Reload this Page >

The move to teach in Dubai

The move to teach in Dubai

Old Jan 10th 2014, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

CloMo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The move to teach in Dubai

Good Evening,

Me and the future Mrs CloMo are planning to take the plunge and move to teach in Dubai. We are both teachers in England, and have been for the past two years. Ideally we want to teach in the same school (as we do here).

We have some questions we are desperate to find the answers to... any help would be fantastic

- What is it really like out there? the conditions, attitudes towards women etc.
- Is it a harder working environment out there?
- How have you found it out there?
- What are the real rules regarding clothing, through reading on loads of embassy websites it is pretty strict, but how tolerant is it?
- Obviously the location is amazing, but how much of a threat is Dubai? is it a dangerous place to live?

Thanks for any help!

CloMo
Old Jan 11th 2014, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The move to teach in Dubai

Originally Posted by CloMo
Good Evening,

Me and the future Mrs CloMo are planning to take the plunge and move to teach in Dubai. We are both teachers in England, and have been for the past two years. Ideally we want to teach in the same school (as we do here).

We have some questions we are desperate to find the answers to... any help would be fantastic

- What is it really like out there? the conditions, attitudes towards women etc.
- What are the real rules regarding clothing, through reading on loads of embassy websites it is pretty strict, but how tolerant is it?
- Obviously the location is amazing, but how much of a threat is Dubai? is it a dangerous place to live?

Thanks for any help!

CloMo
Have you ever been here?
Old Jan 11th 2014, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

also consider Abu Dhabi
Old Jan 12th 2014, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Good Evening,

Thanks for any help!

CloMo
I suggest you read through some of the threads on this site.. your questions have been answered time and time again. If you use the search function at the top of the page it will bring up numerous threads to answer your questions.
You are safer in Dubai then most western cities, re crime etc and definitely safer from terrorist attacks :-D
Old Jan 13th 2014, 4:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Good Evening,

Thanks for any help!

CloMo
I'll handle this one guys:

- What is it really like out there? the conditions, attitudes towards women etc. Conditions...well it's sunny today and about 16degrees on my drive to work. Think London, but hotter. It's a city where you can do almost anything you want (within reason). DO NOT read / believe the Daily Mail. Attitudes towards women...my mrs (also a teacher) has been tutted at once, for not having her shoulders covered at the shitty airport terminal. Other than that, she shows respect in what she wears at the mall and out and about etc, particularly during Ramadan.
- Is it a harder working environment out there? You don't get to come here and piss about earning tax free money. You have to work, I work harder here than in the UK, she probably does too. Teaching - every parent (or their company) is paying a lot of money for the schooling, so expect them to take interest in what's happening...not because they give a shit about their scrotum child, but because it's hurting their pocket.
- How have you found it out there? Incredible. Best thing I've ever done.
- What are the real rules regarding clothing, through reading on loads of embassy websites it is pretty strict, but how tolerant is it? Dubai is a terrorist target if you read the FCO website...Just cover shoulders and knees in malls and public areas, ignore the Russian's who wear virtually nothing. Just be mindful of where you will be going, who might be there (Muslims / Single men fromt he sub-con - apparently getting stared at isn't too fun?)
- Obviously the location is amazing, but how much of a threat is Dubai? is it a dangerous place to live? Not in the slightest. The only crime I have been victim of is someone taking the 10dhs from underneath my empty water tank bottle. Bastards.