Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Move to Rhyiah - any advice would be much appreciated!!

Move to Rhyiah - any advice would be much appreciated!!

Old May 21st 2013, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

timblefull is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Move to Rhyiah - any advice would be much appreciated!!

Hi all,

I'm wondering if any one can give me some advice. I am moving to Saudi in august. I am a health worker and have been given a contract of 13,000 with housing in a compound and a driver paid for. I am led to believe this is a good deal.

The thing is I am terrified of it, and from reading posts I wonder have I good reason? I am moving to make money for one year and had kind of hoped I would meet nice people and have a good year but when I read about it I feel like I am going to some kind of odd, very hot and unfriendly prison (I know prison would probably never be friendly but you know what I mean)
is it very hard to meet people in compounds? Is there any fun/life to be had at all?
any advice would be great!

Claire

Last edited by timblefull; May 21st 2013 at 12:33 pm. Reason: i spelt riyadh wrong
Old May 21st 2013, 12:31 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Rhyiah - any advice would be much appreciated!!

Originally Posted by timblefull
Hi all,

I'm wondering if any one can give me some advice. I am moving to Saudi in august. I am a health worker and have been given a contract of 13,000 with housing in a compound and a driver paid for. I am led to believe this is a good deal.

The thing is I am terrified of it, and from reading posts I wonder have I good reason? I am moving to make money for one year and had kind of hoped I would meet nice people and have a good year but when I read about it I feel like I am going to some kind of odd, very hot and unfriendly prison (I know prison would probably never be friendly but you know what I mean)
is it very hard to meet people in compounds? Is there any fun/life to be had at all?
any advice would be great!

Claire
I think comparing Saudi to a prison is an unjust reflection on prisons........

In all seriousness I am not the best to respond, I thinks its awful. Any work in UAE or Doha?
Old May 21st 2013, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Its ok, thanks for getting back to me!

Why is it so bad??? Is there not a nice social life in the compounds? Kind of a 'we're in this together may as well make it a nice time' type atmosphere? Its ok to be honest, probably best I know these thing before I sign a contract!
Old May 21st 2013, 12:36 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you will be living on site in hospital accommodation so not truly a compound, but maybe I am wrong.
If this is the case the driver will turn out to be the bus driver who brings the lot of you to work every day or to the mall on Friday.

Might be worth checking out the fine print.
Old May 21st 2013, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

No i got my employer to send pictures of my apartment and i know the compound i will be in. It is an actual driver too because i insisted on account of being terrified...
Old May 21st 2013, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Again, thanks for any replies and so quickly!! I have until the end of the month to make this decision so best to get all in perspectives.
Old May 21st 2013, 12:41 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by timblefull
No i got my employer to send pictures of my apartment and i know the compound i will be in. It is an actual driver too because i insisted on account of being terrified...
What's the compound name? As your salary is low its funny that they will pay for a western compound as it will probably cost 100k SAR for a year.
Old May 21st 2013, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

Al ramizon...it is strange but the deal was they would give me a nice western friendly place to stay and they were adamant that the salary was good and that i would be able to save loads...i had my doubts
Old May 21st 2013, 1:00 pm
Knee deep and rising

You probably will save all of your salary to be honest as there is nothing much to spend it on except food, so on that score they are right.

I meant in general it seemed low but I don't know medical salary rates so if it is better than what you are getting now then I guess its a good deal.

Romaizan as far as I know is a sort of decent mid level compound, but its been 2.5 years since I was there so I don't know how it is now.
Old May 21st 2013, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Ok thanks for that...it is not better, its lower but not when I take how much I'll save into account!!! Hmmm decisions decisions!
Old May 21st 2013, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hippacrocapig will become famous soon enoughHippacrocapig will become famous soon enough

Romazion is a nice compound with a bar and restaurant.
What are you terrified of ?
If you're only coming for a year then just suck it and see. I've been here 30 months now and think its better than the UK in a lot of ways. But then I have my family and everything's on a plate. Golden handcuffs.
Old May 21st 2013, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Well, if you look at a lot of posts there is a lot of negative feedback and everyone I talk to about moving tells me im mad and to change my mind but I just think it couldn't be so bad!! I guess would worry about 1) not meeting people as it seems to be a common theme - how to create a social life 2) doing something wrong by mistake and getting in trouble Saudi style that's nice you have your family there, im sure it makes it easier!
Old May 21st 2013, 3:11 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Are the people you are talking to in the UK, or the ME? If in the UK do they have ANY knowledge of the ME/KSA? Most likely not, so ignore them. People spout all sorts on nonsense about the ME, although KSA is probably the worse option of any country in the GCC. It is restrictive, but your experience there will depends on various factors including, where you are living, accommodation, work, colleagues and your attitude to it all.

If you plan to work in KSA for just a year starting soon, then you will still be liable for UK income tax as you need to be out for a full tax year (6th April to 5th April) to be considered UK non-resident for tax purposes.
Old May 21st 2013, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks meow, I have just been looking on lots of sites about moving and invariably there is 1 or two comments saying 'don't!!' other them that yes its people who read things about Saudi and the laws there that have a bad impression of the place. I guess its down to attitude too.

I am Irish but I had heard that you need to work a little over a year to avoid that.
Old May 21st 2013, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

If it is an OK compound that should make a difference. Some people take to liofe there and some do not. Try it and see !" The town is RIYADH.

I find it hard to beleive that your employer has assigned to you a personal driver, but strange things do happen. i think you are more likely to be bussed to work and buissed back again. With buses laidm on for shopping trips at weekends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.