British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Move with family to Saudi? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/move-family-saudi-781351/)

Not again Dec 22nd 2012 12:00 am

Move with family to Saudi?

Hi, this is my first post so please be gentle.

I'm currently teaching English in Thailand and I am considering applying for a job in Saudi. I'm just a basic tefl teacher, although I do have a degree and a CELTA. Both my wife and son have dual British and Thai nationalities and I have 2 years teaching experience. I have no idea if any of this is relevant but I thought it might be.

My question is, how possible or unlikely is it for me to find a teaching job that allows me to bring my family with me? I am not interested in going, completing a probation period and applying for them to come over later. They must arrive in Saudi with me!

Thank you.

NA

Ash786 Dec 22nd 2012 5:17 am

Re: Move with family to Saudi?

Apply for the job and then ask them that question at interview if you get as far as that. Saudi life is complicated (especially getting visa's). Some people come over first, see what the life is like, then decide whether or not to bring the family over. I would suggest you do the same.

nonthaburi Dec 22nd 2012 6:01 am

I've just done this myself . I was working in Thailand and my family has just joined me . I applied for many different jobs , had quite a few interviews and I was offered about five jobs . Getting a job here is easy . that was my experience anyway . I asked about my family and what would happen regarding them at the interview stage and none of them said that they would be able to come at the same time as me . It varied from a six month probation period to as soon as I had got the Iqama as to how long it took . Most of them said as soon as I had got the Iqama they would start the process . In my case it took about three months for everything to be done and my family to be able to join me . Part of that was when everything closed down for Eid though . Things do take time though and my wife had a bit of running around to do in BKK as well . My kids have got dual nationality but I think it's better to have them do the visas in their UK passport as it makes travel around the region easier . Ditto for your wife if she has that .
Sorry to disappoint you but I would say that you were looking at 2 months minimum on your own before they could join you.

Not again Dec 22nd 2012 7:49 am

Thanks for the replies. Looks like that idea is out the window then.

Oh, sod it!

scot47 Dec 22nd 2012 10:43 am

Not so. I worked for a govt university and it is common practice there for teachers to arrive with dependants

Try www.kfupm.edu.sa
and www.dcc.edu.sa

They ask for an MA but many work there without one. Many teachers with dependants. A very multicultural scene - accommodation on camous with reasonable facilities.

AVOID contractors who farm you out to other employers.
Check out
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewfo...ee5a5af1e92964

mission Dec 22nd 2012 3:30 pm

just out of curiosity the folks who said they are also married to thai women and were/are in a similar situation.....i hope you guys didn't marry thai women who were young enough to be your daughters....coz we ALL know thats what goes on in Thailand...especially with old white brit guys.

Beakersful Dec 22nd 2012 3:54 pm

These conversations about bringing in dependents always seem to aim at first timers. Now, bearing in mind you may be issued a one year Iqama, and you could carry on with the same employer the following year(s) obtaining new Iqama's. it may sound a dumb question, but it has to be asked:

If you have to wait approx 3 months to get your family in, what happens at the beginning of the second year in peoples experience? Can your family come straight in? Do they have to wait another three months (average)? If you shift to a second employer (new contract) are your family discluded from the region for another 3 months?

scot47 Dec 22nd 2012 6:41 pm

Employers that operate the 3-month probation would not expect you go through the same hoops in a new contract. As I said above, there are reputable employers in KSA who do not practice the probation system. I had to undergo that when I worked for Saudi Arabian Airlines but not at King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals.

PM me if you weant to discuss further

Kix Dec 22nd 2012 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by mission (Post 10446775)
just out of curiosity the folks who said they are also married to thai women and were/are in a similar situation.....i hope you guys didn't marry thai women who were young enough to be your daughters....coz we ALL know thats what goes on in Thailand...especially with old white brit guys.

We ALL know that? Really?

Methinks you're jealous cos at least most orientals look after themselves and their man, whereas a sizeable number of Brit women let themselves go in more ways than one.

Does that sound like you Ms Mission?

scot47 Dec 22nd 2012 7:57 pm

Can we stay on topic about bringing dependants to KSA ? If you want to discuss who you think we should marry can you start another thread ?

Beakersful Dec 22nd 2012 8:26 pm

@Scot47, so basically it's down to bureaucratic competency of the employer then, not any obscure government rules. There's marriage on the cards down the line, so I'll be feeling out my employers as to how they can manage it when the time comes.

scot47 Dec 22nd 2012 8:28 pm

It is ALL about your employer. I suggest that you choose your masters with some care !

nonthaburi Dec 23rd 2012 3:29 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 10446775)

what is the relevance of this ?

you must be an armchair expert on Thailand or you spent too much time in Pattaya .

nonthaburi Dec 23rd 2012 3:31 am

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 10446786)
These conversations about bringing in dependents always seem to aim at first timers. Now, bearing in mind you may be issued a one year Iqama, and you could carry on with the same employer the following year(s) obtaining new Iqama's. it may sound a dumb question, but it has to be asked:

If you have to wait approx 3 months to get your family in, what happens at the beginning of the second year in peoples experience? Can your family come straight in? Do they have to wait another three months (average)? If you shift to a second employer (new contract) are your family discluded from the region for another 3 months?

This is just for first time arrival . On the second year when everyone has their own Iqama it is just a case of 'straightforward' renewal for everyone . No need to leave the country .

nonthaburi Dec 23rd 2012 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 10447003)
@Scot47, so basically it's down to bureaucratic competency of the employer then, not any obscure government rules. There's marriage on the cards down the line, so I'll be feeling out my employers as to how they can manage it when the time comes.

That sounds about right to me , having just done it myself . It could have been done a lot quicker with me if they had done my Iqama quicker ( 7 weeks ) . I only got it the week before Eid , by which time there was no point starting off my wife's paperwork because everything was shut .

Really , my Iqama taking as long as it did was the main reason that it took as long as it did . Getting the yellow piece of paper was a day at the ministry and my wife got the visa in BKK about 10 days after that.