Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Move family to Riyadh?

Move family to Riyadh?

Old Aug 13th 2009, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

advfam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move family to Riyadh?

My husband is contemplating a job move to Riyadh, and I was wondering what the current "safety" climate is like there. Does it make sense for us to move our family there, including two young children? My husband has worked all over the Middle East, including KSA, and we have lived in Egypt previously (yes, very different from KSA). I fully understand the constraints on women in Riyadh but the job is for about a year and I believe I can put up with it. However, I am more concerned from a safety point of view. We would be living on a compound but I am not sure which one.

Thank you for any advice...!
Old Aug 14th 2009, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Danajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really nice
Default Re: Move family to Riyadh?

Hi I'm new to Riyadh myself - and probably others will be of more benefit. My first impressions have been good regarding KSA, in particular Riyadh. I feel safe walking on the streets, the Saudi locals are friendly - I don't think there's too much to fear coming here. I've seen some of the compounds - you'll have a good time there - just make sure you get in one - as thats the biggest problem you'll face.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the response. Do you have children? We're just wondering how many expat families with children are there, especially at a time with the US Embassy is an unaccompanied post and won't let their own diplomats take their children there. Makes us wonder about the safety of non-diplomat US children.

Thanks again - we're just trying to put the pieces together and make a decision.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Danajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really nice

Hi - no I don't have children - but talking to fellow British/US workers and seeing the compounds themselves - there's a lot of families over here. In fact I'd say 90% of people who live in compounds are made up mum/dad and two kids and by all accounts have a good family life. A lot of the compounds are very close to the schools. The compounds themselves are very well guarded - but a comment from one work colleague a few days ago speaks volumes 'none of us in the compounds really understands why there is so much security these days'. I'm trying to find a place on a compound myself - but I'm also looking for accommodation outside the compounds as I feel safe here.

Hopefully you'll get some more response from other expats who've been here longer - they might give you some more information on life here and how safe it is - but please get in touch if you still have questions - happy to help if I can.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

monkieie is an unknown quantity at this point

In the six weeks that I've been to Riyadh I haven't for a second felt any animosity towards foreigners. Indeed, I have if anything only encountered friendly people here - even the bureaucratic customs guys when I wanted to pick up my air freight from customs were friendly throughout the day (!!) that it took. How old are your kids? My wife will be flying over here in about a week's time and we are having our first-born over here (date in December) and I haven't for a minute got the least worry about the situation.

As has already been mentioned - just make sure that you get a compound. With that, life will be easy.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the responses. Of course, we *want* this to work out for us, b/c as with most others there, we're mainly doing it for the high pay right now. Our kids are 6 and 2. And when my husband worked in Riyadh in the past (3 different times - all for his private company), he stayed on a compound (Kingdom City, I think). He's not sure if they still have the villas there are not but we were led to believe so. If we decide to pursue it, we'll definitely need to find out about that.

Keep the replies coming! We'd love any more advice...
Old Aug 14th 2009, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Update: just found out that this would be an unaccompanied position, meaning the kids and I could not go. So now my question is this: is it possible (read: permitted under KSA law) for me and the kids to live in Jeddah while my husband is in Riyadh? This would be simpler than us living in a neighboring country, but just curious about the logistics. We're also not certain if his company would sponsor our visas and other legalities if his position is "unaccompanied". In that case, we'd be on our own to arrange it all, either in Jeddah or elsewhere.

Any advice?
Old Aug 15th 2009, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

monkieie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by advfam
Update: just found out that this would be an unaccompanied position, meaning the kids and I could not go. So now my question is this: is it possible (read: permitted under KSA law) for me and the kids to live in Jeddah while my husband is in Riyadh? This would be simpler than us living in a neighboring country, but just curious about the logistics. We're also not certain if his company would sponsor our visas and other legalities if his position is "unaccompanied". In that case, we'd be on our own to arrange it all, either in Jeddah or elsewhere.

Any advice?
If your hubbie's contract is as a 'single' then the chances are extremely slim that you'll be able to stay permanently. You'll be able to get a visiter's visa but when it comes to your Iqama (ie. residency) then I doubt very much that you'll be able to be sponsered. Although I'm not 100% sure on this point - I'm sure that others will be able to correct me here. To be honest though, do you really want to live in KSA seperated from your husband? You have to consider that as a woman you are totally dependant on your husband in the day-to-day things and if you aren't able to live with him, I don't think it's a good idea, even if it was possible.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

rdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nice

Originally Posted by advfam

Any advice?
Hi
If your husband is on a single visa, you can get a visit visa-their validity is between 1-3mnths, and extendable at the authorities discretion. If your husband gets a business visa, then u cannot obtain a visit visa-ur best bet is then is if his company can arrabge you a business visa too-highly unlikely if u have 2 kids in tow.
I suggest yr husband pushes for a family visa-else I would say no. Else it is perfectly safe-we are on a compound(2 kids 11 and 6) and all the usual facilities/services are available. Also get the company to secure accomodation on a compound-u definitely do not want to arrive here with 2 small ones and still searching.
Best of luck
Old Aug 15th 2009, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rdan0209
Hi
If your husband is on a single visa, you can get a visit visa-their validity is between 1-3mnths, and extendable at the authorities discretion. If your husband gets a business visa, then u cannot obtain a visit visa-ur best bet is then is if his company can arrabge you a business visa too-highly unlikely if u have 2 kids in tow.
I suggest yr husband pushes for a family visa-else I would say no. Else it is perfectly safe-we are on a compound(2 kids 11 and 6) and all the usual facilities/services are available. Also get the company to secure accomodation on a compound-u definitely do not want to arrive here with 2 small ones and still searching.
Best of luck
Thanks for the info. He would have housing in the DQ. I'm not sure if they'd allow him to live in a compound for this project or not, much less be responsible for a wife and kids, too, if they consider Riyadh an "unaccompanied" post in regards to their own employees. We still have alot of info yet to find out. At this point, his offer is not a done deal so it all could be a moot point, but I thought I would try to sort this out ahead of time.

You all have given us alot to think about - thanks!
Old Aug 29th 2009, 3:16 am
Just Joined

saudi36 is an unknown quantity at this point

advfam,,, u r welcome in Saudi Arabia with your family and i hope you have good time.