British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Move to Dubai, living costs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/move-dubai-living-costs-168403/)

tonyroberts Jul 29th 2003 9:24 am

Move to Dubai, living costs

Hi All,

I am planning a move to Dubai, for at least three years, perhaps permanent, to work in the real estate business.

I live a pretty good life in Spain, and would not wish to drop standards.

What is cost of a nice furnished apartment, two beds in Dubai Creek area, good views, pool, gym if possible.

Also Unfurnished.

Please also any advice on average weekly cost of living, car purcase etc.

Tony

chorattil Jul 31st 2003 3:02 am

living

rite...

good apartment - budget 10k (dh 60k), for a nice apartment with pool & gym. About 80 should get you a 'villa' in mirdiff.... but your company should provide accomodation and ELECTRICITY at a very minimum...

Only expenses are the raz - about 2-3 quid a pint at a bar, and taxis (about three quid). Movies are not cheap now, same as the UK.

Cars run on toilet paper - you can pick up a 97 BMW Z3 for about dh. 40k, say 6.5 grand - or a good 99 Mitsubishi Pajero for the same. Be warned that 4x4's have nonexistant resale value - the only things that sell are Boxsters, SLKs and Z3s to protect your investment.

Food is dirst cheap, about 40p for a shawarma (kebab), and perhaps 8 quid for a meal at a four star hotel.

Basically if you get about Dh. 10-12k a month PLUS accomodation (or Dh. 18k without) you'll be laughing...

lived in dubai 20 years... 1980 to 2000... shud you need any advice feel free to call me on 44-208-880-1351.

cheers, george

tonyroberts Jul 31st 2003 9:47 am

Dear George,

Thanks for info, which was very helpful.

I am going into partnership with a local so I am not being paid. I am starting a business which is unlikely to earn income for three months, so I wanted to know what my out goings will be to set myself up in an apartment, furnished short term initially, later un furnished long term, buy a car, live eat etc for three to six months.

I have been to Dubai many times, but my impression, although fantastic, has been unrealistic. Short visits staying in first class hotels, first class restaurants, limousines etc.

I wanted to get an impression of what life is like to live there, costs of shopping, going out, playing golf etc.

Thanks again, if you have any other thoughts or advice I would be very grateful.

Tony

tonyroberts Jul 31st 2003 11:43 am

Dear George and any other reader,

Interesting about the sports cars, is insurance easy, a Porsche or a BMW would be fun, but here impossible to insure, how about there.

Another question.

I will want to have a really first class lap top, together with flat screen keyboard etc., to converts it to a desk top for home use, also a really good TZ and home cinema system, should I buy in Dubai or order in England tax free and ship.

Also what are the pros and cons of renting furnished or unfurnished, as you know I want a luxury 2/3 bed near Dubai Creek.

Thanks again, look forward to help and advice from all readers

Tony:)

chorattil Jul 31st 2003 6:19 pm

Tony,

I had a Merc SLK in Dubai, annual insurance was about 300 quid - my cheapest UK quote for the same car was close to 2 grand... so go figure - though I have heard things have changed.
I actually had a couple of questions about spain - do you have an email address? I'm [email protected].

Home cinema system - Dubai. NO competition. YOu will also get an international warranty and region free player, which are hard to come by in the UK.

Rent furnished initially I reckon, though not sure of price differential.

I'm actually a techhie by profession. Dubai is no longer the best place to buy computers, but is still in a different league from the UK.

Otherwise, go to Dubai and get a known brand - they key is to shop around and bargain like mad. The two computer discritcts are Bur Dubai - find "Quality computers" and walk down that road in any direction - dubai equivalent of tottenham court road:-) and also Computer Plaza - a computer only shopping mall! Dont spend too much on it coz laptops get obsolete overnight.

No going into a laptop buying guide here, but try computers.com
There are basically two kinds of laptops - ultralights and desktop replacements. Personally, I would go with an ultralight, and have a SEPARATE keyboard, mouse and even monitor for home use - so it's like a desktop.

Cheers, George

tonyroberts Jul 31st 2003 10:38 pm

Dear George,

Thanks for this, Mercedes here I come!

I have written to you separately as well, anything you need to know on Spain drop me a line [email protected]

Best wishes

Tony

[email protected] Sep 19th 2003 2:04 pm

Re: living

Originally posted by chorattil
rite...

good apartment - budget 10k (dh 60k), for a nice apartment with pool & gym. About 80 should get you a 'villa' in mirdiff.... but your company should provide accomodation and ELECTRICITY at a very minimum...

Only expenses are the raz - about 2-3 quid a pint at a bar, and taxis (about three quid). Movies are not cheap now, same as the UK.

Cars run on toilet paper - you can pick up a 97 BMW Z3 for about dh. 40k, say 6.5 grand - or a good 99 Mitsubishi Pajero for the same. Be warned that 4x4's have nonexistant resale value - the only things that sell are Boxsters, SLKs and Z3s to protect your investment.

Food is dirst cheap, about 40p for a shawarma (kebab), and perhaps 8 quid for a meal at a four star hotel.

Basically if you get about Dh. 10-12k a month PLUS accomodation (or Dh. 18k without) you'll be laughing...

lived in dubai 20 years... 1980 to 2000... shud you need any advice feel free to call me on 44-208-880-1351.

cheers, george

[email protected] Sep 19th 2003 2:10 pm

Hey George

Looks like I may be moving to Dubai pretty soon if I can get a package negotiated. I am struggling to get a handle on what I should be asking for in the way of Salary and benefits etc... I have a wife and 2 daughters (and a few grey hairs) of 4 months and 4 years. I would be looking at renting a 3 bedroom villa in a "nice" compound. Education and Medical cover is essentail and obviously the normal things like cars and insurance and some disposable income for long wekend and vacations etc... I am a Systems Engineer with an American Software company and will be moving to Dubai with the same company. They have indicated that there will be no expat package and as such I will be paying rent, end everything mentioned above personally. How much money do I need on a monthly basis to live well?
Looking forward to some replies.

Cheers

[email protected] Sep 19th 2003 2:18 pm

Hey George

Looks like I may be moving to Dubai pretty soon if I can get a package negotiated. I am struggling to get a handle on what I should be asking for in the way of Salary and benefits etc... I have a wife and 2 daughters (and a few grey hairs) of 4 months and 4 years. I would be looking at renting a 3 bedroom villa in a "nice" compound. Education and Medical cover is essentail and obviously the normal things like cars and insurance and some disposable income for long wekend and vacations etc... I am a Systems Engineer with an American Software company and will be moving to Dubai with the same company. They have indicated that there will be no expat package and as such I will be paying rent, end everything mentioned above personally. How much money do I need on a monthly basis to live well?
Looking forward to some replies.

Cheers