Move to Dammam?

Old Feb 4th 2013, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

red_99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move to Dammam?

Hi All,

I am considering a move to Dammam for teaching and have a few questions, if any one can help that would be great!

Firstly, I intend (or hope) to bring my family (wife and 16 month old son). Is this a good idea? By which I mean will they have a relatively "normal" life? I know living on a compound is a lot more desirable then living off of one! Also, my wife is a newly qualified teacher and would she be able to work, maybe even on supply at an international school? Would she have to get seperate sponsorship for a working visa? Ideally, she would love to stay home with our son but also she doesn't want a two year hole in her C.V. when she starts applying for jobs in a couple of years.

Secondly, are there plenty of daycare facilities on compounds? Do you have to live on a specific compund to use the daycare options there?

I have lived in several different countries up to now, just how different/difficult is life in Saudi compared to other Asian or ME countries?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Old Feb 4th 2013, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Dammam?

EVERYTHING depends on who yopur employer is. When going to KSA you MUST choose your new masters with care !

Wife may have problems working with no work permit. Schools are much toughr on this than they used to be. Min of Ed and Min of Int are continually pressurising all schools to take on local teachers.

Is your employer providing accommodation ? Or an allowance ?
Old Feb 4th 2013, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Hi Scot47

Employer is providing accommodation, though not sure if it is on a compound or not. I still obviously have to finalize a lot of details as I am in very peliminary stages of working out whether or not this would be a good move for us or not. How about the possibility of wife being sponsored independently for work? Have you heard of this being done before?

p.s. If you worked KFUPM previously I think you may have worked with my dad!
Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Contact BISAK in Khobar re a job for your wife. Also ISG in Dammam. (International Schools Group) British Council in Khobar also have a teaching operation for women.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info!