British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Motor Car Servicing (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/motor-car-servicing-732425/)

mentalist Sep 15th 2011 5:33 am

Motor Car Servicing

Can anybody suggest a place in Dubai that could service my Jeep Cherokee for a reasonable price? As its a 2004/5 model and has a depreciated value of under 25K, it seems daft paying the franchise dealership's extortionate prices. Last time they gave me a list of recommended works totalling well over 12K on top of the 2.5K charged for the work actually completed.

Millsyisland Sep 15th 2011 8:24 am

Re: Motor Car Servicing

Sorry to hijack this thread, but if anyone also knows of anywhere in Abu Dhabi that could fix a Saab with a coolant leak (hopefully just a hose), please let me know.

The Saab dealership is in Dubai and I don't want to take it there, particularly because I can't drive it with such a leak so will have to get it transported. If I can find somewhere local I may take the risk.....

Millhouse Sep 15th 2011 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Millsyisland (Post 9622454)
Sorry to hijack this thread, but if anyone also knows of anywhere in Abu Dhabi that could fix a Saab with a coolant leak (hopefully just a hose), please let me know.

The Saab dealership is in Dubai and I don't want to take it there, particularly because I can't drive it with such a leak so will have to get it transported. If I can find somewhere local I may take the risk.....

I'm being kind today:

- Abu Dhabi: Try the Bosch center in Musaffa. They were OK and cheaper than Mitsubishi for me. In Dubai these guys are a rip off.

- Jeep/Dubai - Try Dynatrade or AAA service center. OR, if you are feeling really cheap try Launch Auto.

Bahtatboy Sep 15th 2011 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Millsyisland (Post 9622454)

I'd drain off the coolant, chuck the Saab, then look for something decent to put the coolant in.

Millhouse Sep 15th 2011 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9622522)
I'd drain off the coolant, chuck the Saab, then look for something decent to put the coolant in.

If I found myself owning a Saab here I think I'd drink the coolant. :rofl:

Surely a Saab is built for -15oC not +45oC...

Millsyisland Sep 15th 2011 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9622522)

It's a second car anyway so seriously considering driving it to Musaffah, dumping it at one of the scrap merchants, taking the plates off and just registering it as scrapped.......

Millsyisland Sep 15th 2011 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9622518)
I'm being kind today:

- Abu Dhabi: Try the Bosch center in Musaffa. They were OK and cheaper than Mitsubishi for me. In Dubai these guys are a rip off.

- Jeep/Dubai - Try Dynatrade or AAA service center. OR, if you are feeling really cheap try Launch Auto.

Thanks for this - might give them a go (if I decide against the scrapping option)....

Blue Cat Sep 16th 2011 1:06 am

Icon Autos :)

Eeyore Sep 17th 2011 8:16 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 9622216)
Can anybody suggest a place in Dubai that could service my Jeep Cherokee for a reasonable price?

We usually go to AAA in Al Quoz. We've been to Icon once as well, which has a similarly good reputation, but AAA is just nearer.

Only downside is that the independent places all source their parts from the official dealerships, so you're still paying the massive dealer markups on parts. Try and buy your parts online from the USA if you can afford to wait while they're shipped, you'll save a f***ing fortune. Any independent place will fit them for you.

Tillybean Sep 19th 2011 9:35 am

Ramy Trading in Mussafah may have the parts - speak with Anush 0506518778. Found them to be more competitive on price that Icon.

For orders from the States, watch out for shipping prices and also customs duty. We use Quadratec mainly for parts etc.

Eeyore Sep 19th 2011 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Tillybean (Post 9629670)
For orders from the States, watch out for shipping prices and also customs duty

The dealer markups are so huge that you're usually making a big saving even after shipping. Don't think I've ever paid customs duty on car parts, but even if you do get hit for it, same deal.

The exception is really heavy parts, where the part itself might cost less than half what the dealer will charge, but the shipping will be the killer. In those cases it's often not worth the wait for shipping when you can get it immediately from the dealer for not much more.

Tillybean Sep 20th 2011 5:58 am

Have friends in the 4x4 club who have pretty much imported most of their car parts - from small bits and bobs, to bumpers, transmissions, lift kits etc. They have paid duty on the import and the shipping costs can vary. Usually we do a bulk order and then sea freight it over as this works out to be the cheapest option.

Quadratec are a good option and we have always found them to be reliable. They will let you have the shipping options so you can decide on how quickly you want the part and how much you are willing to pay.

To be honest, when I wanted new tyres and rims, I shopped around here first - Ramy Trading, Icon, ARB, WM etc - and then price compared to the US. For the convenience of it, and the quickness, I used Ramy and Icon.