Mosque volumes

Old Jan 25th 2009, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Mischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really nice
Default Mosque volumes

Over the last week or so my local mosque seems to have turned up its volume several notches and I was wondering if it's the same everywhere? I love the sound of the prayer calls but recently it's been considerably louder - makes me jump out of my skin every morning (along with the baby in the apartment next door...) and drowns out the tv in the evening!!

I understand that the point is that everyone can hear it but is there a limit to the noise levels they are permitted to reach? I know in Dubai there is a set noise limit and a number you can call to get it checked - is there anything similar in AD? Alternatively where can I get hold of some super-strength ear plugs as I am torn between sleep deprivation and anti-socially early nights to get enough sleep! I can usually sleep through anything - but am seriously starting to lose the plot with all these 5.40am starts... the guy on the rota at the moment is a real screamer as well so not even the nice melodic sound - just shouting....

Seriously, is it just me or is anyone else suffering??
Old Jan 25th 2009, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mosque volumes

Originally Posted by Mischief Queen
Over the last week or so my local mosque seems to have turned up its volume several notches and I was wondering if it's the same everywhere? I love the sound of the prayer calls but recently it's been considerably louder - makes me jump out of my skin every morning (along with the baby in the apartment next door...) and drowns out the tv in the evening!!

I understand that the point is that everyone can hear it but is there a limit to the noise levels they are permitted to reach? I know in Dubai there is a set noise limit and a number you can call to get it checked - is there anything similar in AD? Alternatively where can I get hold of some super-strength ear plugs as I am torn between sleep deprivation and anti-socially early nights to get enough sleep! I can usually sleep through anything - but am seriously starting to lose the plot with all these 5.40am starts... the guy on the rota at the moment is a real screamer as well so not even the nice melodic sound - just shouting....

AD, like Dubai, must be going through a phase of Islamicisation..........

In Dubai there is not the slightest doubt that the prayers in, say, MOTE (which were originally non-existent, then quiet) are much louder now.

But it's not just mosques - in one or two of the downtown areas (Bastakiya, Karama) a few of the smaller businesses (one or two tailors and sweat shops in particular) have started to close for the main evening prayer, Saudi style. Just one or two so far, but............

It will carry on I suspect................

It would be interesting to read/hear the response you get if you make a formal complaint.................
Old Jan 25th 2009, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

saleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nicesaleca is just really nice

You are not imagining. I have 3 around me in close proximity. They were all turned up a few months ago and now they are competing!!!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Mischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Dean
AD, like Dubai, must be going through a phase of Islamicisation..........

In Dubai there is not the slightest doubt that the prayers in, say, MOTE (which were originally non-existent, then quiet) are much louder now.

But it's not just mosques - in one or two of the downtown areas (Bastakiya, Karama) a few of the smaller businesses (one or two tailors and sweat shops in particular) have started to close for the main evening prayer, Saudi style. Just one or two so far, but............

It will carry on I suspect................

It would be interesting to read/hear the response you get if you make a formal complaint.................
Ha ha... wouldn't dare make a formal complaint - esp as I work for a semi govt co!! In Dubai they published a number to call if you wanted to get your mosque volumes checked to make sure they were inside specified limits so made it easier as it wasn't so much a complaint as asking for it to be checked... not even sure if they have a set level in AD! I have just been out and purchased earplugs and will be dosing myself up with Sauv.Blanc to see if that helps!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 4:31 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Agreed - the volume has definately increased.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 6:32 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

3 months ago? November, hey... like when the fertiliser started hitting the fan. Well, everyone needs a bit of extra help in this day and age!
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

g18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to all

Walked by one just now as it started broadcasting and nearly blew my left ear drum out. Deffo louder than used to be.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:11 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

am still getting used to it here in the magic kingdom. the volumes are different but the funny thing is the competing nature of it. maghrib prayer is just a cacophony of voices

does anyone know of the myth/urban legend/fact that it is law in the magic kingdom that a place of residence must be within 200metres of a mosque?
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:19 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute

Walked by one just now as it started broadcasting and nearly blew my left ear drum out. Deffo louder than used to be.

Wouldn't it be great to start playing some drum and bass through them turned up speakers, get everybody dancing...

That we make me go to Mosque more often than never.

Bison
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:02 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

aye the one next to me at mirdif and the one at work in jumeirah are MILES louder.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

highways is an unknown quantity at this point

does anyone know of the myth/urban legend/fact that it is law in the magic kingdom that a place of residence must be within 200metres of a mosque?[/QUOTE]

I hope the same law is applied here in the UK so that I don't have to drive to get to the mosque
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

highways is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spugsy
aye the one next to me at mirdif and the one at work in jumeirah are MILES louder.
I will probably try to move to Mirdif then to make sure I wake up for Fajr prayer
Old Jan 26th 2009, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

seraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Spugsy

Sorry Spugsy but the one in Al Barsha is way LOUDER than yours.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

g18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to allg18c is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bison

Wouldn't it be great to start playing some drum and bass through them turned up speakers, get everybody dancing...

That we make me go to Mosque more often than never.

Bison
Dont think the tanoys dynamic range is low enough for bass, however a couple of 15" subs up in the towers should do the trick
Old Jan 26th 2009, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

We were having this exact conversation recently -- definitely louder than ever in KCA and the geezer cannot sing....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.