British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Mortgage Calculators (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/mortgage-calculators-446308/)

Jeeper May 1st 2007 5:30 am

Mortgage Calculators

Anyone know of a good bank website for the UAE that has decent mortgage calculators and would give some idea of a pre-approval amount.

No i'm not buying an apartment.

...and probably not a villa either.

Blue Cat May 1st 2007 6:14 am

Re: Mortgage Calculators

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 4721503)
Anyone know of a good bank website for the UAE that has decent mortgage calculators and would give some idea of a pre-approval amount.

good god what sort of car are you getting if you are needing a mortgage against it!

Miss Eck May 1st 2007 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4721585)
good god what sort of car are you getting if you are needing a mortgage against it!

I thought it was an expensive camel :lol:

W10 May 1st 2007 6:21 am

You're going to buy that plane then?

Jeeper May 1st 2007 6:24 am

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 4721598)
You're going to buy that plane then?

Just curious to see what I could buy, what repayments would be etc etc
The NZD is killing me and I don't see it abating for a while so might 'might' by an off-plan villa here in the meantime.

I would soooo love a plane though.

W10 May 1st 2007 6:26 am

**** it...buy a plane.

It never did Payne Stewart any harm...

Autonomy May 1st 2007 6:29 am

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 4721617)
**** it...buy a plane.

It never did Payne Stewart any harm...

... and John Denver wrote a song about them... oh.

Blue Cat May 1st 2007 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 4721607)
The NZD is killing me and I don't see it abating for a while so might 'might' by an off-plan villa here in the meantime.

I would soooo love a plane though.

I hope someone comes up with a calculator as I would like to see what we could afford, probably a maids room !! :rofl:

Fairydust May 1st 2007 7:04 am

There was a double page article I read somewhere in the last 2 weeks was either Emirates today or that Xpress paper which had was comparing renting to buying and gave the monthly repayments for different value properties. Might be worth doing an on-line search to see if you can find it

Autonomy May 1st 2007 7:11 am

http://www.tamweel.ae/en/ repayment calculator on the home page - don't think you'll find one that will say if you are approved or not - that depends on the sighting of the moon and the 4 camels of the apocolpse.

Jammy_Dodgers May 1st 2007 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 4721787)
http://www.tamweel.ae/en/ repayment calculator on the home page - don't think you'll find one that will say if you are approved or not - that depends on the sighting of the moon and the 4 camels of the apocolpse.

LOL...karma sent

IndieG May 1st 2007 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 4721607)

Are you hoping for a Dirham revaluation - otherwise how is an investment in Dubai property going to help you hedge against the falling US dollar?

By the way, please don't just look at mortgage payments in isolation - add to it all the incidental costs - particularly maintenance (24k p.a. for a 3 bed apartment at the Green Community - with claims by UP that they're subsidising maintenance costs by 25%!!!) and DEWA/municipality taxes.

Jeeper May 1st 2007 8:26 am

Originally Posted by IndieGirl (Post 4721991)
Are you hoping for a Dirham revaluation - otherwise how is an investment in Dubai property going to help you hedge against the falling US dollar?

By the way, please don't just look at mortgage payments in isolation - add to it all the incidental costs - particularly maintenance (24k p.a. for a 3 bed apartment at the Green Community - with claims by UP that they're subsidising maintenance costs by 25%!!!) and DEWA/municipality taxes.

It's not hedging - it's investing in the meantime. Buying here you're effectively buying and investing in USD (unless they did revalue the dirham)
If I buy and sell in a couple of years hopefully the USD would be a bit stronger by then - and if not i'm no worse off and still have the same problem. But i can't sit here with savings in USD and do nothing with it. and I can't bear sending it home worth about 20-30% less than it should be (ideally).
You get what i mean?

IndieG May 1st 2007 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 4722017)
It's not hedging - it's investing in the meantime. Buying here you're effectively buying and investing in USD (unless they did revalue the dirham)
If I buy and sell in a couple of years hopefully the USD would be a bit stronger by then - and if not i'm no worse off and still have the same problem. But i can't sit here with savings in USD and do nothing with it. and I can't bear sending it home worth about 20-30% less than it should be (ideally).
You get what i mean?

There's a lot of data out coming this week - hopefully the dollar has bottomed out:unsure: It was a rude shock for me too.

But why property and that too at the peak? Why not stocks - unless ofcourse you're only diversifying and putting some into the property sector.

Norm_uk May 1st 2007 8:48 am

Can't say I do but we have a bunch of stuff on our website that might help:
http://www.holbornassets.com/financial_calculators.html

Feel free to PM if you need something more specific.

Norm