Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Monthly Budget for a Single Girl

Monthly Budget for a Single Girl

Old May 20th 2005, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Kawgirl is on a distinguished road
Default Monthly Budget for a Single Girl

I have been reading this forum for about a month now and have found it to be full of great insights and advice. You guys seem to cut to the chase and tell it like it really is when it comes to life in Dubai. So let me ask you all a question. I, like many others coming to this forum, have been offered a job in Dubai. This one is with a start up company, service business, which involves a lot of driving 'in the suburbs' as the boss puts it. I need to know two things: a) will I be killed driving in the suburbs? I have been hearing some not so flattering things about the drivers there...and b) I have been offered 12,250 dhs a month but NO other perks..so I have to find my own health insurance, apt, etc. I am single, no kids, and don't go out a lot. I know the question "is this enough" is sort of dumb, because it could me, "enough for what?" But basically, I'm not dragging my self all the way to Dubai just to scrimp and save. I can't seem to get a straight answer out of the 'boss' as to how much things cost so I can make a monthly budget. I have gotten no response from him on how much things like car insurance, health insurance, cable, DSL, etc cost. So if anyone has any advice or info, I would be ever so grateful!
Old May 20th 2005, 10:31 am
W10

Default Re: Monthly Budget for a Single Girl

Short answer. Yes thats enough. You'll be able to find a room in a shared apartment for 2-3k a month. A decent brand new car for 2.5k a month. Insurance is dirt cheap and based on a percentage of the car's value (up to 4% I think)

Don't know how much health is, cable is expensive but not frighteningly so.

Driving is pretty bad, but since I've got on the road it's less scary than it seems from the back of a taxi. It's ok in the suburbs.

As JD isn't around (I'm surprised a little alarm hasn't been triggered on his phone at the mention of 'single and girl' . I should make a token effort to try and sleep with you as well.

To impress you, I could take you for a spin in my Toyota Echo. The girlies literally wet themselves when I drive past in it. And valet parkers think they'd died and gone to heaven.

Last edited by W10; May 20th 2005 at 10:35 am.

Old May 20th 2005, 3:42 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Short answer. Yes thats enough. You'll be able to find a room in a shared apartment for 2-3k a month. A decent brand new car for 2.5k a month. Insurance is dirt cheap and based on a percentage of the car's value (up to 4% I think)

Don't know how much health is, cable is expensive but not frighteningly so.

Driving is pretty bad, but since I've got on the road it's less scary than it seems from the back of a taxi. It's ok in the suburbs.

As JD isn't around (I'm surprised a little alarm hasn't been triggered on his phone at the mention of 'single and girl' . I should make a token effort to try and sleep with you as well.

To impress you, I could take you for a spin in my Toyota Echo. The girlies literally wet themselves when I drive past in it. And valet parkers think they'd died and gone to heaven.

PMSL....................
Old May 20th 2005, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

To impress you, I could take you for a spin in my Toyota Echo. The girlies literally wet themselves when I drive past in it.
Is that with fear?
Old May 20th 2005, 4:37 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

How long did u say u'de been here?
Old May 20th 2005, 4:39 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kawgirl
I have been reading this forum for about a month now and have found it to be full of great insights and advice. You guys seem to cut to the chase and tell it like it really is when it comes to life in Dubai. So let me ask you all a question. I, like many others coming to this forum, have been offered a job in Dubai. This one is with a start up company, service business, which involves a lot of driving 'in the suburbs' as the boss puts it. I need to know two things: a) will I be killed driving in the suburbs? I have been hearing some not so flattering things about the drivers there...and b) I have been offered 12,250 dhs a month but NO other perks..so I have to find my own health insurance, apt, etc. I am single, no kids, and don't go out a lot. I know the question "is this enough" is sort of dumb, because it could me, "enough for what?" But basically, I'm not dragging my self all the way to Dubai just to scrimp and save. I can't seem to get a straight answer out of the 'boss' as to how much things cost so I can make a monthly budget. I have gotten no response from him on how much things like car insurance, health insurance, cable, DSL, etc cost. So if anyone has any advice or info, I would be ever so grateful!
In my humble opinion, thats not nearly enough dosh to survive here. The NO perks bit is a bit scary. You also have the added cost of a bodygaurd to keep the purvs such as W10 away!!!! not to mention The Artful Dodger
Old May 21st 2005, 4:07 am
W10

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Is that with fear?
Usually with pure sexual pleasure. I have that effect on people and parrots.

Old May 21st 2005, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Usually with pure sexual pleasure. I have that effect on people and parrots.

As long as you don't forget which is which and call the woman "Polly".
Old May 21st 2005, 4:43 pm
Restless soul

Happiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kawgirl

It depends on the lifestyle you have now and how much it would cost to maintain it here and what you are giving up...to some people that is a fair amount to live on and to others very little. You could try last minute negotiations with your boss to get some more perks for yourself...anyway...being a single person with no commitments means that you can always give it a shot...what have you got to lose?...It's an opportunity see how it goes, you can always go back right?!
Old May 22nd 2005, 5:19 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for the delay in responding,

As W10 has rightly mentioned, if you are attractive as well as single in Dubai..Things are much cheaper.

For example, Guys will want to take you out for dinner to wine and dine you (BTW...whats your preference in food?...I can book the table for when you arrive)

Same goes for drinks, there numerous promotions in clubs, offering girls free drinks.
Failing that,guys will try to buy them for you anyway in the attempt you get you into bed.
Tip: If a guy offers to buy you a drink, ask for the cash instead..this will substancially increase your monthly budget.
Old May 22nd 2005, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Tip: If a guy offers to buy you a drink, ask for the cash instead..this will substancially increase your monthly budget.
Snort...
Old May 22nd 2005, 12:36 pm

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
As long as you don't forget which is which and call the woman "Polly".
Or alternatively get a girlfirend called Polly and problems solved....
Old May 22nd 2005, 12:44 pm
W10

I went out with a girl called Polly once. She was pretty, but a little tight.

Old May 22nd 2005, 12:56 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
I went out with a girl called Polly once. She was pretty, but a little tight.
Tres Bon
Old May 22nd 2005, 1:01 pm
W10

I used to write the odd gag for Soccer AM. Does it show?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.