British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Money talks... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/money-talks-602880/)

bimcnorth Apr 10th 2009 3:25 pm

Money talks...

The UK's business secretary Peter Mandelson on Wednesday night criticised "doom laden" reports about Dubai in the UK press during a speech in the emirate.

"I have little time or patience for the rather doom laden judgments that some wish to make about Dubai," he said.

Dubai had one of the best business environments in the region, thanks to its openness, transparency and dependable legal system, added Mandelson.

There were improvements that could be made to its legal system, as was the case in the UK, he said during a speech to the British Business Group.

"Inevitably Dubai has to see where it can reform, where it can improve and make it an even better place to do business in the future."

The UK had a very good position in the UAE economy but faced growing competition from other countries, he said.

In response, every UK business in the UAE had to "sharpen up its act".

He said the UK government was firmly behind UK business in the country and he did not mind raising issues on their behalf to the UAE government.

He said he was reassured by the UAE government that fresh liquidity would be pushed through the supply chain to enable UK contractors to know with clarity and certainty that outstanding bills would be met.

The UK is the biggest provider of foreign direct investment to the UAE, according to the latest figures. A total of 45 percent of UK exports to the region were to the UAE.

This got absolutely nothing to do with the facts that the french and germans are moving in on UAE in a big way..I presume :unsure:

The Dean Apr 10th 2009 3:55 pm

Re: Money talks...

Originally Posted by bimcnorth (Post 7469579)
The UK's business secretary Peter Mandelson on Wednesday night criticised "doom laden" reports about Dubai in the UK press during a speech in the emirate.

"I have little time or patience for the rather doom laden judgments that some wish to make about Dubai," he said.

Dubai had one of the best business environments in the region, thanks to its openness, transparency and dependable legal system, added Mandelson.

There were improvements that could be made to its legal system, as was the case in the UK, he said during a speech to the British Business Group.

"Inevitably Dubai has to see where it can reform, where it can improve and make it an even better place to do business in the future."

The UK had a very good position in the UAE economy but faced growing competition from other countries, he said.

In response, every UK business in the UAE had to "sharpen up its act".

He said the UK government was firmly behind UK business in the country and he did not mind raising issues on their behalf to the UAE government.

He said he was reassured by the UAE government that fresh liquidity would be pushed through the supply chain to enable UK contractors to know with clarity and certainty that outstanding bills would be met.

The UK is the biggest provider of foreign direct investment to the UAE, according to the latest figures. A total of 45 percent of UK exports to the region were to the UAE.

This got absolutely nothing to do with the facts that the french and germans are moving in on UAE in a big way..I presume :unsure:

When Mandelson speaks, he sometimes tells lies.........

........... you can usually tell though - it's when his lips are moving.........

Confucius Apr 10th 2009 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7469627)
When Mandelson speaks, he sometimes tells lies.........

........... you can usually tell though - it's when his lips are moving.........

A very haphazard and liberal use of dots.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............

The Dean Apr 10th 2009 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 7469734)
A very haphazard and liberal use of dots.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............

You can tell when I'm telling the truth.............

............. my posts include dots............

MacScot Apr 10th 2009 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 7469734)

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7469837)
You can tell when I'm telling the truth.............

............. my posts include dots............

The use of multiple consecutive ellipses with occasional breaks means that you doubt your sexuality ;)

soukie Apr 10th 2009 6:20 pm

He must have made that speech before he begged for money!!
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d6503902-2...44feabdc0.html

bimcnorth Apr 10th 2009 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 7469864)
He must have made that speech before he begged for money!!
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d6503902-2...44feabdc0.html

It was afterwards actually...