British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   MoNEY mONEY mONEY!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/money-money-money-447321/)

nannyk May 4th 2007 9:45 am

MoNEY mONEY mONEY!!

Hi all :)

Not long now untill hubby leaves [ next sat ] theres been a hold upo with document from Italy he needs to renew passport.....blah blah blah........ Anyway I have been working out our finances and what we still need to transfer here each month to pay things, mortgage, loan, etc..... My question is, what is a decent amount of money to live on just to buy food shopping and eat out a couple of times a week, how much a month would we need to do that? Thankyou, thankyou thankyou............:)

Blue Cat May 4th 2007 9:47 am

Re: MoNEY mONEY mONEY!!

Originally Posted by nannyk (Post 4736417)

Hi all :)

Not long now untill hubby leaves [ next sat ] theres been a hold upo with document from Italy he needs to renew passport.....blah blah blah........ Anyway I have been working out our finances and what we still need to transfer here each month to pay things, mortgage, loan, etc..... My question is, what is a decent amount of money to live on just to buy food shopping and eat out a couple of times a week, how much a month would we need to do that? Thankyou, thankyou thankyou............:)

depends really - ours sort of varies. I would say 6000 dhs a month sometimes less sometimes more??? weekly shopping can vary too. Let's see what the other girls think.

Confucius May 4th 2007 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4736426)
depends really - ours sort of varies. I would say 6000 dhs a month sometimes less sometimes more??? weekly shopping can vary too. Let's see what the other girls think.

I need half that amount...But then again,I don't have a cat...

Blue Cat May 4th 2007 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 4736718)
I need half that amount...But then again,I don't have a cat...

I have three cats so that is what pushes it up! some months it will be alot less, it depends on how much spinneys manage to con me out of!

Madam Medusa May 4th 2007 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4736426)

geez, I wish I could live on 6,000 a month...and here's me trying to convince my hubbie I'm not an expensive commodity...:rolleyes:

MM, xx

Confucius May 4th 2007 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4736769)
I have three cats so that is what pushes it up! some months it will be alot less, it depends on how much spinneys manage to con me out of!

Depends how much your cats tend to stay out of the house...

nannyk May 4th 2007 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 4737013)
geez, I wish I could live on 6,000 a month...and here's me trying to convince my hubbie I'm not an expensive commodity...:rolleyes:

MM, xx

So are you saying it costs you alot more then? I mean the english pound equivalent is roughly 850£, which in my opinion is quite a fair bit to live on a month for food and eating out. And im told its not that expensive there for food shopping. Is it that it is so tempting to spend more??!! lol:rofl: :rofl:

MJC May 4th 2007 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by nannyk (Post 4737907)
So are you saying it costs you alot more then? I mean the english pound equivalent is roughly 850£, which in my opinion is quite a fair bit to live on a month for food and eating out. And im told its not that expensive there for food shopping. Is it that it is so tempting to spend more??!! lol:rofl: :rofl:

Don't you just love a troll?

Your sig gives you away.

nannyk May 4th 2007 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by MJC (Post 4738099)
Don't you just love a troll?

Your sig gives you away.

I don't get it?? Are you asking meif im fat?? well I don't think much of myself no, im trying to improve my body though

MJC May 4th 2007 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by nannyk (Post 4738108)
I don't get it?? Are you asking meif im fat?? well I don't think much of myself no, im trying to improve my body though

No I'm not as it goes, it's just remarkably similar to someone elses.

But on thinking about it, she'd be too pissed to type now.....

Jammy_Dodgers May 4th 2007 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by MJC (Post 4738122)
No I'm not as it goes, it's just remarkably similar to someone elses.

But on thinking about it, she'd be too pissed to type now.....

Well said

MJC May 4th 2007 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers (Post 4738310)
Well said

Don't you just love a dodgy council house education....

And before the lot of you jump down my throat, this ain't about you!

Madam Medusa May 5th 2007 3:43 am

Originally Posted by nannyk (Post 4737907)

yeah...but I have very expensive tastes, so ignore my advice, I'm not the average! ;)

MM, xx

Meow May 6th 2007 9:41 am

The amount is going to vary hugely depending on your tastes. How many are you feeding? Do you eat expensive foodstuffs, or are you more of an economiser? By eating out do you mean a pizza joint, a 'local' place or a classier restaurant?

It is possible to eat quite cheaply depending on where you shop and what you buy. Spinneys is nice, but Carrefour is cheaper, although it doesn't have a pork section. I rarely get to Choitrams as there isn't one near me, but that is also generally cheaper than Spinneys. Take advantage of offers (esp on fruit & vegetables), look at prices (some things are more expensive than UK) , consider seasonality.

My partner & I probably spend around Dhs400-500 on food & household items (not incl booze), but that doesn't include going out which can be anything from Dhs 1,000 to 3,000.

Blue Cat May 6th 2007 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 4743456)
The amount is going to vary hugely depending on your tastes. How many are you feeding? Do you eat expensive foodstuffs, or are you more of an economiser? By eating out do you mean a pizza joint, a 'local' place or a classier restaurant?

It is possible to eat quite cheaply depending on where you shop and what you buy. Spinneys is nice, but Carrefour is cheaper, although it doesn't have a pork section. I rarely get to Choitrams as there isn't one near me, but that is also generally cheaper than Spinneys. Take advantage of offers (esp on fruit & vegetables), look at prices (some things are more expensive than UK) , consider seasonality.

My partner & I probably spend around Dhs400-500 on food & household items (not incl booze), but that doesn't include going out which can be anything from Dhs 1,000 to 3,000.

I agree, a friend of mine spends way more than me but she has two sons, one a teenager who eats for England! she has to make up lunch boxes every day and lunch box stuff tends to be pricey. I have just done a food shop and it came to 460 Dhs, then I went to the organic place and spent another 150 on meat and other stuff that is on their daily specials. I can't cope with carrefour with a 3 year old and a pushchair even though it is quite a bit cheaper than Choitrams/Spinneys. We don't go out to the hotels, but eat out about 4 times a week, mainly at the country club which is pretty cheap.
BC