British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Money or Life - which to choose?? Suggestions Please!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/money-life-choose-suggestions-please-638777/)

commander Nov 5th 2009 8:21 am

Re: Money or Life - which to choose?? Suggestions Please!!

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8072705)
busy in the office today then ...

took me two seconds to google 'chose life trainspotting'

Kiara Nov 5th 2009 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8072705)
busy in the office today then ...

Intro lines from movie Trainspotting. Touche Blue Cat

To the Saudi supporters: you are right, I have not lived there

Norm_uk Nov 8th 2009 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8066631)
Just have respect for the money you are spending. I'm always amazed to see people spending 'only' 40Dh on a bottle of beer at the Intercon in AD as if it was nothing. 40Dh is 7 quid! People seem to think that 100Dh is a tenner, when it is nearer £20.

As for living in Saudi... for a single woman, this is a crazy idea. They are offering you lots of money as it's a shithole.

What will you be doing in AD that will require crazy hours?

I'm with you on this critical issue :thumbup:

There's no reason to spend AED40 on a bottle or glass of beer (unless the glass is 1litre and filled with hard to find beer).

I also find that most of the bars which do charge so much are not very good anyway and have incompetant staff. Some of the best bars in the UAE are the ones off the tourist and poser rader, where the booze is reasonable and the staff remember you after one visit...:thumbup:

N.

Grace O Malley Nov 9th 2009 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 8081274)
I'm with you on this critical issue :thumbup:

There's no reason to spend AED40 on a bottle or glass of beer (unless the glass is 1litre and filled with hard to find beer).

I also find that most of the bars which do charge so much are not very good anyway and have incompetant staff. Some of the best bars in the UAE are the ones off the tourist and poser rader, where the booze is reasonable and the staff remember you after one visit...:thumbup:

N.

which bars are they then.

Kiara Nov 12th 2009 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 8083257)
which bars are they then.

Abu Dhabi
49ers. Great steak, good drink price. Beware turns to hooker bar after 9:30pm
PJ O'Reilly's – C’mon Ms O’Malley, do I need to tell you where this is?
Hero’s Bar – Crowne Plaza. Great food and atmosphere, standard drink price, wait staff that actually speak English (Irish that is)

Dubai
Spend 1,000 AED or get a bottle from A&E and order home delivery Lebanese.

Sharjah
Sharjah Wanderers. Join the club, or pay to enter. Enjoy the facilities and extremely well priced meals and drinks.

kittycat1 Nov 14th 2009 7:12 am

Hi Movingtomideast,

I don't know if you have made your mind up yet so thought I'd chip in.

I'm early 30's single female, moved to Dubai 2 months a go so still very very new. I've never lived abroad before and thought it would be a lot easier than it has been. I was living in London before and had an amazing circle of friends, great social life, was self employed and loved my job. I essentially moved here for the money as the industry I am in was tough back in the UK at the moment.

I have found it really hard here- my first 3 weeks I just wanted to go home but am slowly settling in, and making friends, but its hard- alot harder than I had expected- and that is in Dubai! If you have any hesitations about taking the job in KSA dont do it as you will regret it immediately and end up leaving before your contract is finished 9 as in a week after you get there). How easy is it to have friends visit in ksa , as my friends coming to visit has kept me going!

I'm enjoying it now but it really does take some getting used to out here so just prepare yourself for a bit of a culture shock- and think very very strongly about KSA, personally I'd say follow your heart and trust your instincts!

Good luck

KC
xx

commander Nov 15th 2009 3:01 am

Originally Posted by Kiara (Post 8093182)
Abu Dhabi
49ers. Great steak, good drink price. Beware turns to hooker bar after 9:30pm

NEVER repeat NEVER eat where people go for a ****...NEVER

Millhouse Nov 15th 2009 3:31 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8099206)
NEVER repeat NEVER eat where people go for a ****...NEVER

Come on, the chicken fajitas in the Alley Palley are nice!

commander Nov 15th 2009 6:05 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8099230)
Come on, the chicken fajitas in the Alley Palley are nice!

sweet and sour?

Millhouse Nov 15th 2009 6:11 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8099282)
sweet and sour?

There is nothing sweet in that place!

Norm_uk Nov 15th 2009 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8068126)
Choose money and save for your old age when you are too old to enjoy life :blink:

...and need money to pay for medical care to keep a certain quality of life and dignity going right till the end...:huh:

N.

Basilito01 Nov 17th 2009 3:42 am

Hi,
I'm not sure if you made your decision yet. I have friends in both places, in Saudi and in Dubai. They are both married and have their husbands over there but they both love it... it was hard at first adjusting but there is a big expat community over there..and lots of social life. much better than what we have here in Sydney.. so it depends. if you go to a place like Aramco or any big hospital or school with lots of expats you will be fine in Saudi!

i just saw my friend yesterday, she's in Kaust and loves it and is making a mint.. kinda inspiring but i'd prefer Dubai. I'll see what happens I guess.

Good luck with your decision, dont' be afraid, just make sure there's lots of expats where you end up and you will make lots of new friends.:D

Bijilo123 Nov 17th 2009 8:28 am

Honestly you must choose life over money.

To commemorate the magnificant achievement of some European Lottery winners the TV (in Britain) interviewed some other multi millionire lottery winners who said that the money did not make them happy. Strangely though, they all seemed to be very happy indeed!

In conclusion you must choose money over life.