Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Money or Life - which to choose?? Suggestions Please!!

Money or Life - which to choose?? Suggestions Please!!

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

MovingToMidEast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Money or Life - which to choose?? Suggestions Please!!

I am literally going crazy trying to decide. I have two potential offers.

One is in Abu Dhabi. Will be agressive work hours but will have a lot of fun as its Abu Dhabi.

The other is at Aramco in Saudi. Definite work life balance but less to do from an entertainment standpoint. Money is better in Saudi due to it being a hardship post.

Not sure if I should choose Saudi so I can pay of my debt faster or live in AD where I know I will be having fun, where its more liberal, and definitely has more to offer.

I honestly am split both ways. My heart is with Abu Dhabi as I will have more fun (however not thrilled about the agressive work hours) but on the other hand it will be nice to earn the money in Saudi but I may shoot myself from boredom?

Any suggestions, ideas, anything as I am no longer sane as a result of not knowing which to choose

Last edited by MovingToMidEast; Nov 3rd 2009 at 6:39 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money or Life - which to choose?? Suggestions Please!!

Originally Posted by MovingToMidEast

One is in Abu Dhabi. Will be agressive work hours but will have a lot of fun as its Abu Dhabi.

The other is at Aramco in Saudi. Definite work life balance but less to do from an entertainment standpoint. Money is better in Saudi due to it being a hardship post.

Not sure if I should choose Saudi so I can pay of my debt faster or live in AD where I know I will be having fun, where its more liberal, and definitely has more to offer.

I honestly am split both ways. My heart is with Abu Dhabi as I will have more fun (however not thrilled about the agressive work hours) but on the other hand it will be nice to earn the money in Saudi but I may shoot myself from boredom?

Any suggestions, ideas, anything as I am no longer sane as a result of not knowing which to choose
Oh life def, but it depends on how much debt you have? How old you are? What you like doing etc etc and by the way make sure you investigate the company in Abu Dhabi well before you take the plunge

Abu Dhabi not cheap , hope you have got a generous housing allowance in the package

good luck
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:21 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

The Aramco camp is actually not too bad.

Obviously the division of SA you are working with will determine the initial group of people you meet, but there tends to be plenty happening if you are willing to go and find it...

I knocked back an offer from SA a few years ago, only due to the fact that I had already worked in KSA for 5 years with my current employer and really wanted a break from the place...
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

I am thirty, single, and female. I realize that Aramco caters to families and I guess I am concerned being single there. The offer in AD is actually decent and will be able to save some but Saudi will obviously be easier to do so.

ahhh so difficult! i hate that money does talk as I want to tell it to shut up!

Last edited by MovingToMidEast; Nov 3rd 2009 at 6:45 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

oh and i do enjoy nightlife and things of that nature, thats why AD seems more appealing but argh money...
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:58 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

oh and i do enjoy nightlife and things of that nature, thats why AD seems more appealing but argh money...
Aramco compound is not bad at all (more like a city), you can also head to Bahrain on weekend for R&R.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:12 am
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

As you say it depends on what is more important, clearing your debt or going out on the piss. It is more than likely that even with a good package in Abu Dhabi that you will leave with more debt than you came with unless you can restrain yourself, which by the sounds of it might be difficult seeing as you enjoy going out etc. In KSA you will get more money and to be honest there are less temptations to spend your cash on. Why not do KSA first and pay off your debt and then you can always move to AD or Dubai in the future?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes
As you say it depends on what is more important, clearing your debt or going out on the piss. It is more than likely that even with a good package in Abu Dhabi that you will leave with more debt than you came with unless you can restrain yourself, which by the sounds of it might be difficult seeing as you enjoy going out etc. In KSA you will get more money and to be honest there are less temptations to spend your cash on. Why not do KSA first and pay off your debt and then you can always move to AD or Dubai in the future?

good advice - i guess i can start off there and migrate over. i definitely value life over money but its nice to know of the possibility of clearing it.. but then the other side of me says life is short and i should do what makes me happiest...

but i should do the saudi thing from the logical side! i guess its a decision i only can make so i will see which part of me wins!!

Thanks all for the replies!!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:34 am
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

The point is how happy will you be with the weight of debt on your shoulders after a night out? Especially considering that if you lost your job and/or have debt here in the UAE that you can't pay off you could be put in jail until someone can find the funds to pay it off. It's definitely worth thinking about and maybe even reading a few of the debt threads on here to see how people who were getting "good packages" ended up fleeing the country or in the clink. The banks here are not flexible about payments, they merely freeze your account and launch a case against you.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:48 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Although I wouldn't personally describe Abu Dhabi as much of a fun place (unlike Dubai), its certainly better than Saudi, which I would definitely NOT recommend for an unattached female. Just my two pennies worth, having lived in both the KSA and the UAE for over 3 years each.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:12 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

If you go to Abu Dhabi you will also spend more on the lifestyle there...you may even end up getting into debt like a good number of expats unless you are disciplined and put limitations on yourself.

N.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lionheart
Although I wouldn't personally describe Abu Dhabi as much of a fun place (unlike Dubai), its certainly better than Saudi, which I would definitely NOT recommend for an unattached female. Just my two pennies worth, having lived in both the KSA and the UAE for over 3 years each.

yeah that is my main hesitation about living in Saudi: being a single female. As for AD not really being that fun, I am planning on living in Dubai and joining a car pool to work in AD. I have read my posts about how horrendous the commutes are as a result of the crazy drivers and so forth; however, am wiilling to do it as I have commuted pretty much my entire work career so i am used to it..

And in regards to Norm_UK: yeah i def dont want to get myself in more debt. last thing i want to do... am sure can be fairly disciplined with my expenditures as am not looking to upgrade cars, fancy apartment, dine at upscale restaurants or things of that nature.. my spending is primarily directed towards nightlife as I go out during weekdays and weekends... will have to tame that and definitely keep a strict budget!

seems like i have my mind set but whenever i think of the saudi money, it confuses me all over again!!

Last edited by MovingToMidEast; Nov 3rd 2009 at 7:40 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

RedRoar75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
If you go to Abu Dhabi you will also spend more on the lifestyle there...you may even end up getting into debt like a good number of expats unless you are disciplined and put limitations on yourself.

N.
Exactly - if you have some self control, then AD would be fine... but if you don't, then let it be taken out of your hands and head to KSA.

If you don't mind me asking - how big are your debts? Are we talking 10K GBP or 100K GBP?

We've been in Dubai for 3 mths now - and we've found that there are plenty of things to spend your money on but if you have a degree of self discpline its fairly easy to save a decent wedge.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedRoar75
Exactly - if you have some self control, then AD would be fine... but if you don't, then let it be taken out of your hands and head to KSA.

If you don't mind me asking - how big are your debts? Are we talking 10K GBP or 100K GBP?

We've been in Dubai for 3 mths now - and we've found that there are plenty of things to spend your money on but if you have a degree of self discpline its fairly easy to save a decent wedge.

Just have respect for the money you are spending. I'm always amazed to see people spending 'only' 40Dh on a bottle of beer at the Intercon in AD as if it was nothing. 40Dh is 7 quid! People seem to think that 100Dh is a tenner, when it is nearer £20.

As for living in Saudi... for a single woman, this is a crazy idea. They are offering you lots of money as it's a shithole.

What will you be doing in AD that will require crazy hours?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:31 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse

As for living in Saudi... for a single woman, this is a crazy idea. They are offering you lots of money as it's a shithole.

What will you be doing in AD that will require crazy hours?

The Aramco compound is not a bad place - certainly livable for a year or two to save cash up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.