British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Mobile Speed Camera (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/mobile-speed-camera-692598/)

Bigtaff Nov 7th 2010 9:35 am

Mobile Speed Camera

You may have all seen this vehicle already but thought best put it on here anyway. There is an unmarked Nissan X-Trail, White in colour, that looks like a vehicle broken down on the hard shoulder putting itself around Dubai at the moment. It sits with its rear door open and the whole boot is full of camera and speed measuring equipment. I don't know if its a device that flashes (so you would know that you had been caught) or whether they are using similar equipment to the UK where flash isn't needed (during daylight).

I've only seen it South bound on the 611 most mornings & on Sheikh Zayed Rd near Al Barsha North bound but I'm not driving around all day so it may well have sweet spots that it goes to at varying times of the day.

Blue Cat Nov 7th 2010 9:37 am

Re: Mobile Speed Camera

I saw it the other day literally hidden under the flyover near Mall of the Emirates, I have not idea how they even got the car in there!

Bigtaff Jan 5th 2011 5:17 am

Dubai now has 2 of these bloody Nissan X-Trails kitted out, both White in colour. They also seem to be able to jack the camera equipment up as well because I've seen them a few times with the rear door closed but camera's visible through rear glass. When they first appeared the door obscured the camera when closed so don't take it for granted that because the door is shut, its not in operation any more!!

On the 611 I have seen U.A.Q Police using a very small pair of tripods with camera and speed measuring device, hidden behind concrete barriers.

typical Jan 5th 2011 9:49 am

The two of them were parked next to each other at Barsha northbound on SZR this morning :confused:

The Dean Jan 5th 2011 10:03 am

........ all of which reminds me of this recent story from the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-12115179

A motorist who flashed his lights at oncoming cars to warn them of a speed trap has been found guilty of obstructing the police in their duties.

Bizarre - especially as the new "RAC Road Atlas of Great Britain 2011" clearly shows (presumably with permission) where speed cameras are situated............ :confused:

Blue Cat Jan 5th 2011 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Bigtaff (Post 9078355)
Dubai now has 2 of these bloody Nissan X-Trails kitted out, both White in colour. They also seem to be able to jack the camera equipment up as well because I've seen them a few times with the rear door closed but camera's visible through rear glass. When they first appeared the door obscured the camera when closed so don't take it for granted that because the door is shut, its not in operation any more!!

On the 611 I have seen U.A.Q Police using a very small pair of tripods with camera and speed measuring device, hidden behind concrete barriers.

there is more than any two !!

Bigtaff Jan 5th 2011 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9078844)
there is more than any two !!

I don't get you, sorry :confused:

As for speed camera's in the UK - Speed camera location maps and GPS positioners are fine, apparently (or were last time I owned one anyway), but Detectors are illegal. Doesn't make sense, does it?! One tells you there is a speed camera coming up, the other tells you your actually being measured for speed but by the time that happens its too late anyway!! So why ban that one? In the case of laser measuring anyway! The older radar gun at least has some "splash" from measuring the car in front of you etc so is useful BUT think most of these have been replaced by laser guns now.

kittycat1 Jan 5th 2011 5:07 pm

But isn't the point of speed cameras in the UK to slow drivers down at accident hotspots, pedestrian areas,built up areas etc- its more of a deterrent- whereas here they seem absolutely useless as so many drivers just pay the fines and off they go again- now if they bought in a points system like in the UK I wonder if there would be any difference? 12 points and you're banned...

The Dean Jan 5th 2011 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9079689)
But isn't the point of speed cameras in the UK to slow drivers down at accident hotspots, pedestrian areas,built up areas etc- its more of a deterrent- whereas here they seem absolutely useless as so many drivers just pay the fines and off they go again- now if they bought in a points system like in the UK I wonder if there would be any difference? 12 points and you're banned...

Absolutely not.

The point of speed cameras in the UK is not to discourage speeding - it is to raise revenue. Proof? My local council published its budget for the following fiscal year, and it included a certain (large) sum for speeding and parking penalties.

At the public meeting when the budget was revealed, someone in the audience asked 'what happens if nobody breaks a speed limit or parks illegally? will the council have a shorfall, and how will they make it up?'.

Response from the Leader of the Council?

Silence.

Bigtaff Jan 5th 2011 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9079689)

They do have a point system here but not for speeding - apart from horrendous speeding, it seems. I think over 200kmh gets you a ban plus black points and a fine but generally it's just a fine where speeding is concerned. It IS published as a deterrent, you're right BUT it is a major money maker for the councils or government or whoever!?! The cameras were changed from grey to yellow in the UK, to highlight the fact that it wasn't a hidden money making machine, you can easily spot it but they are still allowed to use unmarked cars for monitoring speed and prosecution?! Hmmmm......

Blue Cat Jan 6th 2011 3:26 am

Originally Posted by Bigtaff (Post 9079648)
I don't get you, sorry :confused:

As for speed camera's in the UK - Speed camera location maps and GPS positioners are fine, apparently (or were last time I owned one anyway), but Detectors are illegal. Doesn't make sense, does it?! One tells you there is a speed camera coming up, the other tells you your actually being measured for speed but by the time that happens its too late anyway!! So why ban that one? In the case of laser measuring anyway! The older radar gun at least has some "splash" from measuring the car in front of you etc so is useful BUT think most of these have been replaced by laser guns now.

you said two speed camera car thingies, I saw 4 just yesterday!

Bigtaff Jan 6th 2011 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9080899)
you said two speed camera car thingies, I saw 4 just yesterday!

Really? All white Nissan X-trails? I will have to keep a note of registrations to see exactly how many they do have!!

I take it you saw them all in a close period of time, rather than the same two relocating? They don't seem to sit for long in the same place :sneaky:

Blue Cat Jan 6th 2011 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Bigtaff (Post 9080946)
Really? All white Nissan X-trails? I will have to keep a note of registrations to see exactly how many they do have!!

I take it you saw them all in a close period of time, rather than the same two relocating? They don't seem to sit for long in the same place :sneaky:

under fly over at MOE, outside Wellington School, on flyover at Ranches and one near the Metropolitan Hotel, I am pretty sure there are more than 2. Also there are speed cameras every day on the road that leads from Knowledge Village, parallel to Al Sufouh Road down to the Al Wasl (runs behind Police College)

Bigtaff Jan 6th 2011 4:25 am

I've had to curb my driving now, cost me 2700AED last month :( My own fault of course but doesn't make it any easier to accept :thumbdown:

Blue Cat Jan 6th 2011 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Bigtaff (Post 9080985)
I've had to curb my driving now, cost me 2700AED last month :( My own fault of course but doesn't make it any easier to accept :thumbdown:

the road behind me is 60km, 60!!! I got done three times in 10 days for doing 70! hardly fast is it :(