British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Mobile phones - on the go! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/mobile-phones-go-526765/)

MrsHaps Apr 4th 2008 9:28 am

Mobile phones - on the go!

I have searched the forum for information and i understand it is between DU and Etisalat.

I also see Blackberry's do not work on DU.

Question:

How expensive are sim cards in Dubai and What are the costs to ring internationally?

I was not planning to get internet in my home to begin with therefore getting a blackberry for contact with family and friends is the answer, does anyone have a blackberry if so can you please tell me how much you pay?

I read it is better to bring in a good UK mobile and put a cheap sim card in... is it? Also does this include a UK Blackberry?

Thanks

Blue Cat Apr 4th 2008 10:04 am

Re: Mobile phones - on the go!

I know nothing about Blackberry phones so I am of no help there. The last I heard was that you had to have a corporate account with Etisalat to be able to use one but this is probably out of date now. Avoid DU they are crap, their coverage isn't great. I have to have them for internet as Etisalat don't cover the area where I live but I have an Etisalat sim card. No idea how much they are!! calls are cheap, my bill is about 1000 dhs every six months. I don't use it for International Calls.

The system is different here to the UK. You buy your handset and sim card and then you are on your way! no contracts etc. I am sure that your handsets would work here, mine here works in the UK.

oh5 Apr 4th 2008 10:18 am

Stick with Etisalat for now, hopefully Vodafone doesn't suck when they start up.
Sim card prices will vary according to the number you get. If the sequence is 'good' then the more expensive your sim will be. Otherwise you should be able to get one pretty cheap.

Cost of international calls vary depending on the time of the day but calls to the UK during off peak is about 2.5-3 AED a minute and to the US 1.8-2.25 AED a minute.

If you intend to use a blackberry for web browsing, make sure you get the Etisalat BIS service otherwise you end up paying 1 fil per kb. The BIS service isn't too expensive and if you do end up getting you're phone from the UK make sure it's unlocked.

IndieG Apr 4th 2008 12:17 pm

Will let you have the details on Sunday as I have one - in fact using one at this very moment :)

Madam Medusa Apr 4th 2008 1:17 pm

my hubbie uses a blackberry constantly...and i mean constantly...but it's from the uk, so no idea what the costs are here. i hate the bloody things...

MM, xx

IndieG Apr 4th 2008 1:28 pm

I use the BB to delete all the junk emails I get from colleagues. Love returning to a clean In box...............LOL

Peeps in my office have a habit of sending hundreds of emails and copying half the office for no particular reason......Grrrrrrr

Confucius Apr 4th 2008 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by IndieG (Post 6158359)
Will let you have the details on Sunday as I have one - in fact using one at this very moment :)

Show off...

jason4004 Apr 4th 2008 3:27 pm

I suppose I'll have to ditch my iphone when I move out to UAE but I have heard great things about the skype phone for free calls (if you both have one). Do most people get a new phone for UAE when arriving?

ScotsExpat Apr 4th 2008 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by jason4004 (Post 6159112)
I suppose I'll have to ditch my iphone when I move out to UAE but I have heard great things about the skype phone for free calls (if you both have one). Do most people get a new phone for UAE when arriving?

God, no.... I still have my O2 contract in the UK and use the phone upgrade I get every year to suply me with unlocked tri-band phones when travelling....

If your iPhone is locked, you have to decide whether you wanna keep a UK number, and simply use it sparingly...

You could, of course, take the iPhone with you and get it unlocked............

jason4004 Apr 4th 2008 3:45 pm

Yer then apple do there next update when you sync it through itunes and it screws it up - so I have heard.

IndieG Apr 4th 2008 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 6158880)
Show off...

:confused: eh? Every eejit apart from the faraash in my office seems to have one.... tbh I wouldn't bother keeping one if I had to pay for it from my pocket....

ScotsExpat Apr 4th 2008 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by jason4004 (Post 6159187)
Yer then apple do there next update when you sync it through itunes and it screws it up - so I have heard.

Search iphone on here, we had this same conversation not too long ago...

Upshot was, there is a way around it..............

Confucius Apr 4th 2008 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by IndieG (Post 6159386)
:confused: eh? Every eejit apart from the faraash in my office seems to have one.... tbh I wouldn't bother keeping one if I had to pay for it from my pocket....

Still...Even your farrash is in the upper strata of society...

Eeyore Apr 4th 2008 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by jason4004 (Post 6159187)

Syncing doesn't harm the phone at all.

If new firmware is available, iTunes will ask you if you want to update your phone - it doesn't just go ahead and do it by itself. As long as you click "No", you won't have any problems.

Even if you do have a brainstorm and click "Yes" and end up re-locking and otherwise buggering up your phone, it's possible to undo the damage, but it takes an hour or two and a bit of computer savvy.

Just Browsing Apr 4th 2008 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by oh5 (Post 6157910)
hopefully Vodafone doesn't suck when they start up.

Why, are Voda coming to town?