Mobile Phones

Old Jan 14th 2006, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mobile Phones

Seems I have problems with these new fandangled devices.

Some may recall my last phone got nuked in a microwave in a poor attempt at trying to dry it after it got a bit damp.

I bought a nice new phone....but in a drunken stupor I decided it would be a good idea to do rollie pollies down a sand dune....with my poor mobile in my pocket.
Phone doesn't go anymore as it's chocka block full of sand.

Anyway - until that phone gets fixed i am using an old one i found that I had in UK....but it says "SIM not vaild" when I put my etisalt sim card in.

Is this something to do with UK phones having a block or something on them and you need to have them unblocked or something?

Anyway I can get it working?

Amazing how much you depend on a mobile these days...
Old Jan 14th 2006, 8:25 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile Phones

Originally Posted by Jeeper
Seems I have problems with these new fandangled devices.

Some may recall my last phone got nuked in a microwave in a poor attempt at trying to dry it after it got a bit damp.

I bought a nice new phone....but in a drunken stupor I decided it would be a good idea to do rollie pollies down a sand dune....with my poor mobile in my pocket.
Phone doesn't go anymore as it's chocka block full of sand.

Anyway - until that phone gets fixed i am using an old one i found that I had in UK....but it says "SIM not vaild" when I put my etisalt sim card in.

Is this something to do with UK phones having a block or something on them and you need to have them unblocked or something?

Anyway I can get it working?

Amazing how much you depend on a mobile these days...

I would think that your uk phone needs to be unblocked ... My mum had to the same prob ( Not rolling around in the sand) and needed to get her uk phone sorted when she came out to us a year ago but they lost all her numbers on the darned thing.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Your phone is locked. The cost of unlocking is probably AED60-150 depending on what make and model it is.

If I were you, I'd go to Carrefour and buy the cheapest thing they have. Maybe you want to look into a phone "protector" of some kind? I've seen these slightly-condom-looking thingies in the mall. That might keep the sand/beer/dirt/etc from messing up your next mobile.

I've never needed to use one, but then again - I'm not spastic.

Good luck!
Old Jan 14th 2006, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know the model number of the old nokia phone that had the rubber casing around it - the one you could apparently drop and it would sitll work.....?
Old Jan 14th 2006, 8:59 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know the model number of the old nokia phone that had the rubber casing around it - the one you could apparently drop and it would sitll work.....?
Its the Nokia 5140

(and it's just taken my mate 10mins to open it, must be fairly weather/sand/Matt proof!!)
Old Jan 14th 2006, 9:40 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

explains why u didnt get my texts...

tis the Nokia 5210, mate.

Also, you could try out ANY Axiom shops.... they are at all Spinneys outlets as well, I think, which makes it convenient for you.

Otherwise, they have a big Axiom Phone Clinic on SZR, in one of the 5 little buildings just after the Dusit, on your way into Dubai.

Let me know if you have any problems.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Face81
explains why u didnt get my texts...

tis the Nokia 5210, mate.

Also, you could try out ANY Axiom shops.... they are at all Spinneys outlets as well, I think, which makes it convenient for you.

Otherwise, they have a big Axiom Phone Clinic on SZR, in one of the 5 little buildings just after the Dusit, on your way into Dubai.

Let me know if you have any problems.
I hear it's waterproof until 50mtrs.....
Old Jan 14th 2006, 2:04 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shoushou
I hear it's waterproof until 50mtrs.....
I have no idea! Who tried that, you?
Old Jan 14th 2006, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Face81
I have no idea! Who tried that, you?
Yes,with a friends little brother's phone....
the water was more than 50mtrs away though....
Old Jan 14th 2006, 5:39 pm
W10

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/unlock/

You can unblock it using this site. It will cost you about 3 quid and take you about 5 minutes.

I used it for my UK mobile and loads of other people's

Old Jan 14th 2006, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

3 squid? Ouch!

Originally Posted by W10
http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/unlock/

You can unblock it using this site. It will cost you about 3 quid and take you about 5 minutes.

I used it for my UK mobile and loads of other people's