Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Mobile Phone Networks in Kuwait

Mobile Phone Networks in Kuwait

Old Jul 31st 2007, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mobile Phone Networks in Kuwait

Hi

Am moving on Friday 17th August to new job in Kuwait City! I was out a couple of weeks ago for interviews...but when anyone called or left a voicemail on my O2 Pay as You Go mobile, I paid for those incoming messages and calls. It was horrendous.

Can anyone advise on what i should do for mobile phone network coverage in Kuwait - should I wait and buy one there?

Thanks in advance

Oh - if you have any other helpful words of wisdom on living in Kuwait that would be good also
Old Jul 31st 2007, 1:48 pm
Wor Jackie

Jackie Milburn is just really niceJackie Milburn is just really niceJackie Milburn is just really niceJackie Milburn is just really niceJackie Milburn is just really niceJackie Milburn is just really niceJackie Milburn is just really niceJackie Milburn is just really niceJackie Milburn is just really niceJackie Milburn is just really niceJackie Milburn is just really nice
Default Re: Mobile Phone Networks in Kuwait

Wait until you get there, and Kuwait has two mobile companies; Mobile Telecommuncations Co. (MTC) and National Mobile Telecommunications Co. (Wataniya).

Do a search for tarifs etc.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:06 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Get Skype in for a UK phone registration as a suggestion because it may be cheaper for your short term problem but is an essential for moving here. Phones in K are a PIA. You are not allowed to buy a simcard until you have a civil id (2 months) and to get LL you need same but 500KG (YES 800 GBP (I've just noticed that my keyboard does not have the pound sterling symbol!)) deposit. For skype you need internet access - probably at work until you get adsl from LL or GSM.

K is a good place to work but it is not easy all of the time. It is a good choice so good luck.

A
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:29 am
Banned

The Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really nice

Due to my business I travel extensively through the Middle East and I use a satellite phone. I realise it could be cost prohibitive for most people, but if cost is not a factor, and you absolutely need to stay in touch, I strongly recommend: http://www.thuraya.com/
Old Aug 1st 2007, 5:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Diabolical
Due to my business I travel extensively through the Middle East and I use a satellite phone. I realise it could be cost prohibitive for most people, but if cost is not a factor, and you absolutely need to stay in touch, I strongly recommend: http://www.thuraya.com/
it's the preferred choice of all successful businessmen...

MM, xx
Old Aug 1st 2007, 5:36 am
Banned

The Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really niceThe Diabolical is just really nice

Well it works for me. Wether I'm on an offshore oil rig, or the back streets of Calcutta, the phone always works.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:53 am
Expats Newboy

JohnG will become famous soon enoughJohnG will become famous soon enough

Another option for ya....... on the plane over get an international sim card, they won't be as cheap as a Kuwait one but a lot cheaper than O2. I don't know what the company is but you can top it up with a credit card from anywhere....... like I said, probably not as cheap as a local sim card but way cheaper than using a UK one...
Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for your replies. I think the Satellite phone will need to wait until I have the Gulfstream parked in the garage

Originally Posted by Dago
Get Skype in for a UK phone registration as a suggestion because it may be cheaper for your short term problem but is an essential for moving here. Phones in K are a PIA. You are not allowed to buy a simcard until you have a civil id (2 months) and to get LL you need same but 500KG (YES 800 GBP (I've just noticed that my keyboard does not have the pound sterling symbol!)) deposit. For skype you need internet access - probably at work until you get adsl from LL or GSM.

K is a good place to work but it is not easy all of the time. It is a good choice so good luck.

A
Skype of course will be essential. Sorry to be thick - what do you mean by 'LL' - is this the name of an ISP over there? What's the broadband infrastructure like? I would hope that apartments (on my limited research) come with broadband installed. When you say you cannot buy a Simcard until you have a Civil ID - how do you mean? I'll be living there in a permanent job with Alghanim for forseeable future. The population of expats before me must know how all this works Still feels like jumping in at the deep-end though !

Cheers
Stuart
Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:22 am
Expats Newboy

LL = Land Line I think mate.!!!!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JohnG
LL = Land Line I think mate.!!!!

Ha - the simple things are the hardest i find lol. To be honest not having a damn mobile for a while might be a good thing. Looking forward to my trip on 17th August. Not so sure how i'll cope with the lack of alcohol and associated social structures but i'm sure i'll get to know people...any suggestions/tips you have would be great.

S
Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:33 am
Expats Newboy

Originally Posted by stuabroad
Ha - the simple things are the hardest i find lol. To be honest not having a damn mobile for a while might be a good thing. Looking forward to my trip on 17th August. Not so sure how i'll cope with the lack of alcohol and associated social structures but i'm sure i'll get to know people...any suggestions/tips you have would be great.

S
Come to Bahrain........ ain't remotley dry here.!!!