Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Misers in the Middle East

Misers in the Middle East

Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Misers in the Middle East

I am not sure if this is an illness only inflicting teachers. I sauspect it is more widespread.

People are weird. I know one guy in KSA who stopped using his car because he thought he was spending too much on petrol. And the guys in British Aerospace who declined an invitation to go over to Aramco for lunch because you have to pay in the staff canteen ! (Food in BAe is free !)

In other jobs in KSA, theft of teabags from staff room and toilet rolls from the cleaners' cupboard were common !

Within teaching circles in KSA we used to joke about the "500 Club", a secret society whose members swear to live on less than 500 SR a month (=500 AED or the same in Qatari Riyals)

Last edited by scot47; Jan 16th 2013 at 12:18 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Misers in the Middle East

Originally Posted by scot47
I am not sure if this is an illness only inflicting teachers. I sauspect it is more widespread.

People are weird. I know one guy in KSA who stopped using his car because he thought he was spending too much on petrol. And the guys in British Aerospace who declined an invitation to go over to Aramco for lunch because you have to pay in the satff canteen !

In other jobs in KSA, theft of teabags from staff room and toilet rolls from the cleaners' cupboard were common !

Within teaching circles in KSA we used to joke about the "500 Club", a secret society whose members swear to live on less than 500 SR a month (=500 AED or the same in Qatari Riyals)

There's a few here mate , they'd peel an apple in a jacket pocket . They also tend to circumnavigate the bar when it's their shout .

Wankers is the word i think we're looking for .
Old Jan 16th 2013, 11:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by co durham boy
There's a few here mate , they'd peel an apple in a jacket pocket . They also tend to circumnavigate the bar when it's their shout .

Wankers is the word i think we're looking for .
Peel an apple in a jacket pocket? Never heard that before.

"Oh shit, sorry boys, I left my wallet at home" - Used to get used by a pal of mine so regularly I always made sure I had cash for him to get a cab home.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The Egyptian expression is "They would steal the sugar from your tea!" They know a thing or two those Egyptians ! Well, 5000 years of Kleptocracy !
Old Jan 16th 2013, 12:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

The Egyptian expression is "They would steal the sugar from your tea!" They know a thing or two those Egyptians ! Well, 5000 years of Kleptocracy !
Egyptians just generally aren't to be trusted.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

People are weird. I know one guy in KSA who stopped using his car because he thought he was spending too much on petrol. And the guys in British Aerospace who declined an invitation to go over to Aramco for lunch because you have to pay in the staff canteen ! (Food in BAe is free !)

Pilots are tighter than a nuns chuff too...
Old Jan 16th 2013, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
"Oh shit, sorry boys, I left my wallet at home" - Used to get used by a pal of mine so regularly I always made sure I had cash for him to get a cab home.
Scotmen wear kilts because there is nowhere to put a wallet
Old Jan 16th 2013, 1:07 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Mentalist isn't Scottish?
Old Jan 16th 2013, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

In my experience of being in Doha, expats in general seem tighter here that in the UAE. For example, we tried to hold a social for our football team and go for brunch (at a cost of 300 chips).

At least 5 ppl said they couldn't afford it, which to me begs the question what the fvck are they doing in Qatar?
Old Jan 16th 2013, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011
In my experience of being in Doha, expats in general seem tighter here that in the UAE. For example, we tried to hold a social for our football team and go for brunch (at a cost of 300 chips).

At least 5 ppl said they couldn't afford it, which to me begs the question what the fvck are they doing in Qatar?
And needless to say, in the UAE, that is the LAST excuse you would ever hear anyone say given that everyone is considerably richer than yow.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011

Met a lot of tight-arsed people in Doha; would never go out for a drink anywhere, wouldn't even contemplate going out for a meal and were obsessed with the money they were sending home - which, no doubt they quacked about like Scrooge McDuck , but never spent. How utterly joyless they were! For all the difference it would have made, they may as well have been in Riyadh, busily counting their coins up!

Last edited by OleJanx; Jan 16th 2013 at 2:12 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 1:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't that what the crack in the arse is for?
Old Jan 16th 2013, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Met a lot of tight-arsed people in Doha; would never go out for a drink anywhere, wouldn't even contemplate going oout for a meal and were obsessed with the money they were sending home - which, no doubt they quacked about like Scrooge McDuck , but never spent. How utterly joyless they were! For all the difference it would have made, they may as well have been in Riyadh, busily counting their coins up!
Old Jan 16th 2013, 2:32 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Not so, the Sporran does that job and is part of the national dress.

Roll on 2014 when I'll exercise my postal vote and rid my homeland of the sassenach oppressors.

Only two more Burns' Suppers to go...
Old Jan 16th 2013, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Round-Bum is an unknown quantity at this point

"Be careful in the supermarket, some brand are more expensive..."
"We'll go halves on the cleaning stuff..."
"Lunch? No, I've got something in the fridge for after work..."
"I picked you up some apple juice. That'll be..."

And many more.

This is KSA, we're on good money (He's probably on more than me as a "consultant") with nothing really to spend it on. Stuff here is relatively cheap... maybe it's a state of mind you get after a while.

@ scot47 - Spending too much on petrol? In KSA? That's some seriously tight shit!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.