Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Mirdiff - DIFC commute time

Mirdiff - DIFC commute time

Old Jun 16th 2010, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mirdiff - DIFC commute time

...so what is it?
Old Jun 16th 2010, 1:44 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mirdiff - DIFC commute time

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
...so what is it?
it's about 20 mins if nothing weird happens along the way...depends how easily you can get out of Mirdif...
Business Bay brigde is normally ok in the mornings...
Getting back you'll spend the most time getting back into Mirdif, unless you go through the Mirdif City Centre parking garage...

Last edited by MataHari; Jun 16th 2010 at 1:47 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 1:51 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

...so what is it?
It's the time taken to get from one point to another usually during the "commute' time when many others are trying to achieve the same goal.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
it's about 20 mins if nothing weird happens along the way...depends how easily you can get out of Mirdif...
Business Bay brigde is normally ok in the mornings...
Getting back you'll spend the most time getting back into Mirdif, unless you go through the Mirdif City Centre parking garage...
ok, thanks - so inside my 20minute zone.

i assume it's so cheap there as it's in the middle of nowhere?
Old Jun 16th 2010, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

lisalou24 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am too moving to mirdif area - our boys are going to school there and wanted to base us near to as possible as probably be getting the school bus?!

My commute is to Silicon Oasis, and hubby's is to Monarch Office Tower,
One Sheikh Zayed Road.

I think mine should only be a short travel, as my boss apparently also lives in Mirdif. However, not sure on the time to travel to hubbys work?! Also how good are taxis or metro from here to hubby work address, as unsure if we will be getting 2x cars to start with, and I might be having the car to drop/pick-up kids to and from school to start with whilst they get used to their new school for the first couple of weeks.

Thanks
Old Jun 16th 2010, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

ok, thanks - so inside my 20minute zone.

i assume it's so cheap there as it's in the middle of nowhere?
wasnt it in the paper today about mirdiff being the cheapest villa locations now.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by busybee2
wasnt it in the paper today about mirdiff being the cheapest villa locations now.
hence my interest... but I want to make sure that it 'works' too.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

hence my interest... but I want to make sure that it 'works' too.
well anywhere in dxb is cheaper than here in ab dabs
Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

You're not going to become a Mirdiff Martyr, are you?

I've only been there twice in nearly three years, but it seems halfway decent. Know people who are happy there, and others who were happy to move elsewhere.

Why Mirdiff? It's cheap but what is your budget?
Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

lisalou24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ethos83
You're not going to become a Mirdiff Martyr, are you?

I've only been there twice in nearly three years, but it seems halfway decent. Know people who are happy there, and others who were happy to move elsewhere.

Why Mirdiff? It's cheap but what is your budget?
I'm paying 12,000AED per month for a 3bed villa + maids room, fully furnished inc bills/internet. Its on a month to month basis, so thought this was ideal to get us started, and then can give us time to look around if we don't like etc. As on a month to month contract, so no long term contract either.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:27 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

ok...Mirdif
It's not really in the middle of nowhere...it's a nice area which has a different feel to it than anywhere else in Dubai...think it's also cause it's not completely flat (but don't think Switserland)...
It used to be somewhat isolated from the rest of Dubai, but that's no longer the case. Since the beginning of the year there is a big shopping mall, Mirdif City Center with all the usual shops, a big Carrefour, foodcourts, nice restaurants like Mango Tree and Carluccio and the furniture shop that gets all the expat women on heat...and now I've forgotten what it's called, lol...probably cause I hate the stuff they sell...it will come to me in a minute.
Aparently it's got a good cinema as well. And a bit of a different kids play area.

Also nearby are Arabian Center, bit more 'local' in feel but not bad, big Homes R us there, Matelan which is the only one in Dubai I think...

Festival City (Ikea!!!) is only 10 minutes away, another big mall with M&S and loads and loads of shops.

Then there is Uptown Mirdif, main attraction these days is Spinneys, but during the cooler months it's still a nice place to have a bit to eat or a coffee in the evening. Now it's just dead as it's too hot.

Apart from that there are loads of small centres around, mostely located near the mosques with the typical supermarkets, pharmacies, dry cleaners, shwarma shops, hair dressers (saloon...errrr) etc etc

Some good schools, Uptown primary and Royal Dubai are very popular...

Massive park, Mushrif park, and smaller parks dotted around with play areas and basketball fields etc.

With the Business Bay bridge it's easy to go to the other side of town, or just go over the Garhoud Bridge, which used to be a nightmare but for the past year it's been ok.

It takes me about 30 mins from my house to Jumeira Beach park, 40 mins tops to the Marina/JBR. Taxi from Mirdif to the Marina is about 70 dhs.

Loads of villas for rent...prices have gone down a lot in the past year, most are compounds, anything from 6 to god knows how much, there are a few massive ones but mostely they are small, often with really nice pools etc.
There are individual villas but not many come on the market, the bigger ones are mostely occupied by locals who don't move out.

The only downside...it's near the airport which means that some parts have aircraft noise. Some people will never get used to this, think it's hard to know in advance how you react to it. We have lived here over 5 years now, and it's never bothered me at all, my kids have never woken up or anything, we recently moved and the villa I found was (again) directly underneath the flight path and that was never even for a second a reason not to move there...but again, it's something that is different for everybody.

The new Shorooq or whatever it's called compound isn't bad if you like that sort of thing...think 4 bedroom villas now go for about 150,000...nice houses with good gardens (well, most of them) kind of nice layout but not really spacious, still quite nice.

Last edited by MataHari; Jun 16th 2010 at 4:32 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ok...Mirdif
It's not really in the middle of nowhere...it's a nice area which has a different feel to it than anywhere else in Dubai...think it's also cause it's not completely flat (but don't think Switserland)...
It used to be somewhat isolated from the rest of Dubai, but that's no longer the case. Since the beginning of the year there is a big shopping mall, Mirdif City Center with all the usual shops, a big Carrefour, foodcourts, nice restaurants like Mango Tree and Carluccio and the furniture shop that gets all the expat women on heat...and now I've forgotten what it's called, lol...probably cause I hate the stuff they sell...it will come to me in a minute.
Aparently it's got a good cinema as well. And a bit of a different kids play area.

Also nearby are Arabian Center, bit more 'local' in feel but not bad, big Homes R us there, Matelan which is the only one in Dubai I think...

Festival City (Ikea!!!) is only 10 minutes away, another big mall with M&S and loads and loads of shops.

Then there is Uptown Mirdif, main attraction these days is Spinneys, but during the cooler months it's still a nice place to have a bit to eat or a coffee in the evening. Now it's just dead as it's too hot.

Apart from that there are loads of small centres around, mostely located near the mosques with the typical supermarkets, pharmacies, dry cleaners, shwarma shops, hair dressers (saloon...errrr) etc etc

Massive park, Mushrif park, and smaller parks dotted around with play areas and basketball fields etc.

With the Business Bay bridge it's easy to go to the other side of town, or just go over the Garhoud Bridge, which used to be a nightmare but for the past year it's been ok.

It takes me about 30 mins from my house to Jumeira Beach park, 40 mins tops to the Marina/JBR. Taxi from Mirdif to the Marina is about 70 dhs.

Loads of villas for rent...prices have gone down a lot in the past year, most are compounds, anything from 6 to god knows how much, there are a few massive ones but mostely they are small, often with really nice pools etc.
There are individual villas but not many come on the market, the bigger ones are mostely occupied by locals who don't move out.

The only downside...it's near the airport which means that some parts have aircraft noise. Some people will never get used to this, think it's hard to know in advance how you react to it. We have lived here over 5 years now, and it's never bothered me at all, my kids have never woken up or anything, we recently moved and the villa I found was (again) directly underneath the flight path and that was never even for a second a reason not to move there...but again, it's something that is different for everybody.

The new Shorooq or whatever it's called compound isn't bad if you like that sort of thing...think 4 bedroom villas now go for about 150,000...nice houses with good gardens (well, most of them) kind of nice layout but not really spacious, still quite nice.
is it "crate and bucket" hehehe the one that you cant remember the name of
Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I once overheard someone say that she could never live anywhere east of Al Wasl....

It's either Crate & Barrel or Pottery Barn. Both popular in the US. Compared to most furniture places on offer in Dubai, they offer relatively normal looking furniture.

ok...Mirdif

Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I once overheard someone say that she could never live anywhere east of Al Wasl....

It's either Crate & Barrel or Pottery Barn. Both popular in the US. Compared to most furniture places on offer in Dubai, they offer relatively normal looking furniture.
yeh i was being funny really knew it was barrel
Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:49 pm
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by busybee2
yeh i was being funny really knew it was barrel
no...it's Pottery Barn...sad furniture for sad people...fake country style.
Some of the kids stuff is ok.
Crate and Barrel isn't bad, at least it's sort of basic and good quality, not cheap though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.