Reload this Page >

Mirdif or Motor City?

Mirdif or Motor City?

Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

bramleywood is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Mirdif or Motor City?

Mirdif or Motor City?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been given the choice ( by my soon to be employer) of either Mirdif or Motor City as home for me and my family (wife, three kids).....feel a bit ripped off as the "more than likely" spot was going to be Jumeirah or Umm Sequiemm which was close to work and (I think) a better range of schools.

Any advice from expats already there on the merits (or otherwise) of these areas and potential schools?

Thanks in advance

D & B
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:25 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mirdif or Motor City?

be prepared to feel worse, Motor City isn't finished?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Are you in Dubai?

When you say it isn't finished, will I be rendering the walls myself, or simply experiencing Lawrence Of Arabia as the winds sweep thru?

D & B

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
be prepared to feel worse, Motor City isn't finished?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:29 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bramleywood
Are you in Dubai?

When you say it isn't finished, will I be rendering the walls myself, or simply experiencing Lawrence Of Arabia as the winds sweep thru?

D & B

the latter I think? if Motor City is the area that I think it is - on the Emirates Road, near the Arabian Ranches? it aint finished trust me. Take Mirdif. Where is your office? which schools have you picked?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:30 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

no idea about Motor City...but I live in Mirdif, have for the past 4 years, and am happy here...there's the planes but they don't bother me at all as long as they stay up in the air...
how old are your kids...my youngest goes to Uptown, it's a very popular school, so might be wise to put their names down in case of a waitinglist...
lots of houses for rent these days it seems, judging by the for rent signs I see when I drive round the neighbourhood so getting a place shouldn't be much of a problem...lots of new compounds but still quite a few independent villas as well...
Easy access to Emirates Road, Business Bay, Al Khail Road...
Nice outdoor shopping area called Uptown, few mins away there is Festival City shopping mall so no need to travel all over town for most things nowadays...and there is a massive new mall being built next to Mirdif...
Big park just at the back of Mirdif, Mushrif Park...
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Office is in Sheikh Zayed Rd near Safa Park...kids are 10,8 and 5, just started back at school here in Oz on Monday....arriving Dubai mid April..any tips for schools would be greatly appreciated!

D & B

the latter I think? if Motor City is the area that I think it is - on the Emirates Road, near the Arabian Ranches? it aint finished trust me. Take Mirdif. Where is your office? which schools have you picked?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:35 pm
Concierge

MataHari's children are at Uptown Mirdif as she has just mentioned. Try there.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Haven't come across Uptown school in my web trawlings...company will pay up to 35K for each kid so will that cover them at Uptown?
They (employer) took me to Mirdif when I was there for the interview to show me a spec villa......bloody planes smack bang on the roof!!....sounds like ther is a "quieter" section though from what you are saying.

cheers

D & B

Originally Posted by MataHari
no idea about Motor City...but I live in Mirdif, have for the past 4 years, and am happy here...there's the planes but they don't bother me at all as long as they stay up in the air...
how old are your kids...my youngest goes to Uptown, it's a very popular school, so might be wise to put their names down in case of a waitinglist...
lots of houses for rent these days it seems, judging by the for rent signs I see when I drive round the neighbourhood so getting a place shouldn't be much of a problem...lots of new compounds but still quite a few independent villas as well...
Easy access to Emirates Road, Business Bay, Al Khail Road...
Nice outdoor shopping area called Uptown, few mins away there is Festival City shopping mall so no need to travel all over town for most things nowadays...and there is a massive new mall being built next to Mirdif...
Big park just at the back of Mirdif, Mushrif Park...
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks ladies, very helpful...do you have any acquaintances that work for the national airline?

MataHari's children are at Uptown Mirdif as she has just mentioned. Try there.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:45 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

here's the link to the school...
http://www.taaleem.ae/home.php?sch_id=5

yes, there are quieter parts here, we live bang under the flightpath though and still it doesn't bother me, never has...guess it's a personal thing but I would never think of moving for that reason alone...

school fees are on the website, grade 3 - 5 is just under 35,000
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Mirdif or Motor City?

I have been reading other threads from Mirdiffians who LOVE the place as well (Expatwoman) so I'll take that as gospel. I'll check out the school site now.
On another thread, did you buy your car private,dealer,new or used (assuming you have one)

Thanks Matahari, much appreciated

D

here's the link to the school...
http://www.taaleem.ae/home.php?sch_id=5

yes, there are quieter parts here, we live bang under the flightpath though and still it doesn't bother me, never has...guess it's a personal thing but I would never think of moving for that reason alone...

school fees are on the website, grade 3 - 5 is just under 35,000
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:53 pm
hmmmm...nice

I have been reading other threads from Mirdiffians who LOVE the place as well (Expatwoman) so I'll take that as gospel. I'll check out the school site now.
On another thread, did you buy your car private,dealer,new or used (assuming you have one)

Thanks Matahari, much appreciated

D
well, its a bit of a love it or hate it kinda place I guess...it used to be remote, far from anything but that's not the case anymore...but there are still loads of people that have lived in Dubai for years and never have been to Mirdif once...(you know who you are...)

lol...yes I have a car...bought it new, but we also have a car that we bought privately second hand...
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

any advice for the NKOTB buying a vehicle?

well, its a bit of a love it or hate it kinda place I guess...it used to be remote, far from anything but that's not the case anymore...but there are still loads of people that have lived in Dubai for years and never have been to Mirdif once...(you know who you are...)

lol...yes I have a car...bought it new, but we also have a car that we bought privately second hand...
Old Feb 4th 2009, 1:18 pm
hmmmm...nice

any advice for the NKOTB buying a vehicle?

not really...it all depends what you want, how much money you want to spend, if you want to go into the desert etc etc...are you a boy racer or a slow mover, do you prefer a 4x4 or a normal car, bla bla bla...
second hand cars seem to be going quite cheap now cause there's quite a few people leaving and having to sell their car in a bit of a hurry...
Old Feb 4th 2009, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

but there are still loads of people that have lived in Dubai for years and never have been to Mirdif once...(you know who you are...)
who, moi...?? i'm still waiting to be invited...

MM, xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.